Re: Irish, Danish, or English?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
      --- In bowesvariantsdna@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <bowes2000@...> wrote:

      > My current research proposes a number of possible explanatons as to
      > the origins of the name Bowes in Ireland. Firstly the name itself,
      > has I think two basic origins:
      >
      > 1). The name derives from the ancient Gaelic Sept, O'Buadhaigh

      ____

      For the Yahoo! record, the origin of this is The Book of Munster, written in 1703 by Rev.
      Eugene O'Keeffe, Parish priest and Poet of Doneraile, North Cork. Within this book are the
      Eoghanacht Genealogies. Here you find:
      " Maolodhar son of Sealbach had five sons: Ealathach, from whom the Mac Ealathaigh
      family; Buadhach, from whom the Ui Buadaigh (O'Bogue); Cathalan, from whom Ui
      Chathalain Cahalane); Maoilin, from whom Ui Mhaoilin; and Croinin, from whom the Ui
      Chroinin family (O'Cronin)."
      Add to that MacLysaght, Edward, Surnames of Ireland, Dublin, 1985 indicated that the
      Irish surname Bowes is a synonym of Bogue, and thus it's been interpreted to mean that
      Bowes stems from Buadhach, son of Maolodhar. But it's interesting to note that the name
      Buadagh shows up multiple times in this genealogy (and they may all relate?). According
      to MacLysaght, Buadhach (buach) is a first name meaning "victorious." I am now realizing
      that a synonym doesn't equate to genetic connection. Bowes is synonymous with all
      Buadaghs, regardless of their ancient roots, since Bowes is the anglicization of the Gaelic
      word buadhagh for "victorious." So I think we have even less idea whether it's accurate to
      say that the Bowes surname in Ireland ever had its origin with the particular Buadhach,
      son of Maolodhar. On top of this, the Book of Munster was written approximately 1000
      years after Maolodhar's sons would have been born (calculating approximately 25 years
      per generation as does FTDNA and reading the rest of the text to factor in how many
      generations back were these births [we could double check this calculation]).
      I am racking my brain for where I first read about the Maolodhar connection. Can you
      think of a source for this? I may have drawn the wrong conclusion and then spread it
      myself. Yikes. I guess as long as we clear up our goofs that's the point of research.
      I think we should "zoom out" conceptually and say that anytime one of our project
      members matches another Irish surname, we should look for the two surnames
      originating in the same family in the ancient texts.
      I have posted the Eoghanacht Genealogies in Files > Research - Countries - Ireland
      _____

      > Or
      >
      > 2). The name is linked to the North Yorkshire English place-name
      > Bowes, which derives from the Saxon/Danish word Bogas meaning 'bow'
      > or 'bend'.

      ____________

      I've also posted a new document "Possible Origins of Bowes Surname" in Files. These are
      clips from various websites that offer some additional possibilities.
      It does seem, judging by Bowes surname concentration maps that the surname for a
      majority of Bowes lineages originates in Yorkshire, now Durham. See Links > Research -
      Countries - Worldwide > Ancestry.com - Family Facts - Bowes. There is a similar link there
      for Bowe. The general overlap between these maps may relate to your mention below that
      "s" was added to indicate "son of" among Saxon English. I never knew that.
      I have been in touch with a gal whose father was last name Bowes and hired someone to
      do an extensive genealogy for their family some decades back. It is six inches thick, hand
      written, and details their line and how it connects to the Bowes-Lyon line of the Queen
      Mother. Her family has 30 letters from the Queen Mother's father confirming the tie. This
      line, from the Yorkshire area, begins in William the Conqueror's time with Arcubus de
      Bowes who was said to have come over with William the Conqueror from Normandy (see
      "Who Really Came with [William] the Conqueror in 1066? " in Links > Research - Countries
      - England, which, for what the source may be worth, neither confirms nor rules this out).
      This is the only living line I know of that can confirm early ties with Yorkshire and the
      Queen Mother. It would be invaluable to the project to have a male representative join so
      we'd know that haplotype modal (unique DNA markers). But as luck (or not) would have it,
      she is unaware of any remaining male Boweses. Somewhere out there are distant cousins,
      and if she can find them she will help us connect with them. There is a website with more
      information about this line in Links > Research - Countries - England > "A Bowes Lineage
      from Yorkshire". Note that I have commented on that site's complete renunciation of
      William de Arcubus in "Possible Origins of Bowes Surname."
      __________

      > If the name is indeed of 'English/Danish/Saxon' roots then when and
      > how did it travel to Ireland?
      >
      > a) Possibly through the Norse/Danish incursions into Ireland during
      > the 9th Century? Well not entirely satisfactory as Vikings tended in
      > general to name their children after the Father, thus JorgenSON,
      > HaroldSON etc. They did occasionaly choose 'nick' names or adopt
      > place-names, but this was rarer. Besides, the Danes were amonsgt the
      > last in Europe to use surnames, a time after the Viking period in
      > Ireland.
      >
      > b) The name 'Bowes' could possibly have been adopted later by
      > Scandinavian settlers

      ____

      And they could have done this whether at the time of adopting a surname they'd
      maintained their "English" Scandinavian identity or enculturated into the Irish culture as so
      many of them did.
      ___

      > c) The adding of an 'S' to a name was a widespread practice used by
      > the Saxon-English to suggest 'son-of'. For example: RichardS EdwardS
      > etc. Could BoweS have a similar origin? If the name has English roots
      > at what stage did it move to Ireland?

