Re: [brahmoconference] Happy Maghotsava

  • Malay Sanyal
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 13, 2010
      Dear Mr Basu,

      After reading your lineage, it is now apparent to me why you are so confused in your Brahmoism. I trust my comments / observations below shall be of use in your sermons.

      1) Unlike other "revealed" religions, Brahmoism's core (fundamental) beliefs are completely settled in a legal document ("deed")  which has never been denied or challenged by any Brahmo. I am referring of course to our "Trust Deed of 1830" It is therefore distressing for those of us who live by these principles (True / Anusthanic Brahmos) to be be informed that i) Fundamental Principles get modified over the years/ centuries through a process of "Chinese Whispers", ii) .That a thousand different versions of Brahmoism can be conjured up and publicised without any harm resulting from it. In the face of the 1830 Trust Deed, such modifications are not acceptable to us under any circumstances and we do not hesitate to denounce those "Brahmos" who deviate from these principles as "False Brahmos".

      2) The first requirement of Brahmoism therefore is the absolute belief in our trust principles. Being a member of a Samaj is not enough, for not every Samaj member is a "Brahmo". The Brahmo Year-book of 1880 contained this little nugget of wisdom "It is only when the permanent residents are thoroughly in earnest, that a Somaj really takes root in a given locality, and the floating religiosity of the liberal Indian develops into the fixed principles of .the true Brahmo" which bears repeating.

      3) Conflict is vital for survival of a species / group. A society based solely on Love (or fresh air) is sterile and doomed to die out. To work together (and to receive MahaAcharya's wisdom eventually) all those who claim to be Brahmos must first completely accept the True"Brahmo Dharma Beej" (given below) which constitutes the core of Adi Dharm and abjure all other versions.

      Anusthanic (Adi Brahmo) version:
      # There is only One "Supreme Spirit", Author and Preserver of Existence.
      #
      There is no salvation and no way to achieve it.
      #
      There is no scripture, revelation, creation, prophet, priest or teacher to be revered.
      #
      There is no distinction.

      Ananusthanic (Sadharan) version
      # There is always Infinite Singularity - immanent and transcendant Singular Author and Preserver of Existence
      # Being is created from Singularity. Being is renewed to Singularity. Being exists to be one (again) with Loving Singularity.
      # Respect all creations and beings but never venerate them for only Singularity can be loved.
      # Knowledge of pure Conscience is the One ruler of Existence with no symbol or intermediary.

      Based on these principles, MahaAcharya's foresight and planning enabled the foot soldiers of Adi Dharm to make tremendous strides in Upper India. Today the singular fact that in 2001 7.83 million Indians declared their belief in our principles is sufficient to silence even the most vocal of our critics and demonstrate the power of our faith. Had partition not resulted, our numbers would have been much higher today.

      Warmly
      Dr. Malay Sanyal

      --- In brahmoconferenceorg@yahoogroups.com, Ashis Basu <ashis@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > 2.     My father told us that we are Members of Sadharan Bramho Samaj. So I guess I have roots there.
      >
      > 3.     My Mother was from Navabidhan. So I have roots there also.
      >
      > 4.     In my Youth, I generally attended Sammilan Samaj, since most relatives and I lived in South Calcutta. So I have roots there also.
      >
      > 5.     I was born in Delhi and have lived in Shillong, Calcutta and Mumbai. Except Calcutta, the congregations at the other places consisted of a mix from all 3 Samajes. All Samajes outside Bengal can be termed Sammilan Samajes.
      >
      > Recently, I was "accused" of sermonising exclusively to "Navabidhanis" in Mumbai. This is  only partly true. Most of those who attend Sunday sermons are Sindhi Brahmos (around 60-70) whose ancestors were influenced by Keshub Chandra Sen. There are also over 100 Bengali Brahmos (a mix of Sadharan & navabidhanis) who are visible only during Maghotsav (hence nick named "Maghatsav Brahmos". If more Bengali Brahmos were to attend Sunday Sermons, I would probably not be an "accused". At our last Maghotsav on 31 Jan 2010, where I had conducted the Upasana, the congregation consisted of around 175 Brahmos (Sadharan and Navabidhan).
      >
      > Regarding schism in Brahmo Samaj, I believe that every religious belief undergoes changes in interpretation over the years. It is natural for Teachers however sincere - to have different opinions. Sometimes there are ego problems. Otherwise there would have been a single Christian church, a single Islamic entity, not multiple ones. Mahathir bin Mohammad, Former Prime Minister of Malaysia, had written an article in Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan's Journal on 15 January 2006. - ISLAM'S FORSAKEN RENAISSANCE. Excerpts from the  article may be of interest : “Children often play a game where they sit in a circle. One whispers something to his neighbour, who then whispers that information to the next child, and so on, around the circle. By the time the last child whispers the information to the first, it is totally different from what was originally said! Something like this seems to have happened within Islam. The Prophet Muhammad brought one -- and only one religion. Yet today we have perhaps a thousand religions claiming to be Islam!
      >
      > If ego hassles (and honest differences) of some of our ancestors had not played an important part in fragmenting the Brahmo samaj, we would probably be a powerful force today. Is it conceivable that the different fractions can "agree to disagree" and still work together. Otherwise we are on the road to committing "harakiri". I believe that in today's violent world, Brahmo Samaj has a very noble message which needs to be widely publicised, to make this a better place for our progeny. This is my earnest request to all.

