Various Items

  • Mauro Diotallevi
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2011
      [tap tap tap] Is this thing on? I haven't received any message since
      the end of April. Did the list fold? Is everyone on vacation? Or is
      everyone just having trouble thinking of things to talk about?

      If the lack of list activity is because no one could think of anything
      to talk about...

      Does anyone want to chime in on the budget "negotiations" currently
      going in Washington DC?

      Who would like to talk about X-Men: First Class?

      Cars 2 vs. The Critics: Did the science fiction spy elements cause
      critics to miss the boat on this one? (I personally loved this movie,
      which took a critical drubbing.)

      Did anyone else read the article in Discover magazine about using dirt
      to soak up CO2?
      http://discovermagazine.com/2011/may/06-could-dirt-help-heal-the-climate

      David Brin says he has finished a "major novel." Speculation?
      Rumors? Inside info?

      Discuss!

      --
      Mauro Diotallevi
      "The number you have dialed is imaginary.  Please rotate your phone 90

    • Wayne Eddy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2011
        The novel will be called "Existence"

        https://plus.google.com/116665417191671711571/posts

        On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 4:40 AM, Damon Agretto <damon.agretto@...> wrote:
        I'm receiving.

        Currently re-reading the Mars trilogy. I didn't see anything on Brin's facebook feed about a new book, but I'm looking forward to such a thing...

        Damon.

        On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Mauro Diotallevi <diotallevi@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Jo Anne
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 13, 2011
          Odd. I didn't get the original post from Mauro -- I get the digest and it
          didn't come through. I did get one today, though, and am happy the list
          isn't completely dead.

          I can only comment on Cars 2 vs. the critics. First off, I didn't know it
          was panned. I enjoyed it, although it was a little heavy handed on the oil
          bad guys. I loved Finn McMissile (an Aston-Martin, no less), but then
          Michael Cain is always good. And what happened to Lightning's original GF?
          I was disappointed they didn't retire George Carlin's character as well as
          Paul Newman's.

          The Engineer and I will be going to Yosemite for one night the end of July.
          Camping isn't an option. Does anyone have any *cheap* recommendations on
          where to stay?

          Amities,

          Jo Anne
          evenstar@...

        • Bryon Daly
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 13, 2011
            On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Jo Anne <evenstar@...> wrote:
            Odd.  I didn't get the original post from Mauro -- I get the digest and it
            didn't come through.  I did get one today, though, and am happy the list
            isn't completely dead.

            For me, Mauro's post got filtered in Gmail's spam box, along with Keith Henson's.  I didn't know about either one until Damon's reply showed up.

            I can only comment on Cars 2 vs. the critics.  First off, I didn't know it
            was panned.  I enjoyed it, although it was a little heavy handed on the oil
            bad guys.  I loved Finn McMissile (an Aston-Martin, no less), but then
            Michael Cain is always good.  And what happened to Lightning's original GF?
            I was disappointed they didn't retire George Carlin's character as well as
            Paul Newman's.

            I thought Cars 2 was enjoyable, but a step down from Pixar's usual greatness.  Mater's character arc was to shallow for me to have much feel for him beyond the comedy relief, and Lightning's "accept your friends as they are" subplot really felt forced.  Not bad, but I didn't walk out with anywhere near the same level of feelings I had for, say Wall-E, TS3, The Incredibles, or even the original Cars.  I suspect the critics' negative reaction is largely based on their high expectations for Pixar films being disappointed - I don't think it was the spy/sci-fi elements.

            About Lightning's original GF - I think she was still there.  Sally is listed as played by Bonnie Hunt in both movies.  She just has a sadly small role in the second one.  For George Carlin's character - maybe they felt if they retired him as well as Doc, they'd have to acknowledge it in the story and two deaths to be somber over would be too much downer?

            -Bryon

          • Mauro Diotallevi
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 15, 2011
              On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Jo Anne <evenstar@...> wrote:
              > Odd.  I didn't get the original post from Mauro -- I get the digest and it
              > didn't come through.  I did get one today, though, and am happy the list
              > isn't completely dead.

              Here here!

              > I was disappointed they didn't retire George Carlin's character as well as
              > Paul Newman's.

              That didn't even occur to me as I watched. I had forgotten that
              Carlin voiced Fillmore in the first one. At least they didn't try to
              replace him with another big star and instead went with a voice-over
              veteran.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 15, 2011
                On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Bryon Daly <lintman@...> wrote:

                > I thought Cars 2 was enjoyable, but a step down from Pixar's usual
                > greatness.  Mater's character arc was to shallow for me to have much feel
                > for him beyond the comedy relief, and Lightning's "accept your friends as
                > they are" subplot really felt forced.  Not bad, but I didn't walk out with
                > anywhere near the same level of feelings I had for, say Wall-E, TS3, The
                > Incredibles, or even the original Cars.  I suspect the critics' negative
                > reaction is largely based on their high expectations for Pixar films being
                > disappointed - I don't think it was the spy/sci-fi elements.

                The first Cars didn't do much for me. Neither did Wall-E, past the
                first 20 or 30 minutes. But I loved The Incredibles, TS3, and UP
                (squirrel!). I enjoyed the second one so much because I adore spy
                movies, and that might have been part of the reason I loved The
                Incredibles (well, that and the fact that it was just a truly great
                movie all the way around). My favorite Pixar movie remains
                Ratatouille, with The Incredibles as a very close second. But I'm a
                foodie, so Ratatouille makes sense for me from that perspective.

                I have a couple of friends who are film critics who liked Cars 2, but
                many of their critic friends did not, and my friends theorized it was
                because they hate "gadget films."