Re: Brin: The Digital Surveillance State: Vast, Secret, and Dangerous

  • David Brin
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 23, 2010
      You got me.  I skimmed.  the modern sin.  If you had any idea how many people I must respond to.

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 23, 2010
        On Aug 23, 2010, at 2:24 AM, KZK wrote:

        >> On Aug 21, 2010, at 21:51, David Brin<dbrin@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> Whine, moan bitch complain without any sensible suggestions...
        >>> yep, that's the Cato way.
        >>>
        >>> Above all, aim all suspicion-of-authority at some vague
        >>> "government" and ignore all other forces.

        I have to admit, one reason I voted for Obama (and I did vote for him,
        both in the primaries and in the general election) was my belief that
        at the very least, he would partially if not completely dismantle the
        invasive "security" apparatus that Bush/Cheney were so eager to put
        into place the day after 9/11/01, and if nothing else, call for the
        repeal of at least portions of the USA PATRIOT Act and the illegal (by
        the actual FISA statute, if I remember correctly) "warrantless
        wiretapping" practices used by the domestic security/intel agencies
        and restore some accountability to government surveillance of citizens.

        The fact that he did nothing of the sort, and in fact took steps to
        further entrench that policy of surveillance and extrajudicial "anti-
        terrorism" measures that ultimately completely bypass due process, by
        itself makes me regret ever supporting him. It's a largely
        inexplicable discrepancy between the policy promises he campaigned on
        and the actual policies he put in place once in office.

        As far as I know, Cheney's shadow Situation Room, PEOC, and secure
        communications facilities are still in place at One Observatory
        Circle, as I've heard no mention anywhere of those being
        decommissioned or removed. Granted, Joe Biden doesn't seem to be the
        type of VP who would take advantage of having those facilities there,
        but that hinges on a gut-level read of the man that may be wildly if
        not totally inaccurate.

        We still only have simple good-faith assertions by the various three
        letter agencies involved that they will not use the largely
        unaccountable surveillance powers they have for reprisals against
        citizens' criticism of the apparatus itself or of Congress' or
        presidential administrations' use or misuse of it. So far I haven't
        seen any evidence of its misuse, but a great deal of such misuse could
        be going out without any news of it ever surfacing, the way it's
        structured from what's been disclosed. And given that we're talking
        about a system that can data-mine the entire US telecommunications
        infrastructure in real time, under software control, on fairly
        abstract semantic levels, the potential for virtually untraceable
        abuse is significant indeed. Which is what disappoints and concerns
        me about what *hasn't* happened to correct this during this
        administration.

        (And the irony is that the same neoconservatives who couldn't be
        enthusiastic enough about the expansion of government power after
        9/11, while Bush II was in office, are suddenly completely against it
        now that Obama is in office. Seems they forgot the rule that you
        should never give a government powers you wouldn't want your worst
        nightmare of a government to have..)

        "Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual
        ignorance." -- H. L. Mencken