Re: New Encyclopedia

  • trent shipley
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011
      Hi Jo Anne. You don't need to be an administrator to edit the wiki,
      you just need to click on the "edit" tab. If a link appears in red,
      then you can create the page for it by clicking on the link. You can
      create a new page by searching for the page title. If the title
      doesn't exist, then you can click on the bold red text to create the
      page. Most of the formating can be done from the icons at the top of
      the editor.

      Right now anyone can edit the wiki without logging in, but you may
      need to answer a simple math problem to finish. When you are ready
      you can sign up for a user name and password. When you log on to edit
      the wiki keeps track of what changes are yours.

      Practice at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Sandbox
      See also in case you want to edit by hand
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Cheatsheet

      On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Jo Anne <evenstar@...> wrote:
      > Uh, Trent?  What do I use for an 'Admin address' and is the password the one
      > for brinl?  I tried my email and my brinl password, and I ***failed***.
      >
      > Please remember that just about everything I ever learnt about operating a
      > computer, I learned on this list or from it's members....
      >
      > Old and slow.
      >
      > Jo Anne
      > evenstar@...
      >

      >> Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 19:28:21 -0700
      >> From: trent shipley <trent.shipley@...>
      >> To: "Killer Bs (David Brin et al) Discussion" <brin-l@...>
      >> Subject: New Encyclopedia
      >>
      >> Some of you may recall that a few months ago there was a discussion
      >> about a David Brin trivia site.  I have rented space on a server and
      >> Nick has helped with technical issues.  You are welcome to work on a
      >> trivia project for David Brin's fiction at
      >> http://www.encyclopediaimaginaria.org
      >>
      >> I hope to get a logo for the site in a few weeks.

      >> End of Brin-l Digest, Vol 26, Issue 1
    • Keith Henson
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2011
        Hmm. I suppose I could put in a short bit about how "The Clinic Seed"
        came about.

        Another would be a long article about the influence of the early
        Extropian mailing list on such writers as Charles Stross.

        Does Imaginaria stretch far enough to encompass Tom Clancy type novels?

        Any objection to using the space to actually write short stories or
        novels? I.e., put up stuff you are not trying to sell and have no
        intention of selling where people could edit the work.

        Keith

      • trent shipley
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2011
          On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson@...> wrote:
          > Hmm.  I suppose I could put in a short bit about how "The Clinic Seed"
          > came about.
          >
          > Another would be a long article about the influence of the early
          > Extropian mailing list on such writers as Charles Stross.
          >
          > Does Imaginaria stretch far enough to encompass Tom Clancy type novels?

          I haven't read any Tom Clancy so I don't have a bias to share on this
          point. I think some of his novels may be science fiction enough to
          qualify while others require suspension of disbelief but don't really
          have the rupture with mundane reality that imaginaria requires.

          > Any objection to using the space to actually write short stories or
          > novels?  I.e., put up stuff you are not trying to sell and have no
          > intention of selling where people could edit the work.

          No fiction. The intellectual property lawyers hate fan fiction.
          Trivia good. Fiction bad.

          > Keith

        • Keith Henson
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 6, 2011
            On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 12:00 PM, trent shipley
            <trent.shipley@...> wrote:

            > On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson@...> wrote:

            >> Does Imaginaria stretch far enough to encompass Tom Clancy type novels?
            >
            > I haven't read any Tom Clancy so I don't have a bias to share on this
            > point.  I think some of his novels may be science fiction enough to
            > qualify while others require suspension of disbelief but don't really
            > have the rupture with mundane reality that imaginaria requires.

            Debt of Honor (1994) foretold 9/11. So as predictive SF it certainly
            made the cut.

            >> Any objection to using the space to actually write short stories or
            >> novels? ?I.e., put up stuff you are not trying to sell and have no
            >> intention of selling where people could edit the work.
            >
            > No fiction.  The intellectual property lawyers hate fan fiction.
            > Trivia good.  Fiction bad.

            It's your wiki, you set the rules about what you want there.

            However, I don't see any reason for IP lawyers to get involved in (non
            derivative) fiction put up under a CC type license. Perhaps you could
            explain?

            Keith

          • trent shipley
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2011
              On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson@...> wrote:
              > On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 12:00 PM,   trent shipley
              > <trent.shipley@...> wrote:
              >
              >> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson@...> wrote:
              >
              >>> Does Imaginaria stretch far enough to encompass Tom Clancy type novels?
              >>
              >> I haven't read any Tom Clancy so I don't have a bias to share on this
              >> point.  I think some of his novels may be science fiction enough to
              >> qualify while others require suspension of disbelief but don't really
              >> have the rupture with mundane reality that imaginaria requires.
              >
              > Debt of Honor (1994) foretold 9/11.  So as predictive SF it certainly
              > made the cut.
              >
              >>> Any objection to using the space to actually write short stories or
              >>> novels? ?I.e., put up stuff you are not trying to sell and have no
              >>> intention of selling where people could edit the work.
              >>
              >> No fiction.  The intellectual property lawyers hate fan fiction.
              >> Trivia good.  Fiction bad.
              >
              > It's your wiki, you set the rules about what you want there.
              >
              > However, I don't see any reason for IP lawyers to get involved in (non
              > derivative) fiction put up under a CC type license.  Perhaps you could
              > explain?
              >
              > Keith

              I want the wiki to be a place to document and critique imaginaria.
              Posting fiction removes the underlying theme of non-fiction writing
              about imaginaria. Including new fiction invites not just fictional
              narrative but world building. Including fiction creates the problem
              of proving the fiction is original. Perhaps most important including
              original fiction means that I have to spend even more time fighting
              fan fiction.