Please post?

  • jenn
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 27, 2007
      Hi. I'm a college student in the US. I'm taking a course that requires me to conduct an interview with someone from Brazil. I live in a small town in the northern US and there's no one living here that has Brazilian roots. So, I'm here asking for help...if there's a really nice person out there that wouldn't mind helping me out with my assignment, here it is. Thank you so much!

      Cultural Interview

      1.
      Identify the culture and/or country of origin for the
      interviewee. Include how you met the
      person.

      2.
      How do people greet each other � (shake hands, bow,
      embrace, other)?

      3.
      As a visitor to the country, would you exchange gifts
      at the first meeting? What gifts are considered appropriate? If flowers, what
      kind? (Some have special meanings.)

      4.
      How are children educated? At what age do they begin
      school? Do boys and girls generally go to separate schools, or are they
      separated by sex in the same school? Do they usually wear uniforms?

      5.
      What is the literacy rate for the country? The
      interviewee may not know the answer to this question, but you can find this
      information by looking at CountryWatch.com database available at Franklin University�s library Web site.

      6.
      How is garbage
      collection dealt with?

      7.
      What is the normal dress for men and women?

      8.
      What foods, if any, are generally not eaten or possibly
      considered taboo?

      9.
      Are there gestures or movements that would not be
      acceptable in polite society?

      10. Is
      it acceptable to bargain for goods at department stores or at markets?

      11. How
      do people spend their leisure time? What kinds of leisure activities do they
      participate in?

      12. What
      are normal work hours? Are most stores open on weekends? What days might they
      be closed?

      13. What
      are the important holidays? Are there special observances of these holidays?

      14. Where
      and how do people get married? What is the average marriage age? Is it
      acceptable not to get married? What is the attitude toward divorce?

      15. What
      is the national language of the country? Are other languages spoken?

      16. What
      is the principal religion(s) of the country? What are the basic beliefs or
      doctrines of these religions?

      17. Who
      are (or were) the major artists and writers?

      18. What
      kind of music is popular at this time? Who is the major pop star or movie star
      at the present time?

      19. What
      is the most popular type of car (SUV, compact car, alternative energy, etc)?

      20. How
      do people typically commute (walk, bicycle, public transportation, etc)?

    • heather cox
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 28, 2007
        Are you taking global cultures? This is the way I got my answers last year!

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Steve Kennel
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 28, 2007
          Hi!
          My name ia Ana Paula SIbert, I am 38 years old, female from Sao Paulo, Brazil. I will answer to your questions from the best of my knowledge.

          Answers:
          1.

          2. Brazilians greet each other by embrace and kisses on the face (one in each side). For a more formal greeting, like politicians, there will be a shake of hands and a half embrace (hug).

          3. When coming from another country is always nice to bring a small gift from that country. If you go for dinner, flowers and a bottle of wine is appropriated, for parties and birthdays, alcool and gifs. (there are no meanings, just appropriated).

          4. the children start school by the age of 4-5 for kindergarden and 6 years old for the first grade. There are public schools and private schools and they all use uniforms. The private schools can be mixed like Porto Seguro school which is German and Dante Aliglieri which is Italian and Arquideocezani (catholic School)also mixed and many others. I went to the Sao Jose Catholic School for girls only. So, there are both. As public school goes, I believe they all to be mix. The education, I heard from diferent sources, some of my friends are teacher in the US and Germany, I heard that Brazilian education is very difficult and best. We learn History and Geography in the 2 grade already. The tests are held on saturdays for 4 hours for 4 tests all at the same days (4 hours straight) with 5 diferent grades and 5 teachers all in a huge room. School in Brazil is very dificult.

          5.The new Constitution reserves 25% of state and municipal taxes and 18% of federal taxes for education. Private school programs are available to complement the public school system. In 2003, the literacy rate was at 88 percent of the population, and the youth literacy rate (ages 15–19) was 93.2 percent. I don't know for college graduates but my american friend who is a clollege student told me that in the U.S only 27% the population have college degree and he said that Brasil and Argentina to be larger percentage. So, you have to research on it to have the numbers, I couldn't find it and I cannot get hold of him at this moment to ask.

          6. Garbage collection is daily.

          7.The dress for men and women is very silmilar to american dress, I would say, identical.

          8. Food, for breakfast we have breads, many types of cheese and meat, fruits and juices. Eggs and yogurt, cereal and Cofee is always a must. Our favorite, always food would be rice, beans and lots of meat (the famous brazilian steak house barbacue). Brazilians are very health concious, we eat everything and anything, but in moderation and lots of workout, is just part of the culture. We don't eat much pork because we belive it to not be clean, and there are so much other meat that we really don't care for pork meat.

