Re: Google Operating System

  • Mauro Diotallevi
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 9, 2009
      On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Charlie Bell<charlie@...> wrote:

      > On 09/07/2009, at 1:35 PM, John Williams wrote:
      >> My impression is that the "Chrome OS" will allow you to avoid just
      >> what you say above. It is an actual OS, although probably "OS lite"
      >> would be a better term.
      >
      > ...and Google already have one. It's called Android, plus there's gOS which
      > Google had hefty input into. And there are miriad other Linuces and BSDs to
      > try, up to and including Darwin/OSX. So I'm with Will (you can pick
      > yourselves up at your leisure). Don't see the point of Chrome, except to
      > leverage Google's brand and no doubt increase the amount of data they have
      > to analyse on the way we use PCs...

      Isn't Android build for mobile phones? And gOS is pretty limited,
      from what I understand. As for the point of Chrome OS, maybe Google
      won't overtake any of the existing major OSes overnight, but then
      Honda didn't become a major car manufacturer overnight when it decided
      it wanted to make more than motorcycles.

      --
      Mauro Diotallevi
      "The number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate your phone 90

    • Julia
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 14, 2009