Listing Undertakers in the Plantation Period

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2009
      Does anyone want to take on a good project? This source (vol. 2) gives names of the
      people who came to Ireland as part of the plantation, including where the land was they
      were granted and what country they came from, and sometimes additional information.
      It's not in one of the many libraries local to me, but maybe is to someone interested in
      researching this? I'd like to record everything we can find in there about Bowes, Bowe,
      and other variants who came to Ireland during the Plantations. Let me know if you can
      help. I'm guessing there won't be too many entries once we get our hands on the book,
      but who knows?

      http://www.irishroots.com/id4055.htm

      ___
      Volume 2 - Names in the Land Grants.
      Itemized land grants to English, Scots, and Irish. Identity of the specific persons, location
      of lands, with historical commentary.

      (107 pages) 0-940134-44-6 Footnoted. The Land Grants in this work are taken from the
      Patent Rolls of the reign of James I and from the printed Ulster Inquisitions. The book is
      most importantly arranged with the following sections:

      Land Grants for the English (Undertakers), complete with names.
      Land Grants for the Scottish (Undertakers), complete with names
      Land Grants for the Servitors, complete with names
      Land Grants to the Native Irish, complete with names

      The names of specific persons and specific locations in the land grants is of immense
      interest to family researchers. The wealth of information in the footnotes brings daily
      history to life for us all. The land grants are of differing lengths, and one short example
      in Co. Tyrone follows:
      Grant to Neale OQuin, gent., Ballineloughy, one balliboe, containing 60 acres. Rent, 13 s.
      Important Notations We are not left with only the dry 'census' type information here.
      Take the example of Sir Richard Waldron, who is given with lands in the Precinct of
      Loughtee, in County Cavan. Below the listings of his lands we find footnotes telling us
      that Richard was the son of John Waldron, that he became a knight, that there is record
      of a petition from him in 1610, and that his son, Thomas Waldron came to live on the
      land there as well. This type of commentary is often given on families found in the
      records. (see index at end of listing)
      Name Changes We also find many notations on family names and the spelling of the
      same. Take the name Smelhome on the land record, which this book also tells us is
      found as Smailholme in Scotland, and as Smethorne in an inquisition in 1629. Take the
      name of 'Cooke', which was an alias of 'Gray' for one settler; and the name Calefield
      which was also spelled as Caulfield. Very helpful information if you are trying to trace
      someone in the family.
      ____

      Photocopies of the relevant pages would be great if possible. I may try to get through
      interlibrary loan, but I will be out of town for a while so I'm not sure I should order
      anything else with them.

      Cheers, Martha
    • Diane Bowe
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 27, 2009

        It shows up on alibris if anyone has the cash!!

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 27, 2009
          It's a long chance but similar information may be available via the National Archives in Kew, near London

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 28, 2009
            And that's $25 less than at the Irish Roots site! Yow.

            --- In bowesgenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Diane Bowe <dianebowe2002@...> wrote:

            > http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?
            binding=&mtype=&keyword=Conquest+of+Ireland%3A+An+Historical+Account+of+the+
            Plantation+in+Ulster++&hs.x=18&hs.y=14

            > It shows up on alibris if anyone has the cash!!

            Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at
            http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 28, 2009
              I couldnt' get it through my public library interlibrary loan because it doesn't circulate
              from the limited libraries in the US that have it. I'm going to try calling some public
              libraries and see if they'll look up the names for me and make copies for the cost of
              copies and postage. This source is our best bet for zeroing in on a comprehensive list of
              Bowes (and variants) who were undertakers. Here's what Irish Roots says about the
              volume and all the sources it relied on:

              ________

              Rare Manuscripts and State Papers
              The best source to inform serious researchers on this period that
              we have available is "The Conquest of Ireland: An Historical Account of
              the Plantation in Ireland". It is a rare work documenting the settlement,
              right down to the names of the old and new landholders.
              The author introduces his work as follows "The contents of this
              volume (vol. 1), may be described.. as a compilation from State Papers
              relating to the Plantation of Ulster… the Calendars of the Carew Manuscripts,
              and of other important collections of Irish State Papers". Before the Carew
              Manuscripts little was known of the seven year struggle (1595 - 1602). For a
              time before 1588 English rule was actually rather mysteriously popular, and
              Shane O'Neill was finally defeated in 1567 by the O'Donnells rather than the
              government."

              Wild Geese
              This period of time in Ireland created many `Wild Geese". Those fleeing
              Ireland for a time, perhaps vowing to return in triumph one day.
              This included the Irish nobility such as O'Neill and O'Donnell, as well as
              many who joined the armed forces of other countries as a result of exile
              from Ireland. The term `wild geese' has been used for several similar periods in Irish
              history.

              Sources
              The plantation records around these events were of such value and
              variety, that Hill prepared a history based upon and including these
              manuscripts. The records were taken from the Patent Rolls of the
              Period, the Inquisitions of Ulster, The Barony Maps of 1609, and other
              original sources. The publication of this history and those documents
              is of inestimable value to us today.

              http://www.irishroots.com/blog/?p=165

              Martha

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 7 4:42 PM
                I had a librarian research "The conquest of Ireland : an historical account of the
                plantation in Ulster at the commencement of the seventeenth century". Nothing there for
                our variants. Only covers Northern Ireland, so maybe Jeff's suggestion of looking at The
                National Archives in Kew is still a good idea for other parts of Ireland.