Re: The first 5 days in Florianopolis Brazil

  • nationalwholesale
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 31, 2006
      --Welcome to Brasil Samone
      by the way you will find that Brasil is spelled with an S here and
      everywhere else with a Z
      also if you flush the paper down the toilet you may get a surprise lol
      I an an American from Florida living here in Rio De Janeiro
      been coming to Brasil fo 16 years now live here permenently
      you will find the people here very friendly and if they stare its
      just because they are fasinated by u being an American here in Brasil
      so just smile and they will all smile back thats a guarentee.
      enjoy the bch and the cold beer but dont forget your studies most
      people here dont work keep that in mindand it is not that they dont
      want to its just not enough jobs also the pay is terrible compared to
      working in the USA
      anyway enjoy your time here in this wonderful country also if you
      make it to Rio My wife speaks english as well and would love to meet
      an American teenager lol she speaks to my daughter on the phone and
      is thrilled by it I think it is funny ,but you will find that people
      will react to you that way here , you will be like a movie star
      Eric in Bangu

      - In brazilsjoint@yahoogroups.com, "campbells88" <campbells88@...>
      wrote:

      > HElllo ALL!! My name is Samone and I am 17 years old and I am a
      foreign
      > exchange student studying in Floridanopolis, S.C. The city is very
      > beautiful and the beaches are Gorgeous, also there are many
      beautiful
      > people here. I am learning to adapt and I know it will take time to
      > completely get use to being in brazil, but i am a patient girl and
      I am
      > willing to wait. Ummm a little about brazil is... well the roads
      are
      > bumpy and all the people have road rage. lol i make sure i wear a
      seat
      > belt when i am in the car, lol also the toilets are diffrent, there
      is
      > a button on the wall u push to make is flush. lol it is very
      strange.
      > It aslo has other flaws but for the most part it is a nice city. I
      > arrived on the 27th of July ( a thursday), and by the 30th i had
      been
      > to 5 partys lol. lots of fun, lots of people. Not a bad place.
      Anyway,
      > i will write again about Brazil. I have to go to my brazilian home
      now.
      > lol in a rush, no time spell chek. ttyl! ciao

    • Broad Mind
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi all
        Myself Bijou, I am 34 years old, currently live in San Franscisco California, I am Indian by Nationality and always loved Brasil and fasinated about After 7 years in united states I have never felt myself home here.
        I am proffesional IT guy with 14 years of experience in Information Technology. Unfotunatly i dont speak portuguese.
        Now coming to the point, I would love to move to Brazil and Find a desent Job which suite my proffesion. I really dont know where to start from...

        People might think Why Brasil.... I just have to say.... I LOVE IT. I have been there for vacation 2 times...

        Can some one help me with some leads for the same Or you think that my dreams to move to Brazil is not worth it.
        Language is a definate problem which I am willing to take it up as my first step to break through.

        Thanks
        Regards
        Bijou

      • nationalwholesale
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
          --well the only decent job you will get here is with an american
          company with a branch here
          hiring of for non brasilians is very rare for a brasilian company
          eric in bangu

          - In brazilsjoint@yahoogroups.com, Broad Mind <lets_2_smile@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi all
          > Myself Bijou, I am 34 years old, currently live in San Franscisco
          California, I am Indian by Nationality and always loved Brasil and
          fasinated about After 7 years in united states I have never felt
          myself home here.
          > I am proffesional IT guy with 14 years of experience in
          Information Technology. Unfotunatly i dont speak portuguese.
          > Now coming to the point, I would love to move to Brazil and Find
          a desent Job which suite my proffesion. I really dont know where to
          start from...

          > People might think Why Brasil.... I just have to say.... I LOVE
          IT. I have been there for vacation 2 times...

          > Can some one help me with some leads for the same Or you think
          that my dreams to move to Brazil is not worth it.
          > Language is a definate problem which I am willing to take it up
          as my first step to break through.

          > Thanks
          > Regards
          > Bijou

        • andetur
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 3, 2006
            Eric,

            'Rare' isn´t the word .... working for a Brazilian company is
            impossible unless you are the owner. No Brazilian company will go
            through the necessary 'red tape' nor assume responsibility for a
            foreignor when there are thousands of qualified Brazilians unemployed.

            The company has to prove to the Ministry of Labor that 'there is no
            qualified Brazilian available qualified to do the job' ....

            Donald
          • Broad Mind
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2006
              Thanks Eric and Donald
              Hmmm unfortunatly its not very encouraging. I will still try to work out some oppurtunities through other buisness sources. My only hopes is that I do have specialization in Information Technology and a Masters in Computer Science. Maybe I got my hopes a bit high with those.

              Regards
              Biju

              andetur <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              Eric,

              'Rare' isn´t the word .... working for a Brazilian company is
              impossible unless you are the owner. No Brazilian company will go
              through the necessary 'red tape' nor assume responsibility for a
              foreignor when there are thousands of qualified Brazilians unemployed.

              The company has to prove to the Ministry of Labor that 'there is no
              qualified Brazilian available qualified to do the job' ....

              Donald

            • roselenedga
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2006
                -I dont think it is so hard. You can look for research institutes,
                they have agreements with the federal governement and so, they can
                even share costs with trips and hotels.
                You would have to look for schoolars and Universities rather than
                private companies, I guess.
                I have seen foreigners doing that before! Good luck!

                wrote:

                > Thanks Eric and Donald
                > Hmmm unfortunatly its not very encouraging. I will still try to
                work out some oppurtunities through other buisness sources. My only
                hopes is that I do have specialization in Information Technology and
                a Masters in Computer Science. Maybe I got my hopes a bit high with
                those.

