RE: Is anybody home?

  • Julia
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
      The list did NOT drop you.

      I'm home, but will need to leave in less than 90 minutes to pick up a friend
      at the dentist. Then I get to friend-sit for the rest of today. Whee! (I
      get to read and watch as many episodes of "The Shield" as we both feel like
      watching.)

      Julia

      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
        On 05/10/2010, at 11:43 PM, Julia wrote:

        > The list did NOT drop you.

        Not from enough altitude to hurt, anyway...

        > I'm home, but will need to leave in less than 90 minutes to pick up a friend
        > at the dentist.

        That's an odd place to pick up... Bars and art galleries more traditional, no? ;-)

        So how is everyone? I've just had an odd week of ups and downs - Sunday I got to ride 3 laps of the UCI world championship course on fully closed roads, which was fun. (And bloody steep - 22% hurts) But last night came down with migraine, so been hiding in a dark quiet place. Only just getting over it and still fuzzy. Bleugh.

        C.
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
          From: Medievalbk@...

          > it IS a year with political elections.

          Here (Brazil) too. As usual, the weirdest candidate
          was the biggest winner - Tiririca, an illeterate TV clown
          that nobody remebered for the past 15 years. Now he must
          prove that he can read and write, or his votes will be
          nullified.

          Are you getting too much political spam?

        • Wayne Eddy
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
            On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Jim Sharkey <templar569@...> wrote:
            Dan wrote:
            >I think most email lists are dropping themselves.  The modern thing to write
            >is less than 144 charact

            I have a twitter account, but I basically don't use it because of the 144 character limit.  I do use Google Buzz a bit, which I find to be a much better alternative if you want to use real sentences.  As an added bonus, David posts there regularly.

            Regards,

            Wayne.
          • John Garcia
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
              On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Charlie Bell <charlie@...> wrote:

              On 05/10/2010, at 11:43 PM, Julia wrote:

              > The list did NOT drop you.

              Not from enough altitude to hurt, anyway...

              > I'm home, but will need to leave in less than 90 minutes to pick up a friend
              > at the dentist.

              That's an odd place to pick up... Bars and art galleries more traditional, no? ;-)

              So how is everyone? I've just had an odd week of ups and downs - Sunday I got to ride 3 laps of the UCI world championship course on fully closed roads, which was fun. (And bloody steep - 22% hurts) But last night came down with migraine, so been hiding in a dark quiet place. Only just getting over it and still fuzzy. Bleugh.

              C.

              I'm good, how are you? Sorry to hear about your migraine. How is everything and everyone Down Under?

              john
            • Kanandarqu@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010

                Finishing up a 3 year stint as profess association president (if Zim is still doing this, he has a heart of gold)
                Healthcare changes, legislatures without money threatening cuts even to folks with catastrophic injuries such as brain injuries/strokes, and a bit of embezzlement..... feed my brain with science...

                Counting down, just a few weeks til I get a bit more breathing room and hope to get a new list of good books to read.  Start me a list please.  Got 2 of the newer Bears to read, but need about a few good sundiver/uplift type things... might just have to reread them.

                Dee

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
                  Hello old friends, I'm still hangin'

                  Anybody reading a good book?

                  I'm struggling through Hamilton's book Pandora's Star and hoping that
                  Bank's new one will be in Kindle form soon.

                  Maybe I'll re-read Anathem....

                  Doug

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
                    On 06/10/2010, at 10:51 AM, John Garcia wrote:

                    > I'm good, how are you? Sorry to hear about your migraine. How is everything and everyone Down Under?

                    Can't speak for *everyone*, but everyone that matters is fine, including Max The Giant Cat who is trying to persuade me it's dinner time even though I can read a clock and have pointed this out to him. Migraine mostly gone. Left for work this morning on the road bike as it was glorious glorious sunshine. I really should be used to the "four seasons in a day" bit by now, but no. It's torrential out there now and I had to tip-toe home on my 23mm racing tyres... made it without serious incident (just dickheads pulling u-turns across tramtracks or parking in peak-hour bike lanes...).

