When nuns attack

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2008
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/04/rutino-nuns-aniello-esposito-italy

      "Nuns beat me, says restaurateur
      • Tom Kington in Rome
      • The Guardian,
      • Tuesday November 4 2008
      • Article history
      An Italian man has claimed he was beaten up by two 83-year-old nuns
      and a priest in a row over the ownership of a restaurant in a small
      southern town.

      Aniello Esposito, 49, told police he arrived at the restaurant he runs
      in Rutino in Campania to find the three throwing furniture into the
      street and smashing plates.

      When he tried to intervene the priest knocked him to the ground with a
      chair and the two nuns began to kick him, he claimed.

      Esposito was taken to hospital in an ambulance after the incident a
      month ago, where doctors found neck and abdominal contusions,
      according to his hospital file.

      The mother superior of the local convent of the Disciples of Saint
      Teresa, home to the nuns, yesterday said the nuns had started to
      remove furniture from the restaurant because the premises were owned
      by the convent and had been occupied illegally by Esposito.

      But a lawyer representing the nuns, Gaetano Di Vietri, denied his
      clients had attacked Esposito.

      "The nuns and the priest arrived to find a wall had been knocked down
      and seating installed. I don't know how this man was hurt, but the two
      nuns are both 83 and did not cause any injury."

      Esposito said he had rented the premises in good faith. "But I was
      giving out receipts, which didn't suit the nuns, who wanted everything
      under the counter," he said."

      God's protection racket Maru

      --
      William T Goodall
      Mail : wtg@...

      I think a case can be made that faith is one of the world's great
      evils, comparable to the smallpox virus but harder to eradicate. -
      Richard Dawkins

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2008
        Man threatens two Christians, may lose an eye
        (http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_10464829)

        COLORADO SPRINGS — A man who came to the home of two women whom he had
        threatened to decapitate with a knife received a blow to the head that
        could cost him an eye, according to Colorado Springs police.

        Russell Bowman, who claims to be an atheist, threatened the women
        because they are Christian on Sept. 8. On Friday, he arrived at their
        apartment and stood in a hallway, according to a police report.

        "Another resident of the apartment retrieved a shotgun and approached
        Bowman, who was by then walking away. The resident ordered Bowman to
        put the knife down," according to the report.

        Bowman refused and approached the resident, who hit him with the butt
        of the shotgun, injuring his eye.

        "Bowman was treated at Memorial Hospital where it was determined the
        injury to the eye was so severe, the eye would need to be surgically
        removed," the report said.
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2008
          On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Dave Land wrote:

          > Man threatens two Christians, may lose an eye
          > (http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_10464829)
          >
          > COLORADO SPRINGS — A man who came to the home of two women whom he had
          > threatened to decapitate with a knife received a blow to the head that
          > could cost him an eye, according to Colorado Springs police.
          >
          > Russell Bowman, who claims to be an atheist, threatened the women
          > because they are Christian on Sept. 8. On Friday, he arrived at their
          > apartment and stood in a hallway, according to a police report.
          >
          > "Another resident of the apartment retrieved a shotgun and approached
          > Bowman, who was by then walking away. The resident ordered Bowman to
          > put the knife down," according to the report.
          >
          > Bowman refused and approached the resident, who hit him with the butt
          > of the shotgun, injuring his eye.
          >
          > "Bowman was treated at Memorial Hospital where it was determined the
          > injury to the eye was so severe, the eye would need to be surgically
          > removed," the report said.

          There's a huge difference between atheists, even militant ones, and
          psychos who go around attacking other people on the basis of what religion
          the other people subscribe to.

          And psychos who attack other people for whatever reason are asking for
          whatever the intended victims dish out in self-defense.

          (FWIW, this is not the first time I've heard of someone losing an eye due
          to an injury bestowed by a woman he was trying to harm. In that case, the
          intent was rape of someone he thought would be an easy target. She
          turned out not to be.)

          Julia
        • Andrew Crystall
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
            On 4 Nov 2008 at 8:39, Julia Thompson wrote:

            > There's a huge difference between atheists, even militant ones, and
            > psychos who go around attacking other people on the basis of what religion
            > the other people subscribe to.

            Sorry Julia, but bullshit. It's precisely the same - attacking
            someone because they don't agree with your views. If religion, lack
            of religion, politics, creed, colour or whatever is used by the
            criminal as their excuse is quite, afaik, irrelevant.

            AndrewC
          • Bruce Bostwick
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2008
              On Nov 5, 2008, at 2:49 AM, Andrew Crystall wrote:

              >> There's a huge difference between atheists, even militant ones, and
              >> psychos who go around attacking other people on the basis of what
              >> religion
              >> the other people subscribe to.
              >
              > Sorry Julia, but bullshit. It's precisely the same - attacking
              > someone because they don't agree with your views. If religion, lack
              > of religion, politics, creed, colour or whatever is used by the
              > criminal as their excuse is quite, afaik, irrelevant.
              >
              > AndrewC

              And the religion itself (or, in the case of atheism, the lack of it)
              isn't to blame for the violence of unstable individuals using the
              religion (or lack thereof) as an excuse or rationalization for that
              violence. It's the emotional/psychological instability and intent to
              act violently toward others that are wrong, not the religion (or lack
              thereof) that was used by the individual to justify the violence.

              (Inasmuch as some of the more extreme sects in this country do
              sometimes come close to the line of inciting violence, whether or not
              they cross it, and take advantage to some extent of the fact that the
              more unstable individuals in their margins may take certain carefully
              crafted messages to heart and run with them, providing both
              enthusiastic moral enforcers and plausible deniability for their
              actions, while at the same time capitalizing on incidents like this
              one to support their own claims that they are actually the ones being
              persecuted..)

              "I don't plan on any shooting taking place during this job." "Well,
              what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar..."
              -- "Serenity