Re: [brazosastro] Wednesday, Shuttle/ISS

  • anjal_sharma@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008

      Group,

      I and the family (wife, daughter and in-Laws) just got back after seeing the ISS and the shuttle making their pass.  It was spectacular to say the least.  We went to the community pool area in our apartment complex at exactly 9:30PM.  I was excitedly chattering away with the family about the ISS and the shuttle and there were kids and adults at the pool area who heard me.  About 20 people total clustered around me as I pointed out Leo, Saturn, Regulus, Mars, Gemini and the twins (Castor and Pollux).  As I was pointing towards Castor, my Father-in-Law sang out, "Is that it?"  He was right.  Beginning low on the northwestern horizon, below the twins, the ISS began to brighten from a faint speck into a brilliant pastel dot.  It stayed low never getting up above 25 degrees, but I'd estimate that at it's brightest it was about as bright as Jupiter, perhaps a bit brighter.  As the ISS grew higher in the sky, and got past the Twins and just below Mars, a kid exclaimed, "Is that a plane following it?"  We saw another faint speck dogging the ISS growing brighter by the second.  It was the space shuttle.  And it was matching the ISS trajectory and growing brighter and brighter.  Then something spectacular happened, which made everyone go, "Whoa!", "Coool!" "Did you see that?"  We saw a burst of brilliant orange-yellow flame from the shuttle.  I'm guessing it fired it's rockets, or explosively ejected it's booster pack or something else involving flames shooting out from it.  At it's brightest, the shuttle appeared as bright as Saturn.  The pass continued for approximately three or four minutes.  Both were visible until they were just 10 degrees above the southwestern horizon.

      From: David <dakeller@cmaaccess. com>
      Subject: Re: [brazosastro] Shuttle/ISS
      To: brazosastro@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, June 10, 2008, 10:55 PM

      On Tuesday 10 June 2008 9:28:08 pm Judy Culver wrote:
      > David,
      > &nbsp;
      > They are suppose to undock early Wednesday morning.&nbsp; We should have
      > another good pass around 8:35 Wed. night.&nbsp; Have you seen them when
      > they are separated?&nbsp; It's really neat.&nbsp; I think you might have
      > been out here one time when they went over just before docking. &nbsp;
      > Judy

      I did see the "triple play" not too long ago. I believe it was the shuttle
      then a cargo ship and then the station I think. I had a good view tonight,
      even saw the ISS flare for a few seconds after it passed overhead. It was
      really bright.

      dk

    • anjal_sharma@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008

        Group,

        I and the family (wife, daughter and in-Laws) just got back after seeing the ISS and the shuttle making their pass.  It was spectacular to say the least.  We went to the community pool area in our apartment complex at exactly 9:30PM.  I was excitedly chattering away with the family about the ISS and the shuttle and there were kids and adults at the pool area who heard me.  About 20 people total clustered around me as I pointed out Leo, Saturn, Regulus, Mars, Gemini and the twins (Castor and Pollux).  As I was pointing towards Castor, my Father-in-Law sang out, "Is that it?"  He was right.  Beginning low on the northwestern horizon, below the twins, the ISS began to brighten from a faint speck into a brilliant pastel dot.  It stayed low never getting up above 25 degrees, but I'd estimate that at it's brightest it was about as bright as Jupiter, perhaps a bit brighter.  As the ISS grew higher in the sky, and got past the Twins and just below Mars, a kid exclaimed, "Is that a plane following it?"  We saw another faint speck dogging the ISS growing brighter by the second.  It was the space shuttle.  And it was matching the ISS trajectory and growing brighter and brighter.  Then something spectacular happened, which made everyone go, "Whoa!", "Coool!" "Did you see that?"  We saw a burst of brilliant orange-yellow flame from the shuttle.  I'm guessing it fired it's rockets, or explosively ejected it's booster pack or something else involving flames shooting out from it.  At it's brightest, the shuttle appeared as bright as Saturn.  The pass continued for approximately three or four minutes.  Both were visible until they were just 10 degrees above the southwestern horizon.    Everyone walked away awed by this spectacle.  I want to thank you, Judy, for bringing tonights ISS and shutlle pass to my attention.  We enjoyed watching it immensely.

        Anjal.

        The pass will be at 9:35, not 8:35.  Someday I will learn how to convert.

        Judy

        On Tuesday 10 June 2008 9:28:08 pm Judy Culver wrote:
        > David,
        > &nbsp;
        > They are suppose to undock early Wednesday morning.&nbsp; We should have
        > another good pass around 8:35 Wed. night.&nbsp; Have you seen them when
        > they are separated?&nbsp; It's really neat.&nbsp; I think you might have
        > been out here one time when they went over just before docking. &nbsp;
        > Judy

      • Judy Culver
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 11, 2008

          I'm so glad that you had a group to share it with!  The station is really getting huge.  It's a very amazing sight especially with the shuttle tagging along behind it.

          Judy

          I and the family (wife, daughter and in-Laws) just got back after seeing the ISS and the shuttle making their pass.  It was spectacular to say the least.  We went to the community pool area in our apartment complex at exactly 9:30PM.  I was excitedly chattering away with the family about the ISS and the shuttle and there were kids and adults at the pool area who heard me.  About 20 people total clustered around me as I pointed out Leo, Saturn, Regulus, Mars, Gemini and the twins (Castor and Pollux).  As I was pointing towards Castor, my Father-in-Law sang out, "Is that it?"  He was right.  Beginning low on the northwestern horizon, below the twins, the ISS began to brighten from a faint speck into a brilliant pastel dot.  It stayed low never getting up above 25 degrees, but I'd estimate that at it's brightest it was about as bright as Jupiter, perhaps a bit brighter.  As the ISS grew higher in the sky, and got past the Twins and just below Mars, a kid exclaimed, "Is that a plane following it?"  We saw another faint speck dogging the ISS growing brighter by the second.  It was the space shuttle.  And it was matching the ISS trajectory and growing brighter and brighter.  Then something spectacular happened, which made everyone go, "Whoa!", "Coool!" "Did you see that?"  We saw a burst of brilliant orange-yellow flame from the shuttle.  I'm guessing it fired it's rockets, or explosively ejected it's booster pack or something else involving flames shooting out from it.  At it's brightest, the shuttle appeared as bright as Saturn.  The pass continued for approximately three or four minutes.  Both were visible until they were just 10 degrees above the southwestern horizon.    Everyone walked away awed by this spectacle.  I want to thank you, Judy, for bringing tonights ISS and shutlle pass to my attention.  We enjoyed watching it immensely.

          Anjal.

          The pass will be at 9:35, not 8:35.  Someday I will learn how to convert.

          Judy

          On Tuesday 10 June 2008 9:28:08 pm Judy Culver wrote:
          > David,
          > &nbsp;
          > They are suppose to undock early Wednesday morning.&nbsp; We should have
          > another good pass around 8:35 Wed. night.&nbsp; Have you seen them when
          > they are separated?&nbsp; It's really neat.&nbsp; I think you might have
          > been out here one time when they went over just before docking. &nbsp;
          > Judy

        • Mark Spearman
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 13, 2008

            COOL!  AWESOME!  DUDE!