Re: [brazosastro] CUMC Viewing Session

  • Somasundaram E
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 1, 2010
      Judy,

      I think I can be there too.
      One arm in a sling?! Broken arm? Hope you're OK and getting better.

      Somasundaram Essakiappan
      College Station, Texas

      On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Judy Culver <judy.culver@...> wrote:

      Thanks, Don.  This time we are planning on clear skies!

      Judy

      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 1, 2010
        Great, Soma.  Thanks!

        --

        ***************************************
        Don E. Bray
        Mail P. O. Box 10315, College Station, Texas 77842-0315
        Ship 1601 Fontaine Drive, College Station, Texas 77845-5612
        USA
        Office/Cellular 979-492-9534
        Fax 979-693-1620
        Res 979-693-1620

        New image of  Jupiter  at the  link below (070410)
        http://web.mac.com/debray1/
        <http://brayengr.com>

      • Judy Culver
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 9, 2010
          I just wanted to remind everyone about the viewing session tomorrow evening.  We sure could use some help.

          Judy

        • Don E. Bray

            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 9, 2010
              I'll be there too. But I might want to leave early. What time are we starting, Judy?

              Somasundaram Essakiappan
              College Station, Texas

              On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Don E. Bray <debray1@...> wrote:

              Judy,

              I will be there, with the 90 mm scope. Be sure to get the person at the church who is arranging this to have the key available so that the lights can be turned off.

              Don

              On 9 Dec 2010, at 4:18 PM, Judy Culver wrote:

              I just wanted to remind everyone about the viewing session tomorrow evening.  We sure could use some help.

              Judy

              ***************************************
              Don E. Bray
              Mail P. O. Box 10315, College Station, Texas 77842-0315
              Ship 1601 Fontaine Drive, College Station, Texas 77845-5612
              USA
              Office/Cellular 979-492-9534
              Fax 979-693-1620
              Res 979-693-1620

              New image of  Jupiter  at the  link below (070410)

            • Mark Spearman
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 9, 2010

                Let me check with the boss … I might be able to bring a scope.

                Mark

                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 9, 2010

                  Judy,

                  What are the times?

                  Mark

                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 9, 2010
                    Boss?

                    Somasundaram Essakiappan
                    College Station, Texas

                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 9, 2010
                      I'll check with Tracy tomorrow, but maybe we should start setting up between 5:30 and 6:00.  It gets dark pretty early.

                      Judy

                    • anjal_sharma@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 10, 2010
                        Ok, see you at the church at 5:30PM.  I'll get the camera, laptop and the daisy-chained extension cord.  Judy, wait until we locate a power receptacle and I've hooked up the extension cord and pulled it out.  Depending on where it is, it is possible that the cord may not reach the concrete of the basketball court.  We may have to set up in the grass nearer the buildings.  Thanks.

                        Anjal.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 10, 2010

                          Judy,

                          It turns out that I cannot make it because we are having company for dinner.

                          Y’all have fun.  It looks like it will be great.

                          Mark

                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 10, 2010

                            You can tell Soma is a single guy!

                            Let me check with the boss … I might be able to bring a scope.

                            Mark

                            I just wanted to remind everyone about the viewing session tomorrow evening.  We sure could use some help.

                            Judy

                          • Derek Kuhl
                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 10, 2010
                              With a lot to learn!

                              Derek Kuhl
                              Sent from my iPhone

                              Message 14 of 29 , Dec 10, 2010
                                OK, I've checked with Tracy and we can start setting up around 5:30.  The lights will be turned off.  Anjal is going to use my Vixen for video viewing, Don is bringing his scope, I will bring one of the little loaner scopes and Soma will be there to help out.  I think it will be a fun evening.

                                Everyone else is welcome to come out an join us.  The weather might even cooperate.

                                Judy

                              • Somasundaram E
                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 10, 2010
                                  Haha, actually that was a sincere question. All I was thinking was: Didn't Mark have his own company? :)

                                  Somasundaram Essakiappan
                                  College Station, Texas

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Dec 10, 2010
                                    Oh, I don't know about co-operation from weather. Check this: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?w0=t&w1=td&w2=wc&w3=sfcwind&w3u=1&w4=sky&w5=pop&w6=rh&w7=thunder&w8=rain&w9=snow&w10=fzg&w11=sleet&AheadHour=6&Submit=Submit&FcstType=graphical&textField1=30.60050&textField2=-96.31240&site=hgx&unit=0&dd=0&bw=0

                                    55% cloud cover and 75% R.H. is not exactly good weather to observe! I'm kind of hoping they turn out to be wrong, as they usually do.

                                    Somasundaram Essakiappan
                                    College Station, Texas

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Dec 10, 2010
                                      Well, it has to be better than last time.  The only thing we could see was Venus for about 5 seconds.

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Dec 10, 2010
                                        Looking out the window we are technically "scattered" with a cloud
                                        fraction I'm estmating at 40%. I think that's consistent with the
                                        evening's forecast, but we are seeing a return of Gulf moisture, which
                                        will argue in favor of more cloud cover.

                                        gerry

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Dec 10, 2010
                                          I am packed and ready so will probably come on out regardless of the
                                          weather, unless it is 100% cloud cover.

                                          Don

                                          ***************************************
                                          debray1@...

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Dec 10, 2010
                                            My scopes are in the truck and ready to go.  If it's too cloudy maybe Anjal will wow them with his photography like last time.

                                            Judy

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Dec 10, 2010
                                              Thanks for the weather reports!  I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

                                              Judy

                                              target=_blank>http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?w0=t&w1=td&w2=wc&w3=sfcwind&w3u=1&w4=sky&w5=pop&w6=rh&w7=thunder&w8=rain&w9=snow&w10=fzg&w11=sleet&AheadHour=6&Submit=Submit&FcstType=graphical&textField1=30.60050&textField2=-96.31240&site=hgx&unit=0&dd=0&bw=0>

                                              --
                                              Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager@...
                                              Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983

                                              <*> Your email settings:
                                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                                  brazosastro-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                                  brazosastro-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                            • Mark Spearman
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Dec 10, 2010

                                                The Clear Sky Chart looks pretty good.

                                                No clouds, medium transparency, terrible seeing.

                                                Good for this kind of group.

                                                Have fun!

                                                Mark