          9. yes, any type of intimidation wouldn't be acceptable. Flirt with someones boyfriend or girlfriend could get the person in really deep trouble. Disrespecting the family members are a big no no. Always to be polite with everyone.

          10. there is no bargain in Brazil.

          11. it depends, on Sundays we spend time in family. Saturday,, with friends, health clubs, nightlife, etc. Beach is big in Brazil. Surf is very popular for boys and girls as young as 4 years old.

          12. The normal working hours would be from 8am to 5pm. Stores are open on the weekends. Some open until 1 pm on sundays and some others just closed on Sundays, normally the shopping mall would be open everyday.

          13. there are many, just aerch at www.google.com and ask brazilian importan holidays. (if you have any questions after your search, email me and I will answer it to you).

          14.People get married in Church, most brazilians are catholics. It is acceptable to live together before marriage, divorce are okay but much rare than in the U.S becasue of the catholic religion and the Italian influences, about 89% of people are italian descedents and divorce is a no no.

          15. Portuguese.

          16. Catholic (Brazil held the majority of catholics in the world).

          17. Major artists in Brazil would be: singers like Tom Jobin (girl from Ipanema), Chico Buarque, Milton Nascimento, Simone, Ivete zangalo, Xuxa (children's show)...there are many!!! for the old writers, very famous ones you can find at http://www.brazilbrazil.com/literary.html the today writers (authors): Paulo Coelho is my favorite.

          18. There are diferent types of music in Brazil, samba, rock, pop, house music, etc. I like Ivete Zangalo, but there are many other ones...Paulo mendez da Rocha.
          soap operas we are the best, and there are many famous actors and actresses, I am watching now the " duas caras" soap opera. Very famous in Brazil, everbody watches soap operas.

          19. Flex fuel cars, they run on gasoline, ethanol or natural gas. Very poplular would be volkswagen and any other german cars like mercedes and BMW. Is cheaper for brazilians to purchase cars out of the country, the poor people cars would be the gol from volkswagen.

          19. there are manly 3 types of transportation: Car, bus and metro.

          I hope this help you, if you have any other question, just emailo.
          Good luck!
          cheers,
          Ana

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 29, 2007
            OK I read the answrs to the questions that were posted

            But EDUCATION HERE IS TERRIBLE , most have a 4th grade reading level
            and there is always a reason for school to be closed . The only
            people who get any real education in Brasil are those that pay for
            private school.

            --- In brazilsjoint@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kennel <dawgmaf16@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > soap operas we are the best, and there are many famous actors
            and actresses, I am watching now the " duas caras" soap opera. Very
            famous in Brazil, everbody watches soap operas.

            > 19. Flex fuel cars, they run on gasoline, ethanol or natural
            gas. Very poplular would be volkswagen and any other german cars
            like mercedes and BMW. Is cheaper for brazilians to purchase cars
            out of the country, the poor people cars would be the gol from
            volkswagen.

            > 19. there are manly 3 types of transportation: Car, bus and
            metro.

            > I hope this help you, if you have any other question, just
            emailo.
            > Good luck!
            > cheers,
            > Ana
            >
            > heather cox <heathermcox@...> wrote:
            > Are you taking global cultures? This is the way I got my

          • Clenio Oliveira
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 29, 2007
              Hi Heather,

              Well, my answers are a little bit different.

              1

              1.
              Identify the culture and/or country of origin for the
              interviewee. Include how you met the
              person.

              I am Brazilian. I have been living in the US for 8 years.

              2.
              How do people greet each other - (shake hands, bow,
              embrace, other)?

              We shake hands, opposite genders kiss each other, we hug (or half
              hug).
              3.
              As a visitor to the country, would you exchange gifts
              at the first meeting? What gifts are considered appropriate? If flowers,
              what
              kind? (Some have special meanings.)

              Gifts are welcome.

              4.
              How are children educated? At what age do they begin
              school? Do boys and girls generally go to separate schools, or are they
              separated by sex in the same school? Do they usually wear uniforms?
              Pretty much like in the US. There is no separation by sex. Some private
              schools require uniforms. Most public schools do not. Middle class and rich
              people send their kids to private schools, which compete with American good
              public schools. There are public college and universities, but they are
              "reserved" to whoever attended k-12 private schools. In order to be accepted
              the students are tested (math, chemistry, physic, languages, biology, etc)
              by colleges and universities. Students with the best results are accepted.
              In the end, whoever attended the best k-12 schools (private) is accepted in
              public (free) college/university. There are no other means to be accepted
              (reference letter, legacy, affirmative action, background, etc).

