Watch the news out of Switzerland -

  • Pat Mathews
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 23, 2009
      UBS is starting to look very, very bad.

      I remember reading Earth and taking the Helvetian War for granted as the major early-21st Century Crisis without bothering to wonder what triggered the public mood of anger at their secrecy and covering up for dictators etc. Now, several months into the current recession, it becomes painfully clear -

      People will tolerate a lot of this sort of thing while they're making money or have hopes of making money. It's when the economy crashes and takes Main Street down with it that they get out the tar and feathers - and later the nukes. I've been watching it unfold with my own eyes.

      So - back to Earth - a worldwide economic crash in which the Swiss Bankers appeared to be the primary culprits, and the witch hunt is on until Helvetia glows in the dark. Yes. This makes SUCH good sense. Different timeline, of course, since it's the American financiers who are now in danger of being tarred and feathered and ridden out of town on a rail. But - google for UBS in trouble.

      http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/

    • David Brin
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 23, 2009
        Yep, Pat.  My chief fear is that people won't get riled up enough.