SFA Observatory Public Viewing Session Friday, Nov. 1

  • Judy Culver
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2007
      SFA Observatory News

      Public Viewing Session

      The SFA Observatory will be open to the public on the following night (weather permitting):
      Friday, November 2nd, 8:00pm
      Last week, Comet 17P/Holmes shocked sky watchers around the world with a sudden million-fold increase in brightness. It literally exploded into view, rapidly becoming a naked eye "star" in the constellation Perseus. Since then the comet has expanded dramatically. It is now physically larger than the planet Jupiter and subtends an angle in the night sky similar to the Moon's Sea of Tranquility, the right eye of the "Man in the Moon." Photographers, this amazing comet is an excellent target for off-the-shelf digital cameras and backyard telescopes. It grows visibly from night to night and no one knows how large it will become.

      SFA OBSERVATORY NOTES
      The SFA Observatory's viewing sessions are intended for visitors of all ages and are free of charge. Since these are outdoor events, poor weather conditions may force a cancellation. The current weather report can be found here. To reach the SFA Observatory dial 936-569-0102 and for maps and directions click here. We have free SFA Star Charts that you can download and print. To see what's up in the sky see this Week's Sky at a Glance.
      For larger groups please email me in advance so that I can have additional help available.
      This is the observatory mailing list. Feel free to reply about anything or request to be removed from this list.
      In addition to our public viewing session at the SFA Observatory you may also want to attend a planetarium show. The planetarium is located in building 53 on the map linked above. Here's the planetarium show schedule: http://www.physics.sfasu.edu/planetarium/index.htm

      http://mail.yahoo.com