Re: Google Wave

  • Max Battcher
    Message 1 of 54 , Oct 15, 2009
      Bruce Bostwick wrote:
      > I haven't chimed in on Wave or the more general subject of cloud
      > computing yet, since I haven't used it yet (which, in some people's
      > judgment, makes me ineligible to comment, although I consider that a
      > questionable argument), but my misgivings about it are generally related
      > to the same question of how valid the underlying assumptions are, as
      > well as the overall reliability of the servers the storage lives on.

      In terms of specific to Google Wave: for now early adopters should trust
      Google's storage policies (and considering the vast number of people
      with Gmail addresses, many do), with the addition of the Google
      way-early-beta caveat.

      In the mid to long term other servers should start to pick up Wave
      usage. The entire Java source to run your own Wave server is available
      for use and adaptation and servers talk to each other in similar ways to
      email servers (so Wave participant addresses right now are things like
      max.battcher@..., which look like email addresses but aren't
      guaranteed to be one and the same). (More accurately, the server to
      server protocols are based on the more recent XMPP IM standards rather
      than decades-old email, but the general idea is the same...)

      > (It seems to me that a lot of the hype around the cloud computing
      > concept is really thin on details of infrastructure, storage
      > reliability/redundancy and backup maintenance, privacy protection, and a
      > whole range of other unanswered questions I've had about it. And for
      > people who seem so eager to have me store my personal data on their
      > servers, a lot of those unanswered questions are show stoppers for me.)

      Well "cloud computing" has come to embody a lot of concepts, generally,
      and can be anything from marketing droid speak to a beloved panacea from
      the computing gods... To be honest the term in common parlance doesn't
      seem to have a very well-defined meaning anymore.

      Generally, individual "cloud computing" providers should be able to
      provide you with all of the details that you need, and your questions
      are "unanswered", you may not be asking the right people...

      All of the services that I use on a daily basis are very forthright with
      that sort of information and I would say that I have days where I am
      very paranoid.

      It's hard to argue anything at a general "cloud computing" level, and
      just like any other set of services you have to go into each
      relationship with some idea of your intent and the company/entity's
      trustworthiness. Perhaps if you named specific services or concerns your
      questions might be answered.

      --
      --Max Battcher--
      http://worldmaker.net

      Message 54 of 54 , Nov 16, 2009
        At 06:27 PM Friday 11/13/2009, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:
        >At 03:32 PM Friday 11/13/2009, Julia wrote:
        >

        >> > Julia
        >>

        >> >who declined to take part in what she perceived was the torturing of the
        >> >rattlesnakes from Taylor during the premiere weekend of "Snakes on a Plane"
        >> >at the Alamo Drafthouse (this was at the Village location), and did *not*
        >> >reach out to touch the one being brought up the aisle on her side (and I
        >> >think that one was only about 5' long)
        >>

        >>The Alamo Drafthouse is a church?
        >>

        >>. . . ronn! :)
        >>

        >>____________________
        >>
        >>Nope.
        >>
        >>http://www.drafthouse.com/
        >>
        >>Opening weekends of some things, they go all-out.
        >>
        >>Oh, and Harry Knowles' Butt-Numb-A-Thon is held at one.
        >>
        >>And, well, that's where I found out that cheese & grapes is *not* as good
        >>for my digestion as cheese & apples. (I'm inclined *not* to order the
        >>cheese & fruit plate after that one.)
        >>
        >>One of the featured menu items for about a month was "Snakes on a Plate".
        >>And I hear tell that rattler (which was the snake they were using) tastes
        >>like chicken. I declined to explore that.
        >>
        >> Julia
        >

        >When you said that they brought a rattlesnake "up the aisle" for
        >folks to touch I of course immediately thought of those
        >snake-handling churches, hence my wisecrack . . .

        And here's another one:

        Natural Selection free online comic strip library at comics.com -
        http://comics.com/natural_selection/2009-11-16/

        . . . ronn! :)