New Encyclopedia

  • trent shipley
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2011
      Some of you may recall that a few months ago there was a discussion
      about a David Brin trivia site. I have rented space on a server and
      Nick has helped with technical issues. You are welcome to work on a
      trivia project for David Brin's fiction at
      http://www.encyclopediaimaginaria.org

      I hope to get a logo for the site in a few weeks.

    • Jo Anne
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011
        Uh, Trent? What do I use for an 'Admin address' and is the password the one
        for brinl? I tried my email and my brinl password, and I ***failed***.

        Please remember that just about everything I ever learnt about operating a
        computer, I learned on this list or from it's members....

        Old and slow.

        Jo Anne
        evenstar@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011
          On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 3:16 PM, Jo Anne <evenstar@...> wrote:
          Uh, Trent?  What do I use for an 'Admin address' and is the password the one
          for brinl?  I tried my email and my brinl password, and I ***failed***.

          Please remember that just about everything I ever learnt about operating a
          computer, I learned on this list or from it's members....

          You shouldn't need to log in to contribute - it's a wiki, meaning that anybody can add, edit, etc.

          Nick
        • trent shipley
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2011
            Hi Jo Anne. You don't need to be an administrator to edit the wiki,
            you just need to click on the "edit" tab. If a link appears in red,
            then you can create the page for it by clicking on the link. You can
            create a new page by searching for the page title. If the title
            doesn't exist, then you can click on the bold red text to create the
            page. Most of the formating can be done from the icons at the top of
            the editor.

            Right now anyone can edit the wiki without logging in, but you may
            need to answer a simple math problem to finish. When you are ready
            you can sign up for a user name and password. When you log on to edit
            the wiki keeps track of what changes are yours.

            Practice at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Sandbox
            See also in case you want to edit by hand
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Cheatsheet

            On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Jo Anne <evenstar@...> wrote:
            > Uh, Trent?  What do I use for an 'Admin address' and is the password the one
            > for brinl?  I tried my email and my brinl password, and I ***failed***.
            >
            > Please remember that just about everything I ever learnt about operating a
            > computer, I learned on this list or from it's members....
            >
            > Old and slow.
            >
            > Jo Anne
            > evenstar@...
            >

            >> Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 19:28:21 -0700
            >> From: trent shipley <trent.shipley@...>
            >> To: "Killer Bs (David Brin et al) Discussion" <brin-l@...>
            >> Subject: New Encyclopedia
            >>
            >> Some of you may recall that a few months ago there was a discussion
            >> about a David Brin trivia site.  I have rented space on a server and
            >> Nick has helped with technical issues.  You are welcome to work on a
            >> trivia project for David Brin's fiction at
            >> http://www.encyclopediaimaginaria.org
            >>
            >> I hope to get a logo for the site in a few weeks.

            >> End of Brin-l Digest, Vol 26, Issue 1
          • Keith Henson
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2011
              Hmm. I suppose I could put in a short bit about how "The Clinic Seed"
              came about.

              Another would be a long article about the influence of the early
              Extropian mailing list on such writers as Charles Stross.

              Does Imaginaria stretch far enough to encompass Tom Clancy type novels?

              Any objection to using the space to actually write short stories or
              novels? I.e., put up stuff you are not trying to sell and have no
              intention of selling where people could edit the work.

              Keith

            • trent shipley
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4, 2011
                On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson@...> wrote:
                > Hmm.  I suppose I could put in a short bit about how "The Clinic Seed"
                > came about.
                >
                > Another would be a long article about the influence of the early
                > Extropian mailing list on such writers as Charles Stross.
                >
                > Does Imaginaria stretch far enough to encompass Tom Clancy type novels?

                I haven't read any Tom Clancy so I don't have a bias to share on this
                point. I think some of his novels may be science fiction enough to
                qualify while others require suspension of disbelief but don't really
                have the rupture with mundane reality that imaginaria requires.

                > Any objection to using the space to actually write short stories or
                > novels?  I.e., put up stuff you are not trying to sell and have no
                > intention of selling where people could edit the work.

                No fiction. The intellectual property lawyers hate fan fiction.
                Trivia good. Fiction bad.

                > Keith

              • Keith Henson
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 6, 2011
                  On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 12:00 PM, trent shipley
                  <trent.shipley@...> wrote:

                  > On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson@...> wrote:

                  >> Does Imaginaria stretch far enough to encompass Tom Clancy type novels?
                  >
                  > I haven't read any Tom Clancy so I don't have a bias to share on this
                  > point.  I think some of his novels may be science fiction enough to
                  > qualify while others require suspension of disbelief but don't really
                  > have the rupture with mundane reality that imaginaria requires.

                  Debt of Honor (1994) foretold 9/11. So as predictive SF it certainly
                  made the cut.

                  >> Any objection to using the space to actually write short stories or
                  >> novels? ?I.e., put up stuff you are not trying to sell and have no
                  >> intention of selling where people could edit the work.
                  >
                  > No fiction.  The intellectual property lawyers hate fan fiction.
                  > Trivia good.  Fiction bad.

                  It's your wiki, you set the rules about what you want there.

                  However, I don't see any reason for IP lawyers to get involved in (non
                  derivative) fiction put up under a CC type license. Perhaps you could
                  explain?

                  Keith

                • trent shipley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 6, 2011
                    On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson@...> wrote:
                    > On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 12:00 PM,   trent shipley
                    > <trent.shipley@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >>> Does Imaginaria stretch far enough to encompass Tom Clancy type novels?
                    >>
                    >> I haven't read any Tom Clancy so I don't have a bias to share on this
                    >> point.  I think some of his novels may be science fiction enough to
                    >> qualify while others require suspension of disbelief but don't really
                    >> have the rupture with mundane reality that imaginaria requires.
                    >
                    > Debt of Honor (1994) foretold 9/11.  So as predictive SF it certainly
                    > made the cut.
                    >
                    >>> Any objection to using the space to actually write short stories or
                    >>> novels? ?I.e., put up stuff you are not trying to sell and have no
                    >>> intention of selling where people could edit the work.
                    >>
                    >> No fiction.  The intellectual property lawyers hate fan fiction.
                    >> Trivia good.  Fiction bad.
                    >
                    > It's your wiki, you set the rules about what you want there.
                    >
                    > However, I don't see any reason for IP lawyers to get involved in (non
                    > derivative) fiction put up under a CC type license.  Perhaps you could
                    > explain?
                    >
                    > Keith

                    I want the wiki to be a place to document and critique imaginaria.
                    Posting fiction removes the underlying theme of non-fiction writing
                    about imaginaria. Including new fiction invites not just fictional
                    narrative but world building. Including fiction creates the problem
                    of proving the fiction is original. Perhaps most important including
                    original fiction means that I have to spend even more time fighting
                    fan fiction.