Re: Google Operating System

  • Bruce Bostwick
    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 9, 2009
      On Jul 9, 2009, at 9:11 AM, Mauro Diotallevi wrote:

      >> http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2009/07/lets-all-take-deep-breath-and-get-some.html
      >> It's brilliant start to finish, but I especially liked:
      >> Trying to make an OS out of Chrome is like saying you're going
      >> to turn a Pontiac Aztek into a stretch limousine. I suppose it
      >> could be done, but why?
      > Because if competition is good, more competition is better?
      > I use MacOS, three different flavors of Linux, and a couple of
      > different versions of Windows, depending on whether I'm at work (and
      > if so, at which computer), or at home, or out and about with my wife's
      > laptop, and depending on exactly what I'm doing at the time (I have
      > some old games that only run error-free on Windows ME, if you can
      > believe it). I like what Google did to e-mail with GMail, and expect
      > that they might have some new bright ideas to bring to the table in
      > terms of operating systems.

      Since it's pretty clear that Chrome OS is going to be built on a Linux
      distro of some form or another (not sure which one, or whether they
      plan to fork an existing distro into their own development track like
      Darwin was forked from FreeBSD), Google's part of the job is mainly
      going to be the GUI. If they make it better than Gnome or KDE or X11,
      they'll probably at least be able to get a foothold in the market.

      But Google does GUI's well. I'm kind of curious to see what they do
      with this. :)

      (As far as why .. well, it's possible that Google has taken notice
      that Microsoft has been promoting Bing pretty heavily, and this is a
      shot across their bow. If Chrome OS succeeds, and evolves into
      something that can displace Windows as a full-functioning OS, there's
      a possibility that Microsoft has bitten off more than it can chew in
      picking this particular fight. If Google is successful enough with
      this, it may finally push MS into a position where it has little
      choice but to migrate to a Unix-based core and GUI model like
      *everyone* else in the market. At a time not of their choosing,
      unlike Apple's beautifully timed migration from OS 9 to OS X.)

      "When you mention that we want five debates, say what they are: one on
      the economy, one on foreign policy, with another on global threats and
      national security, one on the environment, and one on strengthening
      family life, which would include health care, education, and
      retirement. I also think there should be one on parts of speech and
      sentence structure. And one on fractions." -- Toby Ziegler

    • Julia
      Message 32 of 32 , Jul 14, 2009