Re: Facebook censorship and internet porn

  • Bruce Bostwick
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
      On Dec 11, 2010, at 8:56 PM, Bruce Bostwick wrote:

      > This was made abundantly clear by the somewhat paradoxical
      > maneuvering surrounding the proposed .xxx TLD for porn domains. The
      > idea of a porn-specific TLD made perfect sense, as it would have
      > provided a place where interested adults could easily have gone
      > looking for whatever they wanted, and would have made the process of
      > blocking porn from underage computer users (or any others whom
      > society feels the need to protect from porn) relatively trivial and
      > straightforward.

      And -- accepts karma hit for responding to own post, but bear with me
      -- the devil's advocate position on the .xxx TLD case:

      The "any others whom society feels the need to protect from porn" is a
      *huge* loophole, and given some aspects of the current political
      climate, it's not entirely unreasonable to imagine a possible future
      society where that one clause amounts to everyone that certain
      religious sects have under their power at any given time, or in the
      worst case, everyone, period. Putting all the porn domains in one
      easily-filtered place could in some circumstances be a prelude to
      relatively simple total censorship of the entire industry.

      So there are extremes at both end of the spectrum, and the resistance
      to implementation of an .xxx TLD, specifically, is probably reasonable
      too, from at least some perspectives .. especially if it comes with
      the stipulation that all "porn", as legally defined, must only exist
      in domains within that TLD. And that simply because free speech only
      allowed in "free speech zones" is not truly free in any real sense,
      particularly if the "free speech zones" are then conveniently located
      where they can have no possible actual impact.

      There's a happy medium in there somewhere, and ultimately, it's futile
      to try to apply technical measures to problems that are more social
      than technical in nature. Law has never succeeded in addressing
      morality, or even ethics for that matter, and it's going to continue
      to fail. So I have no solution to the problem of bad actors making
      life miserable every way they can. As I said, it's a formidable
      philosophical problem ..

      "Listen, when you get home tonight, you're gonna be confronted by the
      instinct to drink a lot. Trust that instinct. Manage the pain. Don't
      try to be a hero." -- Toby Ziegler

    • Deborah Harrell
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2010
        > Bruce Bostwick wrote:
        >> Charlie wrote:
        > > Jon wrote:

        >> ...that may prevent a woman from learning how to examine herself for
        >> cancer or her options if she is diagnosed...
        >> ...policy of removing pictures of breastfeeding.

        I glanced at the La Leche League site (an org. that promotes breastfeeding) - no easily accessible pix; perhaps one needs to join? Interesting article on age-of-weaning, which here in the US is typically less than one year, but in developing countries can be 3 or 4 yo. Huh! - I'd draw the line at teething!

        > > evidently there are a lot of riled up women about
        > > this.  evidently, some few were using breastfeeding
        > > as a way around the facebook restriction on frontal nudity.
        [on facebook]

        <roll eyes> Some people just can't deal with bodily functions in a non-kindergartener way, tittering instead of just acknowledging. Not that there isn't genuine humor to be found in many cases (I've _so_ had to adjust to living with a guy)...

        <snippage>

        > The problem, and this seems to be endemic to the industry [porn]
        > as far as I can tell, is that the industry would very much
        > rather do business the way it does now and take every
        > possible tactical and/or strategic action available to make
        > sure they're not only net-ubiquitous, but that they actually
        > crowd out legitimate web search results for completely
        > unrelated subjects, and appear in your inbox even if your
        > junk mail filtering is strong enough that you end up
        > filtering out your friends before you filter out the porn
        > ads.  Rather than target a perfectly willing and
        > sex-positive demographic that would be happy to pay for
        > their premium content, they would rather make the maximum
        > possible nuisance of themselves trying to convert maybe one
        > in a thousand or so of the largely sex-negative remainder of
        > the population that doesn't want to see anything they have to offer.

        Indeed.

        > As for free speech, deciding what's abuse of it and what's
        > legitimate use of it is a formitable philsophical problem
        > indeed.  Likewise, which restrictions on it are
        > legitimate and which are overbroad and possibly
        > draconian.  There's room for considerable debate along
        > that boundary...

        I personally find porn repugnant, but as long as only consenting adults are involved, I can't advocate banning it. <thread crossover> As in the wikileaks dump - I don't want anyone endangered, but there's far too much being covered up by various govt's.

        > And I repeat my assertion that our society (particularly
        > that of the USA, and even more particularly that of some
        > regions of the USA and/or specific segments of the
        > population) is not exactly objective or even rational on
        > this subject, and is influenced by social and cultural
        > standards that I consider dysfunctional and destructive at
        > the very least.  Not the least of which is the
        > perception that nudity == sex, or the related perception
        > that sex == bad/dirty/evil.  Or a whole list of
        > others...

        We do seem to be schizoid and schizophrenic as a society WRT sexuality.

        > The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace
        > alarmed and hence clamorous to be led to safety by menacing
        > it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them
        > imaginary. - H.L. MENCKEN

        Good one!

        'It's hard to fight the fire while you're feeding the flames' - Rush

        Debbi
        Condoms For The Mind? Maru
        Debbi

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 13, 2010
          Deborah Harrell wrote:

          > Debbi
          > Condoms For The Mind? Maru
          > Debbi

          I can't imagine how many girls become pregnant or get a STD
          because movies that would show how to apply a condom to a
          penis _are_ dumped as pornography.

        • Julia
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 26, 2010
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 26, 2010
              On Dec 26, 2010, at 5:03 PM, Julia wrote:

> [...]
              > wanted, and would have made the process of blocking porn from underage
              > computer users (or any others whom society feels the need to protect
              > from
              > porn) relatively trivial and straightforward.
              >
              > * * * * * * * * * *
              >
              > Really?
              >
              > When I was first aware of an attempt to create the top-level
              > domain .xxx,
              > the porn industry was on board at the time, it was a bunch of
              > religious
              > leaders that were so vocal that it was blocked it then. At least,
              > this was
              > what I heard from someone who was in close communication with folks
              > members
              > of the ICANN board.... Said individual expressed disbelief and
              > couldn't
              > figure out why the *hell* any religious folks would get involved in

              The porn industry was originally in favor of it, I believe, until
              there was discussion of the fact that porn sites would not be
              statutorily required to be in the .xxx TLD (and in fact might start a
              land-rush to register both in and out of .xxx and possibly crowd out
              more cooperative actors in the market who were trying to register new
              sites/domains in .xxx) , and then discussion of the possibility of
              *creating* such a statutory requirement (which was the gist of my
              devil's-advocate followup) was what spooked the industry, as I
              understand it.

              The religious groups seemed to object on the grounds that creating a
              TLD would somehow legitimize and/or admit the existence of pornography
              itself, which (disturbingly) was also the position of the US Commerce
              Dept:

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.xxx (this also jibes somewhat with my
              own memory of all this)

              Somewhere along the line (again, both from the article and my own
              recollection), ICANN made a statement to the effect that they don't
              regulate content of sites they provide registrations for, so
              discussion became somewhat moot at that point.

              I think I'm going to back away from my earlier statement that it would
              be an excellent idea. In retrospect, it would be an excellent idea on
              paper and implemented entirely by cooperative actors (like the ones
              who could be trusted not to use open SMTP relays to send mass
              quantities of unsolicited commercial email). In the real world, with
              a significant minority of cynical and pragmatic, if not outright
              dishonest, actors, within a dysfunctionally skewed framework of social
              perceptions and rules, I'm thinking it's not a good idea at all, just
              because there's no way to get to a fair implementation of it from
              here. The problem is a lot deeper than domain registration.