              5.
              What is the literacy rate for the country? The
              interviewee may not know the answer to this question, but you can find this
              information by looking at CountryWatch.com database available at Franklin
              University's library Web site.

              6.
              How is garbage
              collection dealt with?
              Daily.

              7.
              What is the normal dress for men and women?
              Occidental. Bathing suit is more liberal than American. It is not uncommon
              to see men wearing Speedos.

              8.
              What foods, if any, are generally not eaten or possibly
              considered taboo?

              Occidental food, rice, bean, meat, vegetable. Brazilians do not rats, cats,
              dogs, snakes or any exotic animal.

              9.
              Are there gestures or movements that would not be
              acceptable in polite society?

              The American OK sign, may be misinterpreted as "F. YOU".

              10. Is
              it acceptable to bargain for goods at department stores or at markets?

              It is like in the US. You don't bargain at Sears, but you do in a flea
              market.

              11. How
              do people spend their leisure time? What kinds of leisure activities do they
              participate in?

              It depends on the region. Beaches, fishing, soccer (big time), clubs,
              shopping, movies.

              12. What
              are normal work hours? Are most stores open on weekends? What days might
              they
              be closed?

              Usually Brazilians work 40hours week. The labor Law allows up to 44
              hours/week without overtime. Overtime is very expensive for the employer.
              Shopping malls open on Saturdays and sometimes on Sundays. There are plenty
              of 24-hour stores, restaurants and supermarkets.

              13. What
              are the important holidays? Are there special observances of these holidays?

              Not really.

              14. Where
              and how do people get married? What is the average marriage age? Is it
              acceptable not to get married? What is the attitude toward divorce?
              It varies. Pretty much like in the US.

              15. What
              is the national language of the country? Are other languages spoken?
              Portuguese. No. Well, unless you are an Indian. Brazilian Constitution
              really protects Indian tribes. They are a very small minority, but they live
              today as they used to live centuries ago.

              16. What
              is the principal religion(s) of the country? What are the basic beliefs or
              doctrines of these religions?

              Catholic

              One interesting datum about Brazil is that families have an average of less
              the two kids.

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 29, 2007
                Hi!

                I think your best bet is do a research on your own. There are lots of angry brazilians out there, that were poor and hates their country because they never has any opportunities there, for that they talk bad about were they came from and they will degenerate their country no matter what. I don't have much respect for these.
                I will help you a bit, I have a friend who is brazilian and a High-School teacher in Arizona, I think he will be more suitable to answer your questions. He's name is Marcelo and his email is capashow@... he went to USP (university of Sao Paulo), is a public university and I don;t think we went to a private school. He works for the "Esperanza Community Collegial Academy" and he teaches Biology, Earth Science, Chemistry and Physics. So I am sure he can help you.

                About the uniform, ALL private schools wears Uniform. I went to a private school "Sao Jose Catholic School" for girls only in the 80's. I don't know if they are mix now, but also Arquideocezano used to be for boys only. My son's school is a German private school " Porto Seguro" and he does wear uniform, he's school is mix.
                I am now in Korea for 1 year tour and here in Seoul there is a huge Medical University for women only, so I don;t understand the ordeal with it, if I had a daugther I would put her in a private school for girls only like I went. (Just to be sure she wouldn't to be poplular...) I believe in non-mixed and private schools.

                I hope you can find the real answer for your homework.
                email Marcelo, he will help you! Good Luck!!!
                Ana

              • Steve Kennel
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 30, 2007
                  All my cousins went to public schools and them all got college degrees, actually the young one is attendinf Anhembi Morumbi University in Sao Paulo, studing Veterinary. I don't know how the school system is now, but back in the time, it was fine!

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 30, 2007
                    Ana, I think this is going beyond the point, but anyway. When I said that not ALL private schools require uniform I was talking about private schools, not CATHOLIC private schools. Objetivo, for example, which is big in Brazil, does not. See pictures at http://www.objetivo.br/galeria/album.asp?codnoticia=1476

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 30, 2007
                      Thanks for your help! And, yeah, I would have preferred doing the research on my own (since it is my homework after all!) but the assignment was supposed to be an actual, face-to-face interview. Being in the remote region I am in, there are no people here that are from Brazil. My teacher was the one who told me to do an internet interview. He told me to find someone by posting like that. I actually didn't think I would get as many responses as I did! lol So I'm all set now, thankfully :)
                      Jenn

                      I will help you a bit, I have a friend who is brazilian and a High-School teacher in Arizona, I think he will be more suitable to answer your questions. He's name is Marcelo and his email is capashow@hotmail. com he went to USP (university of Sao Paulo), is a public university and I don;t think we went to a private school. He works for the "Esperanza Community Collegial Academy" and he teaches Biology, Earth Science, Chemistry and Physics. So I am sure he can help you.

