Re: [brightonmitre] Bike box vs bike bag

  • Mark Mergler
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
      I also have a box you could use.

      On 1 Nov 2008, at 00:12, "Carl Cornago" <ezequielc11@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Has anyone had any real horror stories regarding taking their
      > expensive bike abroad using a bike bag as I am thinking of flying to
      > Malaga and then making my way to La Sierra Nevada, Granada? I did
      > use the bike bag back in the 1990's when I flew to Madrdid and I
      > don't want to repeat that experience again.
      >
      > The thought of my bike being in the hands of the Monarch Airlines
      > staff and the baggage handlers at London Gatwick and Malaga airports
      > is not a nice one!
      >
      > Anyway, does anyone know where I could hire or borrow a bike box
      > from in Brighton within the next three days?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Carl

    • Phil Allen
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
        P.S. I meant the box, not my best bike!

        ________________________________
        I have a dhb bike box you can borrow. It's a tight fit, but I have taken my best bike abroad twice with no problems whatsoever. It is a cumbersome beast, though!

        ____________ _________ _________ __
        Has anyone had any real horror stories regarding taking their expensive bike abroad using a bike bag as I am thinking of flying to Malaga and then making my way to La Sierra Nevada, Granada? I did use the bike bag back in the 1990's when I flew to Madrdid and I don't want to repeat that experience again.

        The thought of my bike being in the hands of the Monarch Airlines staff and the baggage handlers at London Gatwick and Malaga airports is not a nice one!

        Anyway, does anyone know where I could hire or borrow a bike box from in Brighton within the next three days?

        Thanks

        Carl

        Catch up on all the latest celebrity gossip
        http://clk.atdmt com/GBL/go/ 115454061/ direct/01/

      • Carl Cornago
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
          Hi Mark and Phil,

          Thanks for the offer which is very kind, however, I think I will take my chances with the bike bag as I didn't realise I had to half dismantle the bike for it to fit into the bike box. I think what I'll do is buy or get some bubble wrap from the bike shop in order to protect the bike along with plenty of cardboard. Fingers crossed it will be ok . . . I guess the bike frame is now at least 15 years old so a few extra scratches won't make much of a difference.

          Once again thanks for the offer.

          Carl

          To: brightonmitre@yahoogroups.comFrom: philallen01@...: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 09:08:05 +0000Subject: Re: [brightonmitre] Bike box vs bike bag

          P.S. I meant the box, not my best bike!________________________________From: Phil Allen <philallen01@...>To: brightonmitre@yahoogroups.comSent: Saturday, 1 November, 2008 0:16:36Subject: Re: [brightonmitre] Bike box vs bike bagI have a dhb bike box you can borrow. It's a tight fit, but I have taken my best bike abroad twice with no problems whatsoever. It is a cumbersome beast, though!____________ _________ _________ __From: Carl Cornago <ezequielc11@ hotmail.co. uk>To: brightonmitre@ yahoogroups. comSent: Saturday, 1 November, 2008 0:10:39Subject: [brightonmitre] Bike box vs bike bagHi,Has anyone had any real horror stories regarding taking their expensive bike abroad using a bike bag as I am thinking of flying to Malaga and then making my way to La Sierra Nevada, Granada? I did use the bike bag back in the 1990's when I flew to Madrdid and I don't want to repeat that experience again. The thought of my bike being in the hands of the Monarch Airlines staff and the baggage handlers at London Gatwick and Malaga airports is not a nice one!Anyway, does anyone know where I could hire or borrow a bike box from in Brighton within the next three days?ThanksCarl ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Catch up on all the latest celebrity gossip http://clk.atdmt com/GBL/go/ 115454061/ direct/01/[Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        • Mark Mergler
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2008
            All you have to do is take off the wheels, pedals and bars - am sure you
            will need to do most of that with a bag anyway. Takes me 15 min to pack
            the bike into the box.

            If you do go for the bag approach then take extra care of the rear mech
            and hanger as this is often what gets damaged. I would remove the mech
            from the frame and tuck it up out of the way.

            Mark

            Thanks for the offer which is very kind, however, I think I will take my
            chances with the bike bag as I didn't realise I had to half dismantle
            the bike for it to fit into the bike box. I think what I'll do is buy or
            get some bubble wrap from the bike shop in order to protect the bike
            along with plenty of cardboard. Fingers crossed it will be ok . . . I
            guess the bike frame is now at least 15 years old so a few extra
            scratches won't make much of a difference.

            Once again thanks for the offer.

            Carl

            To: brightonmitre@yahoogroups.comFrom
            <mailto:brightonmitre%40yahoogroups.comFrom> :
            philallen01@... <mailto:philallen01%40yahoo.co.ukDate> :
            Sat, 1 Nov 2008 09:08:05 +0000Subject: Re: [brightonmitre] Bike box vs
            bike bag

            P.S. I meant the box, not my best
            bike!________________________________From: Phil Allen
            <philallen01@... <mailto:philallen01%40yahoo.co.uk> >To:
            brightonmitre@yahoogroups.comSent
            <mailto:brightonmitre%40yahoogroups.comSent> : Saturday, 1 November,

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2008
              Hi Mark,

              In the past when using the bike bag I've only had to take the wheels off, but this time will take on board your advice and remove the rear mech. I know I am being lazy by not wanting to take of the pedals, seat posts, etc, etc . . . I just hope my laziness doesn't bite me in the derier or rather "culo" in Spanish when I arrive in La Sierra Nevada!

