Is anybody home?

  • Trent Shipley
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 4, 2010
      Maybe the list dropped me again.

      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 4, 2010
        >chains rattling<

        >Rusty creaking door<

        >Deep Romanian accent<

        "You ranng?"

        In a message dated 10/4/2010 8:01:49 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time, tshipley@... writes:
        Maybe the list dropped me again.

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 4, 2010
          Trent wrote:
          >Maybe the list dropped me again.

          I think most email lists are dropping themselves. The modern thing to write
          is less than 144 charact

          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 4, 2010
            That's character assassination.

            Oh, wait.....

            it IS a year with political elections.

            Never mind.

            In a message dated 10/4/2010 8:39:19 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time, danminette@... writes:
            Trent wrote:
            >Maybe the list dropped me again.

            I think most email lists are dropping themselves.  The modern thing to write
            is less than 144 charact

          • Jim Sharkey
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
              Dan wrote:
              >I think most email lists are dropping themselves. The modern thing to write
              >is less than 144 charact

              That's one of the reasons I still have my LJ. There are certain thoughts and ideas that A) need more than a brief, pithy comment to properly express and B) don't really want the world at large to read anyway.

              It isn't that I mind tweeting, etc., per se; I indulge in it myself now and again. It isn't even that I mind the "Short Attention Span Theater" aspect of it - someone raised on cartoons and mac and cheese has no room to talk. :-) But when folks start taking the attitude that anything longer than a sentence is "tl;dr" territory, it's mildly frightening, I think.

              Jim

            • Julia
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
                The list did NOT drop you.

                I'm home, but will need to leave in less than 90 minutes to pick up a friend
                at the dentist. Then I get to friend-sit for the rest of today. Whee! (I
                get to read and watch as many episodes of "The Shield" as we both feel like
                watching.)

                Julia

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
                  On 05/10/2010, at 11:43 PM, Julia wrote:

                  > The list did NOT drop you.

                  Not from enough altitude to hurt, anyway...

                  > I'm home, but will need to leave in less than 90 minutes to pick up a friend
                  > at the dentist.

                  That's an odd place to pick up... Bars and art galleries more traditional, no? ;-)

                  So how is everyone? I've just had an odd week of ups and downs - Sunday I got to ride 3 laps of the UCI world championship course on fully closed roads, which was fun. (And bloody steep - 22% hurts) But last night came down with migraine, so been hiding in a dark quiet place. Only just getting over it and still fuzzy. Bleugh.

                  C.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
                    From: Medievalbk@...

                    > it IS a year with political elections.

                    Here (Brazil) too. As usual, the weirdest candidate
                    was the biggest winner - Tiririca, an illeterate TV clown
                    that nobody remebered for the past 15 years. Now he must
                    prove that he can read and write, or his votes will be
                    nullified.

                    Are you getting too much political spam?

                  • Wayne Eddy
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
                      On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:37 PM, Jim Sharkey <templar569@...> wrote:
                      Dan wrote:
                      >I think most email lists are dropping themselves.  The modern thing to write
                      >is less than 144 charact

                      I have a twitter account, but I basically don't use it because of the 144 character limit.  I do use Google Buzz a bit, which I find to be a much better alternative if you want to use real sentences.  As an added bonus, David posts there regularly.

                      Regards,

                      Wayne.
                    • John Garcia
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
                        On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Charlie Bell <charlie@...> wrote:

                        On 05/10/2010, at 11:43 PM, Julia wrote:

                        > The list did NOT drop you.

                        Not from enough altitude to hurt, anyway...

                        > I'm home, but will need to leave in less than 90 minutes to pick up a friend
                        > at the dentist.

                        That's an odd place to pick up... Bars and art galleries more traditional, no? ;-)

                        So how is everyone? I've just had an odd week of ups and downs - Sunday I got to ride 3 laps of the UCI world championship course on fully closed roads, which was fun. (And bloody steep - 22% hurts) But last night came down with migraine, so been hiding in a dark quiet place. Only just getting over it and still fuzzy. Bleugh.

                        C.

                        I'm good, how are you? Sorry to hear about your migraine. How is everything and everyone Down Under?

                        john
                      • Kanandarqu@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010

                          Finishing up a 3 year stint as profess association president (if Zim is still doing this, he has a heart of gold)
                          Healthcare changes, legislatures without money threatening cuts even to folks with catastrophic injuries such as brain injuries/strokes, and a bit of embezzlement..... feed my brain with science...

                          Counting down, just a few weeks til I get a bit more breathing room and hope to get a new list of good books to read.  Start me a list please.  Got 2 of the newer Bears to read, but need about a few good sundiver/uplift type things... might just have to reread them.

