Re: Irregulars question about Culture

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 4, 2009
      On 05/01/2009, at 12:26 PM, Dan M wrote:
      > I followed the FAQ directions to send a message with subscribe
      > culture in
      > the body to listmanager@....

      No, you didn't follow the directions at all, or you followed
      fossilised ones you found on the interwebs instead of going to www.culturelist.org
      : try making the subject subscribe culture, and sending it to mind@...

      We haven't been on busstop for about 4 years-ish - certainly since a
      while before my Big Lap began.

      Charlie.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2009
        At 01:37 AM Monday 1/5/2009, Charlie Bell wrote:

        >On 05/01/2009, at 12:26 PM, Dan M wrote:
        > > I followed the FAQ directions to send a message with subscribe
        > > culture in
        > > the body to listmanager@....
        >
        >No, you didn't follow the directions at all, or you followed
        >fossilised ones you found on the interwebs instead of going to
        >www.culturelist.org
        >: try making the subject subscribe culture, and sending it to
        >mind@...
        >
        >We haven't been on busstop for about 4 years-ish - certainly since a
        >while before my Big Lap began.
        >
        >Charlie.

        Is it supposed to respond in some way?

        . . . ronn! :)

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2009
          On 05/01/2009, at 6:46 PM, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:
          > Is it supposed to respond in some way?

          Yeah. Mail me offlist if you're having issues.

          C.
        • Dan M
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 5, 2009
            > No, you didn't follow the directions at all, or you followed
            > fossilised ones you found on the interwebs instead of going to
            > www.culturelist.org
            > : try making the subject subscribe culture, and sending it to
            > mind@...
            >
            > We haven't been on busstop for about 4 years-ish - certainly since a
            > while before my Big Lap began.

            I did the latter, the old website is what came up via two Google searches.
            Now, I searched again, and both websites now come up...go figure.

            Anyways, I was trying to subscribe without bothering anyone. It's too bad
            that Google likes the 4 year old website.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 5, 2009
              Dan M said:

              > Anyways, I was trying to subscribe without bothering anyone. It's
              > too bad
              > that Google likes the 4 year old website.

              If you found the old one at http://theculture.org/culture/faq.htm then
              you should rest assured that I've updated it with correct subscription
              and unsubscription information.

              Rich
              GSV Watching The Cogs Turn
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 5, 2009
                On 4 Jan 2009, at 21:13, Dan M wrote:

                > I don't differ with Tetlock's essential findings: the pronouncements
                > of most
                > professional pundits in the areas of economics or geopolitics are
                > less than
                > worthless. I've seen separate documentation that, if you use a
                > broker, you
                > will, on average, do slightly worse than simply investing in a broad
                > based
                > index fund.

                Since fund managers charge hefty fees and perform no better than
                chance on average a simple tracker is bound to do better.

                > However, having said that, I think that the implications of his work
                > might
                > lead one to overstate the case; to state that there is no worth in
                > studying
                > or trying to understand finance or geopolitics. The former has been
                > argued
                > extensively here, so let me go to the latter.

                What kind of 'expert' can make predictions no better than a coin toss?
                It seems despite their jargon and ability to 'explain' things with
                hindsight that their knowledge is akin to astrology or Freudian
                analysis.

                It seems to me that a lot of very smart people are rationalising their
                belief in the modern equivalent of alchemy. Which Isaac Newton wasted
                a lot of time on in his day. And lost his shirt in the Tulip bubble.

                Imaginary Patterns Maru

                --
                William T Goodall
                Mail : wtg@...

                "I embraced OS X as soon as it was available and have never looked
                back." - Neal Stephenson

              • Andrew Crystall
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 8, 2009
                  On 6 Jan 2009 at 1:19, William T Goodall wrote:

                  > What kind of 'expert' can make predictions no better than a coin >toss?

                  When there's 2 paths, not very expert. When there's 1000...

                  AndrewC