              Anyway, thanks for the advice and will let you know how I got on with Mulhacen and Pico de Veleta.

              Thanks

              Carl

              To: brightonmitre@yahoogroups.comFrom: mark.mergler@...: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 06:40:48 +1100Subject: RE: [brightonmitre] Bike box vs bike bag

              All you have to do is take off the wheels, pedals and bars - am sure youwill need to do most of that with a bag anyway. Takes me 15 min to packthe bike into the box.If you do go for the bag approach then take extra care of the rear mechand hanger as this is often what gets damaged. I would remove the mechfrom the frame and tuck it up out of the way.MarkFrom: brightonmitre@yahoogroups.com[mailto:brightonmitre@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Carl CornagoSent: 01 November 2008 19:37To: brightonmitre@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [brightonmitre] Bike box vs bike bagHi Mark and Phil,Thanks for the offer which is very kind, however, I think I will take mychances with the bike bag as I didn't realise I had to half dismantlethe bike for it to fit into the bike box. I think what I'll do is buy orget some bubble wrap from the bike shop in order to protect the bikealong with plenty of cardboard. Fingers crossed it will be ok . . . Iguess the bike frame is now at least 15 years old so a few extrascratches won't make much of a difference.Once again thanks for the offer.Carl To: brightonmitre@yahoogroups.comFrom<mailto:brightonmitre%40yahoogroups.comFrom> :philallen01@... <mailto:philallen01%40yahoo.co.ukDate> :Sat, 1 Nov 2008 09:08:05 +0000Subject: Re: [brightonmitre] Bike box vsbike bagP.S. I meant the box, not my bestbike!________________________________From: Phil Allen<philallen01@... <mailto:philallen01%40yahoo.co.uk> >To:brightonmitre@yahoogroups.comSent<mailto:brightonmitre%40yahoogroups.comSent> : Saturday, 1 November,2008 0:16:36Subject: Re: [brightonmitre] Bike box vs bike bagI have adhb bike box you can borrow. It's a tight fit, but I have taken my bestbike abroad twice with no problems whatsoever. It is a cumbersome beast,though!____________ _________ _________ __From: Carl Cornago<ezequielc11@ hotmail.co. uk>To: brightonmitre@ yahoogroups. comSent:Saturday, 1 November, 2008 0:10:39Subject: [brightonmitre] Bike box vsbike bagHi,Has anyone had any real horror stories regarding taking theirexpensive bike abroad using a bike bag as I am thinking of flying toMalaga and then making my way to La Sierra Nevada, Granada? I did usethe bike bag back in the 1990's when I flew to Madrdid and I don't wantto repeat that experience again. The thought of my bike being in thehands of the Monarch Airlines staff and the baggage handlers at LondonGatwick and Malaga airports is not a nice one!Anyway, does anyone knowwhere I could hire or borrow a bike box from in Brighton within the nextthree days?ThanksCarl ____________ _________ _________ __________________ _________ _Catch up on all the latest celebrity gossiphttp://clk.atdmt com/GBL/go/ 115454061/ direct/01/[Non-text portions ofthis message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message havebeen removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed] __________________________________________________________See the most popular videos on the web http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/115454061/direct/01/%5bNon-text portions of this message have been removed][Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

            • Rob Fuller
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
                Phil

                This isn't very helpful. What specifically is wrong with your kit? There
                seems to be general discontent with Jolanda and Mike Leonard is looking
                at possible new kit manufacturers but it is difficult to know what
                issues we are trying to address without meaningful feedback. It is also
                worth noting that moving to a new manufacturer will involve a
                significant (30%+) plus increase in kit costs. A specific discussion on
                this topic is scheduled for the AGM.

                It is also worth noting that Jolanda manage to make kit that covers my
                lardy backside perfectly satisfactorily. Perhaps the answer is to gain
                some weight!

                Rob

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Sorry, Rob, but I wasn't trying to be helpful. I was trying to see if I could get some money back for the new kit I bought. What's wrong with it? The sizing is shoddy (how can the medium jersey be bigger than the large I bought last time?!) and the construction is very poor - they have the most avante-garde zips I've seen in a long time. Then again, assymetry is very 'in' at the moment.

                  I am aware that there is a proposal to seek an alternative (note: not replacement) kit manufacturer, so that people who want to buy better quality kit have the choice to do so. I understand that this will be more expensive, but, if it is a choice, I am happy to pay it, seeing as I already pay £50 a jersey for Giordana/Exte Ondo/Campag stuff anyway. As long as Jolanda is still available for those who don't want to pay the extra then that is fine.

                  I'm not wishing to cause problems, but if, as you say, there is general discontent, it seems sensible to voice it and get something done about it. If I had bought the Jolanda kit from a shop I would ask for my money back, so I believe the same applies here. I'm not just going to put up with poor quality because I want to wear club colours, especially when I've paid for it!

                  Mini-rant over. I have to apologise. I have the man-flu and it's making me tetchy!

                  Phillis