Re: BRIN: Startide books on Kindle?

  • David Brin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 11, 2009

      Great! Thanks for the quick response. Any idea how long it will be
      before Kindle editions are available?

      I have no idea.  Hopefully just a matter of months.

      Meanwhile folks, remember to drop by http://www.davidbrin.com

      I've been on several episodes of Life After People.

      Be sure to order THROUGH STRANGER EYES for your Brin fix.

      Also see several novellas of mine on Baen's UNIVERSE Magazine online, including two very different comedies!

      Oh, any of you who used to pre-read my manuscripts... are you still interested?  I have a couple of items, starting with my wife's new YA sf novel.  Cheryl has written a lovely, somewhat feminine story about a girl on a colony planet, growing up fast while her nation goes through a conflict a lot like WWI.   It's really good!  But could use some more eyes.

      db
    • Medievalbk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11, 2009

        In a message dated 6/11/2009 11:25:26 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time, dbrin@... writes:
        John, I have the contracts in-hand, as we speak!
         With cordial regards,

        David Brin
        My Kindle reads from both sides.
        It makes a pretty sight.
        But with all the foes and all the friends
        The sequence aint always right.

        --Vilyehm

      • Koke
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 12, 2009
          John Williams wrote:

          Any idea why none of Startide Rising or the many sequels are available
          in Amazon Kindle format?

          I've been curious for some time why so few SF books are available for
          Kindle. Only about 1 in 5 of SF books that I would like to purchase
          are available for Kindle. The only explanation I can come up with is
          that Amazon caps the Kindle edition price at $9.99 (has anyone seen a
          SF Kindle book above $9.99?) and the publishers think there is no
          profit in it at that price. But paperback editions are frequently less
          than $9.99, so that explanation requires that the costs for selling a
          Kindle edition are higher than for a paperback, which would be odd. Is
          Kindle flawed in this way?

          ------------------------------

          There are many SF Kindle books available in the $14 - $15 range; these are
          usually new books. Look at Greg Bear's The City at the End of Time ($14.85)
          or Allen Steeles "Coyote Horizon" ($14.27). There are many others. Amazon
          tells us that "bestsellers" are usually $9.99. Unfortunately, the books that
          we (SF readers) are not usually bestsellers on the New York times list.

          I've noticed that the Kindle price on SF books seems to drop when a book
          comes out in paperback. That's not scientific, could be just coincidence and
          not trend.

          Also, there seems to be a dearth of older classics. There are many that I
          would buy if available.

          George A

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 13, 2009
            At 04:38 PM Friday 6/12/2009, Koke wrote:

            >There are many SF Kindle books available in the $14 - $15 range; these are
            >usually new books. Look at Greg Bear's The City at the End of Time ($14.85)
            >or Allen Steeles "Coyote Horizon" ($14.27).

            Or you could have gotten it from the library and read it like I did . . . ;)

            . . . ronn! :)