Re: Brin: Real inventions since 1970

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2011
      At 04:48 PM Monday 1/31/2011, KZK wrote:
      >Steve Roth asks an interesting question about
      >the number and type of real inventions since the
      >seventies (that aren't just improvements of existing inventions):
      >
      >http://www.asymptosis.com/name-one-really-big-invention-since-1970-besides-the-internet.html
      >
      >Optical media? (CD, LaserDisc, DVD, Blu)
      >Hard Drives?

      Hard drives — in the sense of a rigid substrate
      coated with a magnetic substance — certainly existed in 1970.

      This is a type I used in those days:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-VINTAGE-DISK-PLATTER-2135-2-THESE-/320621059587

      on an IBM 1130:

      http://www.ibm1130.net/functional/DiskStorage.html

      with a platter about a foot across (about the
      size of a LP record album from the day) inside
      the pictured enclosure (which some compared to a
      pizza carrier) that had a capacity (as measured
      today) of about 1 megabyte. (And the price this
      guy wants for these two is just about the same
      numerical price they sold for in the early 70s!)

      Put a few of them together on a spindle and you got a disk pack:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_IBM_disk_storage

      . . . ronn! :)

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1 3:40 PM
        Mel Brooks had the answer for the 1960s, if you remember your 2000 Year Old Man.

        Vilyehm