                    Off to South Australia for a mate's wedding next week.

                    Charlie.
                  • Pat Mathews
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 6, 2010
                      I just downloaded Sword of the Lady and High King of Montival so I could have the entire Emberverse series at my fingertips.

                      Also the Saga of the Volsungs, but beware of downloading anything with footnotes. Someone should do this as a miniseries, instead.

                      Hmmm... a miniseries with a thundering great soundtrack. Nine one-hour episodes, allow for commercials, that's an entire season. Start with the treasure in the Rhine .. we could call it The Rhine Gold....

                      http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/

                      > Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 21:07:44 -0800
                      > Subject: Re: Is anybody home?
                      > From: brighto@...
                      > To: brin-l@...
                      >
                      > Hello old friends, I'm still hangin'
                      >
                      > Anybody reading a good book?
                      >
                      > I'm struggling through Hamilton's book Pandora's Star and hoping that
                      > Bank's new one will be in Kindle form soon.
                      >
                      > Maybe I'll re-read Anathem....
                      >
                      > Doug
                      >
                      > On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:16 PM, <Kanandarqu@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Finishing up a 3 year stint as profess association president (if Zim is
                      > > still doing this, he has a heart of gold)
                      > > Healthcare changes, legislatures without money threatening cuts even to
                      > > folks with catastrophic injuries such as brain injuries/strokes, and a bit
                      > > of embezzlement..... feed my brain with science...
                      > >
                      > > Counting down, just a few weeks til I get a bit more breathing room and hope
                      > > to get a new list of good books to read.  Start me a list please.  Got 2 of
                      > > the newer Bears to read, but need about a few good sundiver/uplift type
                      > > things... might just have to reread them.
                      > >
                      > > Dee
                      > >

                      > > In a message dated 10/5/2010 8:55:06 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      > > charlie@... writes:
                      > >
                      > > On 05/10/2010, at 11:43 PM, Julia wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> The list did NOT drop you.
                      > >
                      > > Not from enough altitude to hurt, anyway...
                      > >>
                      > >> I'm home, but will need to leave in less than 90 minutes to pick up a
                      > >> friend
                      > >> at the dentist.
                      > >
                      > > That's an odd place to pick up... Bars and art galleries more traditional,
                      > > no? ;-)
                      > >
                      > > So how is everyone? I've just had an odd week of ups and downs - Sunday I
                      > > got to ride 3 laps of the UCI world championship course on fully closed
                      > > roads, which was fun. (And bloody steep - 22% hurts) But last night came
                      > > down with migraine, so been hiding in a dark quiet place. Only just getting
                      > > over it and still fuzzy. Bleugh.
                      > >
                      > > C.

                    • Damon Agretto
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 6, 2010
                        I just finished up Haldeman's Marsbound and Starbound several weeks ago. I started reading Benford's The Martian Race, but set is aside for some pulpy gaming supplements (Battletech's Masters & Minions if anyone wants to know...)

                        Damon.

                      • Damon Agretto
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 6, 2010
                          Incidentially, if anyone wants to read up about my thoughts on some of the books I've read in the past few years (mainly because I'm bored at work), check out my blog at bookslikedust.blogspot.com.

                          Damon.

                          On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Damon Agretto <damon.agretto@...> wrote:
                          I just finished up Haldeman's Marsbound and Starbound several weeks ago. I started reading Benford's The Martian Race, but set is aside for some pulpy gaming supplements (Battletech's Masters & Minions if anyone wants to know...)

                          Damon.

                        • Jim Sharkey
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 6, 2010
                            >Dee wrote

                            >Counting down, just a few weeks til I get a bit more breathing room and hope to get a new list of good books to read. Start me a list please.

                            If you're looking for something that's got a little bite without being terribly taxing, I rather enjoyed _The Hunger Game_ just recently. It's more YA than adult SF, but it's a nice, quick read that's actually got a point to go with it.

                            Jim