i-Pad

  • Jon Louis Mann
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
      > Jon Louis Mann <net_democracy@... wrote:
      > i have been hearing that apple is coming out with a
      > netbook, and was waiting before replacing my iBook G4.
      > i like the idea of downloading books for my next bike
      > tour of new zealand.  it will be a lot lighter than
      > when i toured the north island two decades ago...

      > > Hey Jon,
      > > My iBook G4 survived my cycle trip around Australia
      > (10 months on the road, if you haven't heard the tale
      > before). I
      > > think the iPad might be good for bike touring, but
      > I think a
      > > netbook would be more flexible and easier to type
      > on if you're updating a blog or emailing home.
      > > About to be late for leaving for work, but I'll
      > put out the
      > > call and as if any of my buddies in the cycling
      > groups I'm in have done New Zealand by human-power
      > recently so as to
      > > pass on any major routes to avoid by bike, and
      > preferred ways around!
      > > Charlie

      > > It's not a netbook. It's a web appliance,
      > basically an enlarged iPod
      > > Touch. Different type of device, and not I
      > believe what you're looking for.
      > > Andrew C

      > > No, the iPad isn't a netbook. But there have still
      > been rumours that Apple is coming out with a netbook.
      > > Charlie.

      Thanks, Charlie and Andrew. I understand the iPad is a tablet and not a net book, although it is a lot lighter than my iBook, and it will allow me to go on the internet a lot longer, as well as read books. I can't do that with a Kindle or the new Barnes and Noble nook.
      I don't think I will be able to leave on my bike tour of the South Island in time for this summer, so something better will come along..I still haven't decided what kind of road bike to get.
      Jon

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2010
        On 02/02/2010, at 5:42 PM, Jon Louis Mann wrote:

        > Thanks, Charlie and Andrew. I understand the iPad is a tablet and not a net book, although it is a lot lighter than my iBook, and it will allow me to go on the internet a lot longer, as well as read books. I can't do that with a Kindle or the new Barnes and Noble nook.
        > I don't think I will be able to leave on my bike tour of the South Island in time for this summer, so something better will come along..I still haven't decided what kind of road bike to get.

        If you're going on an upright (rather than braving the recumbent world) then as you're in North America: no question, get a Surly frame, probably the Long Haul Trucker frame. Beautiful traditional steel frame, and they're really popular Down Under so if something does go awry with it you'll be able to get it sorted. What you do from there is up to you - flat bar or drops, what sort of wheels, pannier rack or Xtracycle, battery lights or a dynamo hub (and dynamo can charge phone etc in the day, or you can get a little solar charger).

        But Surly are the way to go for touring if you're not in the UK (and if you are, Roberts Cycles in south London - I wish I'd been able to get one while I was there...).

        Feel free to gab about bike touring with me... :-D

        Charlie.