Re: Brin: Life after People

    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 28, 2008
      On Nov 27, 2008, at 1:37 PM, Medievalbk@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 11/27/2008 1:39:50 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
      > dbrin@... writes:
      >
      >> We might even have become gods and simply moved away!
      >>

      > Only if we've paid off the mortgage.
      >
      > Hmm..... story idea there somewhere.

      More likely that the mortgagee foreclosed on us. Anyway, that seems
      to be something like how the story ends in various religions.

      Who is the mortgagee, and who the mortgage holder?

      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 28, 2008
        In a message dated 11/28/2008 4:37:48 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
        dmland@... writes:

        On Nov 27, 2008, at 1:37 PM, Medievalbk@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 11/27/2008 1:39:50 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
        > dbrin@... writes:
        >
        >> We might even have become gods and simply moved away!
        >>

        > Only if we've paid off the mortgage.
        >
        > Hmm..... story idea there somewhere.

        More likely that the mortgagee foreclosed on us. Anyway, that seems
        to be something like how the story ends in various religions.

        Who is the mortgagee, and who the mortgage holder?

        Dave

        In Uplift, The Progenitors and our long lost Patrons.

        (Beware of Rothen with carpetbags and long thin
        mustaches.)

        I'm now going to go hide in the belly of a whale fighting a
        giant squid.

        Vilyehm
        AOL.com.
      • Euan Ritchie
        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 28, 2008
          Recently some physicists announced the result of some serious number
          crunching that is evidence that the majority of the universes mass is
          the interaction between quarks that form protons and neutrons.

          Made of gluons that transmit the strong nuclear force this interaction
          is the 'quantum foam' of bubbling particles popping in and out of
          existence - in theory.

          I don't like that theory. Not that I'm even remotely qualified to have
          much of an opinion. I find the concept of particles popping in and out
          of existence unsatisfying and inelegant. I would only accept it
          as true if it's merely a way of expressing something deeper (m-branes
          bending in and out of our dimension for instance).

          I'd be much happier if the explanation was about more about the shaping
          of space than the exchange of particles.

          Here's a page summarising the news...

          http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16095-its-confirmed-matter-is-merely-vacuum-fluctuations.html
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 28, 2008
            Ooops, that non-sequitor was meant for another list.
            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 28, 2008
              On 29 Nov 2008, at 00:06, Euan Ritchie wrote:

              > Ooops, that non-sequitor was meant for another list.

              It was perfectly suitable for here actually.

              All topics Maru
              --
              William T Goodall
              Mail : wtg@...

              Most people have more than the average number of legs.

              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 29, 2008
                On Sat, 29 Nov 2008, Euan Ritchie wrote:

                > Ooops, that non-sequitor was meant for another list.

                It was fine here, as far as I'm concerned.