                      About the uniform, ALL private schools wears Uniform. I went to a private school "Sao Jose Catholic School" for girls only in the 80's. I don't know if they are mix now, but also Arquideocezano used to be for boys only. My son's school is a German private school " Porto Seguro" and he does wear uniform, he's school is mix.

                      I am now in Korea for 1 year tour and here in Seoul there is a huge Medical University for women only, so I don;t understand the ordeal with it, if I had a daugther I would put her in a private school for girls only like I went. (Just to be sure she wouldn't to be poplular...) I believe in non-mixed and private schools.

                      I hope you can find the real answer for your homework.

                      email Marcelo, he will help you! Good Luck!!!

                      Ana

                      Do You Yahoo!?

                      http://mail. yahoo.com

                      <!--

                      #ygrp-mkp{
                      #ygrp-mkp hr{
                      border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                      #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                      #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                      margin-bottom:10px;}
                      #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                      padding:0 0;}
                      #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                      color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                      -->

                      <!--

                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                      font-family:Arial;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                      margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                      -->

                      <!--

                      #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                      #ygrp-text{
                      font-family:Georgia;
                      }
                      #ygrp-text p{
                      margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                      #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                      font-family:Arial;
                      clear:both;}
                      #ygrp-vitnav{
                      #ygrp-vitnav a{
                      padding:0 1px;}
                      #ygrp-actbar{
                      #ygrp-actbar .left{
                      float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                      .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                      #ygrp-grft{
                      #ygrp-ft{
                      padding:5px 0;
                      }
                      #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                      padding-bottom:10px;}

                      #ygrp-vital{
                      #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                      #ygrp-vital ul{
                      padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                      #ygrp-vital ul li{
                      }
                      #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                      #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                      font-weight:bold;}
                      #ygrp-vital a{
                      text-decoration:none;}

                      #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                      text-decoration:underline;}

                      #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                      color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                      padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                      #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                      text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                      padding:8px 0;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                      text-decoration:none;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                      text-decoration:underline;}
                      #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                      margin:0;}
                      o{font-size:0;}
                      .MsoNormal{
                      margin:0 0 0 0;}
                      #ygrp-text tt{
                      font-size:120%;}
                      blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                      .replbq{margin:4;}
                      -->

                    • Vanderli Richeson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 30, 2007
                        Hi Ana,

                        It's so sad to read what you wrote about your own people,
                        I am Brazilian, living in USA, but I AM SO PROUD TO BE A BRAZILIAN,
                        I AM SO PROUD OF MY COUNTRY, BRASIL, I KNOW A LOT OF BRAZILIAN
                        FAMILIES HERE, and all of them feels the someway. We can find bad
                        and unhappy people anywhere.
                        Brazilian people are very friendly, and they will do whatever they
                        can to help.

                        Vanderli Richeson

                        > I think your best bet is do a research on your own. There are
                        lots of angry brazilians out there, that were poor and hates their
                        country because they never has any opportunities there, for that they
                        talk bad about were they came from and they will degenerate their
                        country no matter what. I don't have much respect for these.

                        > I will help you a bit, I have a friend who is brazilian and a
                        High-School teacher in Arizona, I think he will be more suitable to
                        answer your questions. He's name is Marcelo and his email is
                        capashow@hotmail. com he went to USP (university of Sao Paulo), is a
                        public university and I don;t think we went to a private school. He
                        works for the "Esperanza Community Collegial Academy" and he teaches
                        Biology, Earth Science, Chemistry and Physics. So I am sure he can
                        help you.

                        > About the uniform, ALL private schools wears Uniform. I went to a
                        private school "Sao Jose Catholic School" for girls only in the 80's.
                        I don't know if they are mix now, but also Arquideocezano used to be
                        for boys only. My son's school is a German private school " Porto
                        Seguro" and he does wear uniform, he's school is mix.

                        > I am now in Korea for 1 year tour and here in Seoul there is a
                        huge Medical University for women only, so I don;t understand the
                        ordeal with it, if I had a daugther I would put her in a private
                        school for girls only like I went. (Just to be sure she wouldn't to
                        be poplular...) I believe in non-mixed and private schools.

