Re: Google Wave

  • Bruce Bostwick
    Message 1 of 54 , Oct 15, 2009
      On Oct 15, 2009, at 3:03 PM, Max Battcher wrote:

      > Jo Anne wrote:
      >> OK, Guys, what the heck is Google Wave? Is it like what Twits do
      >> with
      >> Tweets? I know what a beta test is, but a Google Wave? "Speak
      >> slowly and
      >> directly into the microphone, please".
      >
      > It depends on who you ask and how much hype they've ingested,
      > digested, and are prepared to spew back at you...
      >
      > Basically, Google Wave is an attempt at a convergence of... well,
      > everything that is communication, actually. It tries to converge the
      > immediacy of IM or Twitter with the long term storage and general
      > richness of email or forum conversations or Word documents.
      >
      > It has the possibility of becoming "One Inbox to Rule Them All", but
      > that invokes a lot of assumptions that may not necessarily be true
      > nor become true.
      >
      > So far, I remain a skeptic of the project: considering how hard it
      > is to explain the system I wonder if it is too complex to easily
      > gain mainstream acceptance/usage.
      >
      > You can watch the long video (and it is long) trying to explain the
      > thing at the Wave website:
      >
      > http://wave.google.com

      I haven't chimed in on Wave or the more general subject of cloud
      computing yet, since I haven't used it yet (which, in some people's
      judgment, makes me ineligible to comment, although I consider that a
      questionable argument), but my misgivings about it are generally
      related to the same question of how valid the underlying assumptions
      are, as well as the overall reliability of the servers the storage
      lives on.

      (It seems to me that a lot of the hype around the cloud computing
      concept is really thin on details of infrastructure, storage
      reliability/redundancy and backup maintenance, privacy protection, and
      a whole range of other unanswered questions I've had about it. And
      for people who seem so eager to have me store my personal data on
      their servers, a lot of those unanswered questions are show stoppers
      for me.)

      The true paradox of democracy is that it is vulnerable to defeat from
      within -- Me

      Message 54 of 54 , Nov 16, 2009
        At 06:27 PM Friday 11/13/2009, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:
        >At 03:32 PM Friday 11/13/2009, Julia wrote:
        >

        >> > Julia
        >>

        >> >who declined to take part in what she perceived was the torturing of the
        >> >rattlesnakes from Taylor during the premiere weekend of "Snakes on a Plane"
        >> >at the Alamo Drafthouse (this was at the Village location), and did *not*
        >> >reach out to touch the one being brought up the aisle on her side (and I
        >> >think that one was only about 5' long)
        >>

        >>The Alamo Drafthouse is a church?
        >>

        >>. . . ronn! :)
        >>

        >>____________________
        >>
        >>Nope.
        >>
        >>http://www.drafthouse.com/
        >>
        >>Opening weekends of some things, they go all-out.
        >>
        >>Oh, and Harry Knowles' Butt-Numb-A-Thon is held at one.
        >>
        >>And, well, that's where I found out that cheese & grapes is *not* as good
        >>for my digestion as cheese & apples. (I'm inclined *not* to order the
        >>cheese & fruit plate after that one.)
        >>
        >>One of the featured menu items for about a month was "Snakes on a Plate".
        >>And I hear tell that rattler (which was the snake they were using) tastes
        >>like chicken. I declined to explore that.
        >>
        >> Julia
        >

        >When you said that they brought a rattlesnake "up the aisle" for
        >folks to touch I of course immediately thought of those
        >snake-handling churches, hence my wisecrack . . .

        And here's another one:

        Natural Selection free online comic strip library at comics.com -
        http://comics.com/natural_selection/2009-11-16/

        . . . ronn! :)