                > Regards
                > Biju
                >
                > andetur <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                > Eric,
                >
                > 'Rare' isn´t the word .... working for a Brazilian company is
                > impossible unless you are the owner. No Brazilian company will go
                > through the necessary 'red tape' nor assume responsibility for a
                > foreignor when there are thousands of qualified Brazilians
                unemployed.

                > The company has to prove to the Ministry of Labor that 'there is no
                > qualified Brazilian available qualified to do the job' ....
                >
                > Donald

              • markbures
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 4, 2006
                  That's not completely true Donald. It depends a lot on the industry
                  and skill level. In some cases, foreigners can even be more valued
                  than Brazilians. It also depends on the city and company. I believe
                  the best city for opportunities for foreigners would be Sao Paulo,
                  maybe followed by Rio. I was hired by Telefonica there as a foreigner
                  (however, I was already working locally for Boston Consulting Group)
                  and subsequently by Telecom Italia in Rio. In both cases, yes, I was
                  working for a "foreign" company in Brazil, but I was hired directly in
                  Brazil, not brought from abroad by some HQ.

                  I have had a few friends move to Brazil and get local jobs. You have
                  to be very flexible at the start though, considering even something
                  less than ideal to at least get local work experience before looking
                  for something better.

                  As foreigners looking to be local hires, yes, it is not easy, as you
                  are very different. And they will be suspicious - are you coming to
                  stay, live and work or will you be gone in a few years? You will be
                  somewhat less questioned at a foreign multinational, but there can be
                  hiccups there, too - they often expect foreigners to be sent to them
                  as expats.

                  At any rate, if you come looking to be a local hire, I suggest:
                  * Have a good story about your commitment to stay for a while and some
                  way of "proving" it if possible
                  * Consider the multinationals first, especially the foreign ones, or
                  very small companies that might even hire you "off the books" (thus
                  getting you at least some local cred for work experience)

                  Mark
                • Felicien Kadiata Lota
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 4, 2006
                    Hi!

                    Donald is right at 98%. I was in Brazil for the first time last June. I speak fluently Portuguese and French beside English because I studied in a French speaking country and I lived also in Angola where Portuguese is spoken before Coming to USA.
                    I am now USA citizen by naturalization. I studied in this country and I graduated from two universities( from University of Minnesota Duluth in Electrical and Computer Engineering and from University of Washington in Computing and Software systems). So, I can offer also my advise.
                    It's hard, extremely hard to get a job in Brazil as a foreigner. I talked to too many Brazilians when I was there. I met also foreigners who live there. You have to show that there is no any Brazilian who has your competencies. And even if you get a job, how much are you going to be paid. The starting salary for an engineer is approximately 1000 dollars and for physician is 2000 dollars. The Brazilian population is not highly educated. The Brazilian statistics show that only 3% out of 100% who start elementary school end up at University. Unlike in USA, It is very hard for Brazilians to go to the Universities. However, given the fact that Brazilians are approaching two hundred thousands millions, you will still find many people who attended colleges or Universities. Some of those people are even forced to work in stores because the unemployment is so high.
                    One of the things people (Brazilians and foreigners) complain about Brazil is the administration. People in administration tend to make everything very hard and complicated. For example, if you want to get married to the Brazilian girl and you are a US citizen, the best thing to do will be to bring her with fiance visa and get married in USA. If you are planning a wedding in Brazil, you will go through a lot of headaches before she can come here.
                    Beside that, Brazil as a country is wonderful. Brazilians are among the friendliest people on earth. They are very easy to talk to. Considering this, if you want to get a real picture of Brazil, go there first for visit and talk to people. I am giving you a link. This Guy, John, lives in Fortaleza the capital city of the state of Ceara. He is an American and very honest guy. Read his article, you can learn something from that.
                    The article can be found here: http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/72/Life_In_Fortaleza_Brazil.html
                    If you have personal question, you can email me
                    Hope this help.
                    Felix.
                    feli_feliciano@...

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 4, 2006
                      Thanks Mark & Roselenedga.

                      I have been trying to apply through varian Inoformation technology companies. Hopefully I get to go on a project to brazil from a company in US. Then i can have the best of the world, Payed in $$$ and the oppurtunity to live in Brazil for some time to find out if i am comfortable and also look out for local jobs.
                      I was in SAO PAULO last year April and made some good proffesional contacts in my proffesion, I have to rebuild those contact and try too..

                      Hopefully there is some light.
                      Thanks again
                      Biju

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 6, 2006
                        This "requirement" about having to prove that you have qualifications
                        that can not be matched by a Brazilian should not be blown out of
                        proportion. In practice, from what I have seen, it is a formality
                        that is addressed in the visa application. From what I have heard
                        from foreign friends working in the US, the same "requirement" exists
                        in the US, too. Again, your ability to deal with this and a number of
                        other issues depends on the industry, your skills, etc.

                        In terms of salary, well, hello, what are people expecting from a
                        country with a GDP per capita of a few thousand dollars??? If you
                        plan to come to Brazil because you expect to get a high-paying job,
                        get rich and go back to retire in the US you are fooling yourself.
                        However, if you do get a decent-paying job you may find that you can
                        live a pretty good life since the cost of living can be low (depends
                        on what you spend your money on).
                      • bryant bransford