    • tapesh majumdar
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 13, 2010
        Dear Mr. Biswajit Datta ,

        Please explain why you are putting these questions to me. High horses,
        ivory towers, snootiness and hauteur have no space in my life. I am a
        member of this group of Brahmos because I contacted Sarbajit after
        receiving several emails asking for donations for the Sadharan Bramho
        Samj widow fund. Luckily the Brahmo Council website warned me against
        them and I could correlate it to the Rajah's wishes. So many thanks
        again to Brahmo Council and Sarbajit for saving me from getting
        cheated.

        Tapesh Majumdar

        On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 7:03 AM, biswajit dutta
        <bis_dutta2000@...> wrote:

        > Dear Mr . Tapesh Majumdar ,
        > I don't understand who has given a microscopic minority mostly crying hoarse on the internet & hardly seen participating in any Samaj function the right to be the arbiter of Brahmo destiny ? What purity of memetic genoplasm you talk about ? So what happens in case of cross fertilisation ? An inferior breed of Brahmo offspring ? Come off it Mr. Majumdar ! Let us come out of our ivory towers , climb down from our high horses , shed our snootiness , abandon our hauteur & do something for the Brahmo Samaj on the ground . Pontificating over the net is not enough . Let us applaud the foot soldiers who visit the Samajes regularly , undertake hard work selflessly , attend the conferences , work for a united Brahmo voice & have over the years made such artificial distinctions between Brahmos irrelevant . It is fatuous in this modern day & age to persist with the Brahmo caste system which you are so keen to persist with(i.e. some Brahmos being more equal than the others) . The Brahmo Samaj shall go to extinction during this century not because of cross fertilisation & in breeding but due to such arm chair pompous Brahmos paralysed into inaction pondering about "weightier"(???) issues like purity of their Brahmo lineage .
        > Yours Sincerely
        > Biswajit Dutta

      • Saurav Brahmo
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 18, 2010
          Dear Sarbajit ,

          The photos of maghotsav at the delhi somaj show the setup for feasting. Did nobody protest that this offends the trust clause

          "that no eating or drinking (except such as shall be necessary by any accident for the preservation of life) feasting or rioting be permitted therein, or thereon,"

          In truth
          Saurav

          --- In brahmoconferenceorg@yahoogroups.com, "sarbajitr" <sroy1947@...> wrote:

          > Dear Biswajit,
          >
          > Miss Chakraborty was most discriminating when it came to expressing herself. Her vocal output was synchronised with the dubious bits of the sermons and the volume of her displeasure was perfectly calibrated to the degree of nonsense being propagated. Her bravura performance endeared her to the discriminating cognoscenti present who dissected it in detail later at Gupta Tea stall opposite our Samaj. God spoke that day.
          >
          > Some photographic images post Maghotsav 2010 at Delhi Brahmo Samaj  are available here:
          > http://brahmo.org/maghotsav-delhi-brahmo-samaj.html

        • sarbajitr
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 19, 2010
            Actually, the Delhi Brahmo Samaj has slowly started showings signs of improvement.

            1) The large life-sized portrait of the Rajah is no longer to be seen.

            2) After disapproval was voiced, Casio performances seem to have stopped. Some kirtan singers who spiced up their devotions with perscussive accompaniments were politely told that it is considered unBrahmic and so that practice seems to have stopped too.

            3) At the DBS, the contributory utsab 7 course lunch "lunch" is served (well after the prayers are concluded) by uniformed waiters with (clip-on) bow ties.

            I agree with you that we still have a long way to go. The way to achieve this is by educating our Maghotsav / tel-bhaaja brethren who labour under a delusion that Brahmoism means listening to sermons and singing away like good little Christians in congregation during festivals (and starving).