                          Dee

                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
                            Hello old friends, I'm still hangin'

                            Anybody reading a good book?

                            I'm struggling through Hamilton's book Pandora's Star and hoping that
                            Bank's new one will be in Kindle form soon.

                            Maybe I'll re-read Anathem....

                            Doug

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 5, 2010
                              On 06/10/2010, at 10:51 AM, John Garcia wrote:

                              > I'm good, how are you? Sorry to hear about your migraine. How is everything and everyone Down Under?

                              Can't speak for *everyone*, but everyone that matters is fine, including Max The Giant Cat who is trying to persuade me it's dinner time even though I can read a clock and have pointed this out to him. Migraine mostly gone. Left for work this morning on the road bike as it was glorious glorious sunshine. I really should be used to the "four seasons in a day" bit by now, but no. It's torrential out there now and I had to tip-toe home on my 23mm racing tyres... made it without serious incident (just dickheads pulling u-turns across tramtracks or parking in peak-hour bike lanes...).

                              Off to South Australia for a mate's wedding next week.

                              Charlie.
                            • Pat Mathews
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 6, 2010
                                I just downloaded Sword of the Lady and High King of Montival so I could have the entire Emberverse series at my fingertips.

                                Also the Saga of the Volsungs, but beware of downloading anything with footnotes. Someone should do this as a miniseries, instead.

                                Hmmm... a miniseries with a thundering great soundtrack. Nine one-hour episodes, allow for commercials, that's an entire season. Start with the treasure in the Rhine .. we could call it The Rhine Gold....

                                http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/

                                > Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 21:07:44 -0800
                                > Subject: Re: Is anybody home?
                                > From: brighto@...
                                > To: brin-l@...
                                >
                                > Hello old friends, I'm still hangin'
                                >
                                > Anybody reading a good book?
                                >
                                > I'm struggling through Hamilton's book Pandora's Star and hoping that
                                > Bank's new one will be in Kindle form soon.
                                >
                                > Maybe I'll re-read Anathem....
                                >
                                > Doug
                                >
                                > On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:16 PM, <Kanandarqu@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Finishing up a 3 year stint as profess association president (if Zim is
                                > > still doing this, he has a heart of gold)
                                > > Healthcare changes, legislatures without money threatening cuts even to
                                > > folks with catastrophic injuries such as brain injuries/strokes, and a bit
                                > > of embezzlement..... feed my brain with science...
                                > >
                                > > Counting down, just a few weeks til I get a bit more breathing room and hope
                                > > to get a new list of good books to read.  Start me a list please.  Got 2 of
                                > > the newer Bears to read, but need about a few good sundiver/uplift type
                                > > things... might just have to reread them.
                                > >
                                > > Dee
                                > >

                                > > In a message dated 10/5/2010 8:55:06 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                > > charlie@... writes:
                                > >
                                > > On 05/10/2010, at 11:43 PM, Julia wrote:
                                > >
                                > >> The list did NOT drop you.
                                > >
                                > > Not from enough altitude to hurt, anyway...
                                > >>
                                > >> I'm home, but will need to leave in less than 90 minutes to pick up a
                                > >> friend
                                > >> at the dentist.
                                > >
                                > > That's an odd place to pick up... Bars and art galleries more traditional,
                                > > no? ;-)
                                > >
                                > > So how is everyone? I've just had an odd week of ups and downs - Sunday I
                                > > got to ride 3 laps of the UCI world championship course on fully closed
                                > > roads, which was fun. (And bloody steep - 22% hurts) But last night came
                                > > down with migraine, so been hiding in a dark quiet place. Only just getting
                                > > over it and still fuzzy. Bleugh.
                                > >
                                > > C.

                              • Damon Agretto
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 6, 2010
                                  I just finished up Haldeman's Marsbound and Starbound several weeks ago. I started reading Benford's The Martian Race, but set is aside for some pulpy gaming supplements (Battletech's Masters & Minions if anyone wants to know...)

                                  Damon.

                                • Damon Agretto
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 6, 2010
                                    Incidentially, if anyone wants to read up about my thoughts on some of the books I've read in the past few years (mainly because I'm bored at work), check out my blog at bookslikedust.blogspot.com.

                                    Damon.

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 6, 2010
                                      >Dee wrote

                                      >Counting down, just a few weeks til I get a bit more breathing room and hope to get a new list of good books to read. Start me a list please.

                                      If you're looking for something that's got a little bite without being terribly taxing, I rather enjoyed _The Hunger Game_ just recently. It's more YA than adult SF, but it's a nice, quick read that's actually got a point to go with it.

                                      Jim