Epochal media: 200 years ago and next week!

  • d.brin
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
      I can't believe it almost slipped by without notice.

      Right now... give or take a couple of weeks... we are passing through
      the two hundredth anniversary of one of the greatest events in the
      history of art. Perhaps of all humanity. The "Winter Concert" of
      1808, when Ludwig Von Beethoven unveiled and conducted, for the very
      first time:

      The Fourth Piano Concerto
      The Fifth Symphony
      The Sixth Symphony
      and
      The Violin Concerto in D

      Most of you know the two symphonies. Arguably his best in many ways.
      Lyrical, evocative, filled with color and imagery and drama.
      Certainly more measured and less tinged in overweening ego than the
      glorious Ninth. They, alone, would have made that debut concert an
      event for the ages.

      But the Fourth Piano Concerto is just as wondrous, as beautiful and
      awe inspiring as the symphonies.

      As for the Violin Concerto...?

      Matters of art are subjective, of course. But I deem Beethoven's
      Violin Concerto to be the greatest work of music ever conceived by
      Man.

      How could such an event go by, unremarked at the time... and its
      bicentennial barely noted, even today?

      That question is almost as fascinating as: how were people able to
      sit still for so long in one place, even to experience such beauty?
      Dang, they must have had iron bottoms. And -- in an era without
      recordings -- they must have really hungered for music.

      Twenty years ago, I began a time travel story, about a famed cellist
      from the future who travels back to sneak into Beethoven's 1808
      orchestra. Like all my other time travel stories, it remains
      unfinished. In this case, because - despite having played violin in
      orchestras, in my youth, and having sung in a semi-pro chorale group
      - I simply know too little musicology to do the story justice. I'd
      need just the right collaborator... alas.

      Still, I can't believe the bicentennial almost went by.

      Well, somebody must have noticed. Because last night, getting in my
      car after seeing Kim Stanley Robinson and Geoff Ryman do wonderful
      readings at Sheldon Brown's SCALABLE CITY event, I tuned into NPR and
      found them playing a terrific version of the 4th Piano Concerto, with
      some of the best cadenzas I've heard.

      And I got to wave my arms, conducting it, all the way home.

      =======

      Oh, but art never stops!

      Tune in to "my" latest episode of the ongoing History Channel show
      The Universe, entitled "Alien Faces," and produced by John Greenwald.
      It will premier this Tuesday night, December 09th at 9:00pm!

      See a preview. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1RSZDtm8Zw
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2008
        In a message dated 12/3/2008 3:09:46 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
        dbrin@... writes:

        And I got to wave my arms, conducting it, all the way home.

        To hell with liberal or conservative.

        Let's debate Toscanini or Stokowski.

        Vilyehm
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
          On 04/12/2008, at 8:53 AM, d.brin wrote:

          > Matters of art are subjective, of course. But I deem Beethoven's
          > Violin Concerto to be the greatest work of music ever conceived by
          > Man.

          Arguably. It's certainly a phenomenal piece of music. Your post has
          inspired me to go and find a good recording on CD, as I've lost almost
          all off my classical music in moving around the planet - *all* my
          vinyl is gone. I shall hit the music store on Friday.

          Incidentally, and Off Topic (of course - this is Brin-L after all), I
          got a bit of a nasty shock when I saw the name "Sheldon Brown" in the
          to-field, 'cause he died a few months ago. "Maybe Dr Brin doesn't know
          he died," I thought. Then I checked the address and realised it was a
          different Sheldon Brown (apparently, the computer artist, not the
          bicycling guru). So as you were. :-)

          Charlie.
        • Mauro Diotallevi
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
            On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 3:53 PM, d.brin <dbrin@...> wrote:

            > Matters of art are subjective, of course. But I deem Beethoven's
            > Violin Concerto to be the greatest work of music ever conceived by
            > Man.

            I have to strongly disagree with you on this. I think the Piano
            Concerto #4 is the greatest work. :-) There is a live recording from
            1983 that was made by pianist Alfred Brendel with James Levine
            conducting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra of all five Beethoven Piano
            Concerti. Listen to that recording of the PC 4. It will make a
            believer out of you.

            --
            Mauro Diotallevi
            "The number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate your phone 90
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
              On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, d.brin wrote:

              > As for the Violin Concerto...?
              >
              > Matters of art are subjective, of course. But I deem Beethoven's
              > Violin Concerto to be the greatest work of music ever conceived by
              > Man.

              Can someone with good knowledge of this piece recommend a particular
              recording of it?

            • David Brin
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
                This Youtubed concert shows the marvelous Anne-Sophie Mutter as soloist.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4U7C1_dxCA&feature=related

                But get better sound on a CD. I love the Itzhak Perlman recording. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

                By the way, folks. Announcing my latest short story, now available for your pleasure at Baen’s Universe Magazine.

                http://www.baens-universe.com/articles/Shoresteading__Part_One

                The first half is up free. To read the rest (of part one), you need to subscribe to the magazine... which is well worth it! (There’s more content than in any print zine, and you can’t beat the convenience.) Indeed, you’ll be able to fish back and read Parts 1-4 of my hilarious serialized sf-spoof comedy, “The Ancient Ones.” And, coming this spring, another funny one in a much more broad comedic style: “Gorilla My Dreams.” Also "The Smartest Mob" which is set in the same universe as Shoresteading."

                A Plethora! Membership/subscriptions are on a sliding scale. And now, just for you folks, an added bonus! Type in coupon code EE329517B2 - which is good for $5 off any subscription!

                (This is the novella I hope people may nominate in 2009! ;-)

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 4, 2008
                  Though "my" Sheldon does bicycle 30 miles a day.

                  Again, the YouTube concerto is:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4U7C1_dxCA&feature=related

                  thrive