                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 29, 2008
                  >Dave said
                  >More likely that the mortgagee foreclosed on us. Anyway,
                  >that seems to be something like how the story ends in various
                  >religions. Who is the mortgagee, and who the mortgage holder?
                  To answer the question about the story or about gods or about mortgagee
                  who is the mortgagee? Now that is a question about Gods and Dogs
                  The same word you see because we come from beyond the sun
                  After our planet blew up in this same galaxy beyond the dog star
                  And rode the debris like it was a space ship to earth and found these
                  Cave dwellers Knee Ander Thralls if you will Ice me doing they thang
                  As we dance and sing and built the great Helios pads mapping stars
                  Trying to get home and mocking our pass and travels to this terror
                  Affirma and so it is and so it shall be we are the extra terror arresta
                  We built the great Peril Amid the unicorn Ah Hiss that dance like
                  Snakes in the cutie and map the mirrors of the sky and invented
                  The greater calendars of the MY Ions and eons and so we are the creators
                  Of worlds before this world and we rose from our rocks and come
                  To the new beginning where the light travel with the lesser speed than me
                  And they come to envy us and wish to belong to us and become our
                  Domesticates so they mortgage they souls for the gold and silver stuff
                  Which were the remnants of our world and this is how it was to be
                  We confounded they tongues and created another language for them
                  And enslaved them to our epic oracles and so it was and so it is
                  That they stole our ideas as we evolved from their dead planet
                  To compete with their virus and our germ the sperm made
                  The journey from the hot rocks now cold and in their water
                  We found our first home and paid our first mortgages and so
                  It was and yet shall it be that one come out to evolve from gods to men
                  Morris J. Peavey, Jr.
                  >From Ghettonomics to the Kinky Nashun where treat stories are told
                  http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Ghettonomics/Morris-J-Peavey/e/9781410721006
                  This is a part of the story of the answer to the story about extraterrestrials
                  But the plot thickens as we move from a world of slaves [and indentures]
                  To the present day wage slaves where we must assume the cost to bear
                  Our own huddles built by the great white god fathers founding our
                  Domesticates dumdomes and marking the paths with their names
                  And polluting our sanctuaries with places to hide somewhere in cavern
                  Or should I say oracles of Diana or OH Dell Fire hell fire realities
                  We got da sum for the ole hum bugs and lady bugs and scarabs
                  also
                  Well if you are real travelers meet me half way and see the trick ah trick
                  Let me show you a mortgagee and I tell you another story about
                  A homeless veteran and homeless morgagee
                  There are a million stories in this world about
                  Lying and taking or property that goes back
                  To when slaves all lived in bunkhouses like
                  American soldiers and never owned what we
                  Got nerves to think we are losing and the world
                  Is bam bam bozzled again and again run amuck
                  >From Ah Kinky Nashun where life is lived to
                  http://mahsstoryy.wordpress.com/category/religion/
                  The great stories have already been told by the science
                  And fiction bluffs! Read and comment!
                  -------------- Original message from Dave Land <dmland@...>: --------------

                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 29, 2008
                    On Nov 29, 2008, at 6:08 AM, Julia Thompson wrote:

                    > On Sat, 29 Nov 2008, Euan Ritchie wrote:
                    >
                    >> Ooops, that non-sequitor was meant for another list.
                    >
                    > It was fine here, as far as I'm concerned.

                    Coordinated nicely with Rob's "Matter is merely vacuum fluctuations"
                    post of yesterday.

                    Dave

                    What Does it Matter Maru

                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 29, 2008
                      See,

                      (Top-posting. So sue me.)

                      This is why, after all the fussin' and a-feudin', we stay
                      on this list: to read a post like this one. Thanks, James!

                      Dave

                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 29, 2008
                        >Recently some physicists announced the result of some serious number
                        >crunching that is evidence that the majority of the universes mass is
                        >the interaction between quarks that form protons and neutrons.

                        Well, that's not really news, right? We've known ever since the quark
                        theory was well established (with the November 1974 revolution in particle
                        physics), that the pion was a quark-antiquark pair (ups and downs) with a
                        mass of 140 Mev, while the proton and neutron had 3 quarks (ups and downs)
                        and a mass close to 940 Mev.

                        Made of gluons that transmit the strong nuclear force this interaction
                        is the 'quantum foam' of bubbling particles popping in and out of
                        existence - in theory.

                        >I don't like that theory. Not that I'm even remotely qualified to have
                        >much of an opinion. I find the concept of particles popping in and out
                        >of existence unsatisfying and inelegant. I would only accept it
                        >as true if it's merely a way of expressing something deeper (m-branes
                        >bending in and out of our dimension for instance).

                        So, I take it you don't even like QED, which has been verified to a zillion
                        places, because the polarization of the vacume and renormalization? It's
                        been around for 50-60 years. Indeed, virtual particles are so inherent in
                        quantum theory, I can't think of how to explain the last 80 years of
                        physics without them. Maybe Rich knows of such a theory, but I know how
                        Weinberg talked about the fact that while one can come up with different
                        theories slighly different than special and general relativity that are
                        close to right, that one cannot do the same with QM.

                        You need to remember that the only purpose of physics is to model
                        observations. Discussion what is real and what isn't is metaphysics. Thus,
                        the arguements over the interpretation of QM are metaphysical arguements.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 29, 2008
                          I can't believe nobody mentioned Stephen Baxter's book (he is one of the Bs,
                          after all!).

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_Diagrams

                          Now somebody has.

                          I certainly enjoyed the book, especially the title story.

                          Weird, being on-topic, isn't it?