                        > I hope you can find the real answer for your homework.
                        >
                        > email Marcelo, he will help you! Good Luck!!!
                        >
                        > Ana

                      • Steve Kennel
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 30, 2007
                          I don't know anything about Objetivo. I had some friends who went there and I never like it. There are MANY private schools in Brazil who are not Catholic and wears uniforms. My son goes to Porto Seguro and we wears uniform. Actually he was to come to the States, since he is half american, for school, and we decided that he would go to school in Brazil because the teaching was so mauch better. He will be coming to College here, UCLA. You should continue your research and you will find all the private schools in Brasil and their dress codes.
                          Now, my friend have her kids going to a CATHOLIC school in palo Alto, CA and they don't wear uniforms!

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 30, 2007
                            No worries, I hope you got it all straight. I answer it to the best of my acknowledge. I hope it helped you and you a good note.
                            Good Luck!
                            Ana.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 31, 2007
                              This is getting out of control. I don't want any of you emailing me anymore, please!

                              Vanderli Richeson <vanderliricheson@...> wrote: Hi Ana,

                              It's so sad to read what you wrote about your own people,
                              I am Brazilian, living in USA, but I AM SO PROUD TO BE A BRAZILIAN,
                              I AM SO PROUD OF MY COUNTRY, BRASIL, I KNOW A LOT OF BRAZILIAN
                              FAMILIES HERE, and all of them feels the someway. We can find bad
                              and unhappy people anywhere.
                              Brazilian people are very friendly, and they will do whatever they
                              can to help.

                              Vanderli Richeson

                              > I think your best bet is do a research on your own. There are
                              lots of angry brazilians out there, that were poor and hates their
                              country because they never has any opportunities there, for that they
                              talk bad about were they came from and they will degenerate their
                              country no matter what. I don't have much respect for these.

                              > I will help you a bit, I have a friend who is brazilian and a
                              High-School teacher in Arizona, I think he will be more suitable to
                              answer your questions. He's name is Marcelo and his email is
                              capashow@hotmail. com he went to USP (university of Sao Paulo), is a
                              public university and I don;t think we went to a private school. He
                              works for the "Esperanza Community Collegial Academy" and he teaches
                              Biology, Earth Science, Chemistry and Physics. So I am sure he can
                              help you.

                              > About the uniform, ALL private schools wears Uniform. I went to a
                              private school "Sao Jose Catholic School" for girls only in the 80's.
                              I don't know if they are mix now, but also Arquideocezano used to be
                              for boys only. My son's school is a German private school " Porto
                              Seguro" and he does wear uniform, he's school is mix.

                              > I am now in Korea for 1 year tour and here in Seoul there is a
                              huge Medical University for women only, so I don;t understand the
                              ordeal with it, if I had a daugther I would put her in a private
                              school for girls only like I went. (Just to be sure she wouldn't to
                              be poplular...) I believe in non-mixed and private schools.

                              > I hope you can find the real answer for your homework.
                              >
                              > email Marcelo, he will help you! Good Luck!!!
                              >
                              > Ana

                            • jrbnarizona
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 31, 2007
                                I agree, with exception of catholic schools, not all private schools
                                require uniforms.

                                I would however like to convey that as a Brazilian citizen living
                                outside Brazil for years, I do not agree with the assertion that
                                there are "Angry Brazilians that are poor and hate their country
                                because they never had any opportunity there". It seems to me that
                                what you meant to say is the fact that there are many Brazilains that
                                are not HAPPY with the all the corruption that is going on in the
                                country, starting by the high levels of corruption in federal
                                government, all the poverty and inequities that, undoubtedly, are
                                strong characteristics of Brazil.

                                I guess there is a huge difference between "Angry Brazilians that are
                                poor and hate their country because they never had any opportunity
                                there", and Brazilians that are not happy with what is going on in
                                the country. It absolutely does not mean that those "Unhappy
                                Brazilians" hate their country and want to talk bad things about were
                                they come from.

                                It is just like many other countries in the world where there are
                                many citzens that do not agree with what`s going on in their country,
                                but it does not mean they hate their country and they just want to
                                talk bad about their country. Obviously you cannot deny the reality
                                and state that Brazil is the most wonderful country in the world.

                                The reality is very clear ! Unfortunately, Brazil is one of the most
                                corrupt countries in the world, with a very adverse social context
                                for Brazilians.

                                While it is sad that there is a huge lack of opportunity to grow in
                                Brazil, you cannot blame those Brazilians who have found the
                                opportunity to grow in other countries, and have left the country. I
                                guess you would do the same if you were wearing their shoes, wouldn`t
                                you?

                                Now to state that those brazilains hate their country and just want
                                to talk bad about the country is a little bit a misleading
                                assertion.