Re: BRIN: Startide books on Kindle?

  • David Brin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 11, 2009
      John, I have the contracts in-hand, as we speak!
       With cordial regards,

      David Brin

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11, 2009
        On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:24 AM, David Brin<dbrin@...> wrote:
        > John, I have the contracts in-hand, as we speak!

        Great! Thanks for the quick response. Any idea how long it will be
        before Kindle editions are available?

        In hand, huh? Kind of ironic that creating a Kindle edition requires
        PAPERwork! :-)

      • David Brin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 11, 2009

          Great! Thanks for the quick response. Any idea how long it will be
          before Kindle editions are available?

          I have no idea.  Hopefully just a matter of months.

          Meanwhile folks, remember to drop by http://www.davidbrin.com

          I've been on several episodes of Life After People.

          Be sure to order THROUGH STRANGER EYES for your Brin fix.

          Also see several novellas of mine on Baen's UNIVERSE Magazine online, including two very different comedies!

          Oh, any of you who used to pre-read my manuscripts... are you still interested?  I have a couple of items, starting with my wife's new YA sf novel.  Cheryl has written a lovely, somewhat feminine story about a girl on a colony planet, growing up fast while her nation goes through a conflict a lot like WWI.   It's really good!  But could use some more eyes.

          db
        • Medievalbk@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 11, 2009

            In a message dated 6/11/2009 11:25:26 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time, dbrin@... writes:
            John, I have the contracts in-hand, as we speak!
             With cordial regards,

            David Brin
            My Kindle reads from both sides.
            It makes a pretty sight.
            But with all the foes and all the friends
            The sequence aint always right.

            --Vilyehm

          • Koke
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 12, 2009
              John Williams wrote:

              Any idea why none of Startide Rising or the many sequels are available
              in Amazon Kindle format?

              I've been curious for some time why so few SF books are available for
              Kindle. Only about 1 in 5 of SF books that I would like to purchase
              are available for Kindle. The only explanation I can come up with is
              that Amazon caps the Kindle edition price at $9.99 (has anyone seen a
              SF Kindle book above $9.99?) and the publishers think there is no
              profit in it at that price. But paperback editions are frequently less
              than $9.99, so that explanation requires that the costs for selling a
              Kindle edition are higher than for a paperback, which would be odd. Is
              Kindle flawed in this way?

              ------------------------------

              There are many SF Kindle books available in the $14 - $15 range; these are
              usually new books. Look at Greg Bear's The City at the End of Time ($14.85)
              or Allen Steeles "Coyote Horizon" ($14.27). There are many others. Amazon
              tells us that "bestsellers" are usually $9.99. Unfortunately, the books that
              we (SF readers) are not usually bestsellers on the New York times list.

              I've noticed that the Kindle price on SF books seems to drop when a book
              comes out in paperback. That's not scientific, could be just coincidence and
              not trend.

              Also, there seems to be a dearth of older classics. There are many that I
              would buy if available.

              George A

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 13, 2009
                At 04:38 PM Friday 6/12/2009, Koke wrote:

                >There are many SF Kindle books available in the $14 - $15 range; these are
                >usually new books. Look at Greg Bear's The City at the End of Time ($14.85)
                >or Allen Steeles "Coyote Horizon" ($14.27).

                Or you could have gotten it from the library and read it like I did . . . ;)

                . . . ronn! :)