Brin: Beds, FM Radiation, and Left-Sided Cancer

  • KZK
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4 5:49 AM
    • David Brin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4 2:11 PM
        Thanks KZK and happy July 4th to all!

        Oh, drop by http://www.davidbrin.com  to see a number of my most recent podcast videos, some of which have gone quite viral!  Especially the "advice to students at college."

        Thrive all.

         With cordial regards,

        David Brin

        From: KZK <evil.kezik@...>
        To: brin-l@...
        Sent: Sun, July 4, 2010 5:49:05 AM
        Subject: Brin: Beds, FM Radiation, and Left-Sided Cancer

        http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=left-sided-cancer-blame-your-bed-an-2010-07-02

        Metal bed-frames as antenna's..

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4 4:24 PM
          At 07:49 AM Sunday 7/4/2010, KZK wrote:
          >http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=left-sided-cancer-blame-your-bed-an-2010-07-02

          "Exposure to the sun elevates the risk of melanoma, but the sun's
          intensity has not changed in the last three decades."

          Not what marketers of sunscreen and those who screamed for much of
          that period about O3 depletion would have you believe.

          "The futons used for sleeping in Japan are mattresses placed directly
          on the bedroom floor, in contrast to the elevated box springs and
          mattress of beds used in the West."

          So where do they keep their junk?

          "The first line of evidence they cite comes from a 2007 study in
          Sweden conducted between 1989 and 1993 that revealed a strong link
          between the incidence of melanoma and the number of FM and TV
          transmission towers covering the area where the individuals lived.
          Despite epidemiological correlations like this one suggesting the
          possibility that electromagnetic radiation from FM and TV broadcasts
          stations could suppress the immune system and promote cancer, the
          strength of these electromagnetic fields is so feeble it has been
          difficult to imagine any biological basis for the correlation."

          So if true perhaps the rate in the U.S. should show a drop starting a year ago?

          (And perhaps the tax on tanning beds that started the first of the
          month should have been on regular beds, instead?)

          . . . ronn! :)

        • KZK
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5 8:19 AM
            At 07:49 AM Sunday 7/4/2010, KZK wrote:

            >http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=left-sided-cancer-blame-your-bed-an-2010-07-02

            > >"The first line of evidence they cite comes from a 2007 study in
            Sweden conducted between 1989 and 1993 that revealed a strong link
            between the incidence of melanoma and the number of FM and TV
            transmission towers covering the area where the individuals lived.
            Despite epidemiological correlations like this one suggesting the
            possibility that electromagnetic radiation from FM and TV broadcasts
            stations could suppress the immune system and promote cancer, the
            strength of these electromagnetic fields is so feeble it has been
            difficult to imagine any biological basis for the correlation."

            >So if true perhaps the rate in the U.S. should show a drop starting a
            year ago?

            I think the spectrum has been or will be reauctioned off, for use by
            other companies for stuff like wi-fi or 4G cell-phone whatnot. So
            probably for a while at least until it's new owners ramp up it's new
            usage to whatever.