Re: Flatland - The Movie

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2009
      On Jan 31, 2009, at 4:38 PM, Rceeberger wrote:

      > http://www.flatlandthemovie.com/
      >
      > This flew right under my radar. Anyone seen it?
      > I really loved the book, it is a treasure.

      Bought it and enjoyed it with Peggy and Ryan. It had Ryan wondering
      about higher dimensions for days afterwards.

      The movie is nicely animated and well-voiced; cute but not too cute,
      smart but not too smart. A diverting half-hour or so.

      Two of our favorite parts were slacker-voiced one-dimensional "king of
      line-land" and the frankly insane, entirely self-absorbed zero-
      dimensional "point". The god-like character of the 3-dimensional
      sphere is spot on, as is his flat-out rejection of the "preposterous"
      notion of a 4th dimension.

      I am not sure whether the fact that the hypercube as shown at the end
      of the video (which I've seen elsewhere) makes no sense to me as a
      model of a 4-dimensional object intersecting with our 3-dimensional
      space is because I can't conceive of what that would be like on my
      own, or if the model (as also animated here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercube)
      is somehow deficient.

      I'm guessing it's the former.

      Dave, stuck in 3D