article about 'The Graduate' mentions 'Braceface'

  • vegi_head
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2002
      'Braceface' is mentioned in this article about 'The Graduate'
      starring Kathleen Turner, Jason Biggs and Alicia Silverstone:

      Newsday.com

      Graduating to Broadway

      Mrs. Robinson of `The Graduate' is back, but Kathleen Turner
      aims to seduce the young man in her own way

      By Blake Green
      Staff Writer

      March 31, 2002

      -----

      (SNIP)

      "Alicia," says Turner, "is the lazy one," and the younger
      actress, the subject of pointed remarks when she gained weight around
      the time she portrayed Batgirl in 1997's "Batman and Robin,"
      sheepishly nods her head.

      But the excess weight has since melted away -- perhaps because of her
      strict vegan diet and busy schedule. As she says, "I just don't have
      any time. I made out a list of priorities, and sleep is No. 1."
      (Eating comes No. 2, and No. 3 is "hygiene," a comment that
      causes more eyebrow hikes and some friendly joshing about priorities
      from Biggs, who then confesses, "Sleep is big with me, too.")

      Silverstone has her own production company and last year began
      producing "Braceface," an animated series for cable television's
      Fox Family Network.

      (SNIP)

      -----

      (SNIP)

      Silverstone says she doesn't even remember the movie Elaine -- "if I
      ever even saw the movie" -- and when she was first offered the
      role, in the London production ("but after Kathleen had left"), she
      turned it down for that reason. "If I couldn't remember the image,
      why do it? But when they came to me again [for Broadway], I read it
      and realized that she was really interesting."

      Silverstone, who grew up in the San Francisco Bay area, has spent her
      entire career in film, so this role, she says, "has been a dream come
      true for me. I've always wanted to live in New York and either do a
      play or study acting, whatever came first."

      Johnson was not averse to having the 25-year-old help shape the role:
      Personally outspoken on the subjects of diet (her dogs also are
      vegans) and animal rights, Silverstone, as Elaine, has a line
      denigrating the hamburger Benjamin is devouring. It's not pure
      Silverstone, the actress quickly points out. "I'm obviously political
      about what we consume, but I wanted to make it something that Elaine,
      who's conscious about things in the world, would be passionate about
      at that time," she explains. "So I thought about starvation. My
      girl goes to Berkeley, so I watched a really good movie, `Berkeley in
      the '60s,' which was very helpful. It made me envious about how
      amazingly active all those people were."

      (SNIP)

      -----

      You can read the entire article on this page:

      http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/local/newyork/ny-
      etgrad0331.story?coll=ny-nyc-entertainment-headlines

      (YOU MAY HAVE TO COPY AND PASTE THE ENTIRE URL - IN TWO PARTS - INTO
      YOUR BROWSER, IN ORDER TO SEE THE ARTICLE)

      -----

      The article also appeared in the Los Angeles Times Calendar section:

      http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Calendar-X!
      ArticleDetail-55078,00.html