            Sarbajit

            --- In brahmoconferenceorg@yahoogroups.com, Saurav Brahmo <saurav@...> wrote:

            > Dear Sarbajit ,
            >
            > The photos of maghotsav at the delhi somaj show the setup for feasting. Did
            > nobody protest that this offends the trust clause
            >
            > "*that no eating or drinking (except such as shall be necessary by any
            > accident for the preservation of life) feasting or rioting be permitted
            > therein, or thereon,*"
            >
            > In truth
            > Saurav
            >
            > --- In brahmoconferenceorg@yahoogroups.com, "sarbajitr" <sroy1947@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear Biswajit,
            > >
            > > Miss Chakraborty was most discriminating when it came to expressing
            > herself. Her vocal output was synchronised with the dubious bits of the
            > sermons and the volume of her displeasure was perfectly calibrated to the
            > degree of nonsense being propagated. Her bravura performance endeared her to
            > the discriminating cognoscenti present who dissected it in detail later at
            > Gupta Tea stall opposite our Samaj. God spoke that day.
            > >
            > > Some photographic images post Maghotsav 2010 at Delhi Brahmo Samaj are
            > available here:
            > > http://brahmo.org/maghotsav-delhi-brahmo-samaj.html

          • biswajit dutta
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 19, 2010
              Dear Sarbajit ,
              The term fundamentalist can have two connotations :-
              a)Someone who strictly abides by the core or fundamentals - principles which are considered inalienable , inviolable & absolute .
              b)The other (less charitable one) , could mean an extremist or a fanatic who obviously out of tune with reality resist all manner of progressive ideas & change .

              Thankfully in the real Brahmo Samaj (of bricks) , the latter type dare not make themselves visible .For the sane & sensible shall fall on them like a ton of bricks at the mere hint of lunatic ideas . Thanks Param Brahma for making our Brahmo Samaj a melting pot of innovative & rational thinking , historically . An instrument of deep contemplation as well as practical benevolence & social change .

              The fringe who have been routed/marginalized in the Samajes(they are mortally scared of physically attending Samaj functions & fear even their own shadows) & who subscribe to all manner of voodoo principles , sit with a long list of donts , do not have any constructive agenda & are mentally stuck in 1830 (while the world passes them by) have unfortunately taken refuge in the virtual Brahmo world(of clicks) . The cyberspace is being dominated by such squatters on Brahmo domain names . If you search "Brahmo/Brahmo Samaj" etc. on the net , all routes lead to the crazy opinions of the isolated few , opinions that grossly distort Brahmoism & mislead serious researchers .

              I am sure Sarbajit you also feel strongly on such issues . We for sure cannot allow mindsets that are in a time warp & worry silly about such triflings (eg. lunch served post Maghotsav service , donations for Samaj work , use of laptops/Casios etc.) to dictate our agenda . We need agents of change to resurrect the Brahmo Samaj , not obstacles . Let us counteract all such regressive forces & show them their rightful place . I am confident of your support . God bless you .
              Biswajit

              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 19, 2010
                Dear Biswajit

                I am glad to get your reaffirmation that you are as equally concerned with reviving Brahmoism (which for me does not equate to Brahmo Samaj) as I am.

                We must never forget that our 1830 Trust Deed is a legal document collectively drafted by some of the greatest minds India has ever produced. If you wish to label me as being a "fundamentalist" for insisting that actions claimed to be Brahmic must first prove itself on that Deed's touchstone then so be it. To me the Trust document is a INVIOLABLE living document that boldly proclaims the message of the Brahmo religion (ie. Brahmoism) to be as relevant today as it was in 1830. Unfortunately not many Brahmo Samajists (or Samajes) can abide by its simple principles - in turn I have no hesitation in not recognising (in 'brick' or 'click') such "False" Brahmos. As an aside, I concede that many of these False Brahmos (who I do not blame) are ignorant about the Trust Deed principles BECAUSE THERE IS A CONSPIRACY IN THE SAMAJES to suppress the original Trust Deed which would expose their own travesties.

                The other point on which I am resolutely a fundamentalist is on the CONSTRUCTIVE eradication of certain interpretations, books and commentaries on Brahmoism from our memes, and which have distorted pure Brahmoism to an extraordinary degree. To this end our Council (of which regrettably I am the public face till such time as the petty squabbling in Kolkata you referred to does not end) will publish Brahmic works in their original. Is it not a shame that today a young and enthusiastic person like Debanjan Ray cannot edit on Brahmoism on Wikipedia because he is immediately over-ruled by Christian and neo-Hindu zealots IN THE ABSENCE OF OUR OWN RELIABLE SOURCES. An academic scholar like Mr Shymal Dutta cannot conduct research because the old Brahmo records are kept out of his hands by zealots.

                Brahmos, hitherto safely cocooned by their annual pilgrimage to Samajes, richly deserve a good kick in the butt to rouse them from apathy and win back their good name. Till such time, Gresham's law will prevail in the information wars.

                I look forward to that glorious day when each and every person on this group (Brahmo, Hindu, Muslim, etc) agrees that notwithstanding his own religion he is ALSO a "Brahmo" FUNDAMENTALIST !!!!

                Sarbajit
                Do not search for God, he is "Unsearchable" (thus spake our founders through Trust).