      _______

      Interesting. Quite possible for some of us. Other times, Bowe and Bowes were just variants
      before the time that the spelling of last names became consistent, with many families
      using both names, or the family name being recorded differently by people such as census
      takers who just wrote what they heard. "What's your last name?" "We're Bowes." Is that
      plural of Bowe, son of Bowe, or Bowes? I think the more prominent English Bowes
      lineage(s) began as more of a place name (e.g., William de Arcubus/Bowes and Gerard de
      Bowes where "de" means "of" in French), but no doubt there were other lineages that
      began Bowe and added "s" to indicate `son of.".
      _______

      > Well we can to some degree rule out the 12th Century Norman invasion
      > of Ireland, the majority of whom were Norman and Welsh. Any English
      > component of this incursion were made up of troops from the West
      > Country of England, where the name 'Bowes' is not at all common.
      > Besides at this time many ordinary people had not taken up the
      > practice of distinct surnames.

      _____
      I think between the English William de Arcubus/Bowes story and Gerard de Bowes, both
      names of Norman construction, during and not long after the Norman conquest of
      England, we should keep this possibility on the table. Some could have come from England
      not necessarily as ordinary folk but as gentry. Many norman gentry fully acculturated into
      Irish ways.

      Also, I've read the Normans themselves (at least some of them) were originally Vikings
      who went to Normandy (by way of the Yorkshire area?). So participants in our project with
      Viking DNA can't yet rule out a Norman connection by way of Yorkshire or otherwise. At
      least one of the two Bowes and Bowe participants with the "Danish" haplotype (Haplotype
      I1 Group 3; Ken Nordvedt says were Danish) was from Kilkenny, the Norman seat of power
      (ENA Michael Bowes, b. 1791, Kilkenny).
      No firm conclusions in favor of Norman roots, but I'm inclined to leave the possibility quite
      open. Many of these Normans thoroughly integrated into Irish culture. I read the Statutes
      of Kilkenny were intended in part to bring the scallawags into line since they were a thorn
      in the Crown's side. I believe some researchers are keeping an eye out in case haplotypes
      representing the Norman vikings emerge. How can we get huge numbers of males in that
      part of France to get their DNA tested??? I hear Europeans are not so interested in genetic
      genealogy.
      ____

      > Where does that leave us? Well the name 'Bowes' would certainly have
      > developed and been adopted more numerously by the 16th Century and
      > one wonders if this was the period that heralded the arrival of the
      > English name 'Bowes' to Ireland during the Elizabethan, Cromwellian
      > and later plantations. Do we have any evidence to support this idea?

      ______

      Bingo for some Bowes lines. I am in touch with two Bowes males (not project participants
      at this time) whose paper trails match in Fermanagh. One found his 1600s family records
      in an Anglican church and they owned a farm. He surmises that they came as part of the
      plantations, having been given a land grant, and says, "The land grants were one of the
      first attempts to get British citizens (Anglicans loyal to the crown) to immigrate to Ireland,
      mostly in the
      north... They were basically trying to make sure that loyal Anglicans started to take over in
      Ireland and Canada." Note "loyal", as opposed to the not so loyal English who were said to
      be "more Irish than the Irish themselves."
      ______

      > Not specifically. However there is a fascinating clue in the
      > prevalance of the Bowe/Bowes name in Counties Wexford and Kilkenny,
      > both areas of particularly high English settlement from the Middle
      > Ages onwards.

      ____

      I didn't know that these were areas of particularly high English settlement. Good
      correspondence. If you have a source for that for future use as conclusions solidify that
      would be great.
      ___

      >With further DNA testing of Bowes from these areas it
      > could be possible to detect Danish/Saxon haplogroups, which may well
      > have arrived through English settlers.

      _____

      We have a start. As mentioned above: "At least one of the two Bowes and Bowe
      participants with the "Danish" haplotype (Haplotype I1 Group 3; Ken Nordvedt says were
      Danish) was from Kilkenny, the Norman seat of power (ENA Michael Bowes, b. 1791,
      Kilkenny)." Hopefully we'll get more participants from this area.
      _____

      > In conclusion we have two versions of the name, one Gaelic Irish, the
      > other Old-English/Danish, revealing which one we belong to is of
      > course a challenge being addressed by DNA testing.

      ______

      We should also keep in mind for theOne-Name and DNA studies that sometimes
      individuals changed surnames for a variety of life story reasons. An "illegitimate" son
      might end up with the name of the father that raised him. Many children were orphaned
      due to parents falling sick and other reasons and then integrated into another family ... so
      some people today may have the surname without having any genetic connection to these
      possible early origins. In addition, there may be early origins of the name (and its variants)
      for some genetic lines that simply arose somewhere else for some unknown reason.
      This variety of possibilities is why growing the DNA database is so important and
      interesting. Through the combination of paper trails and genetic markers we begin to piece
      a puzzle together. With so many separate genetic lines in our project already, I think it will
      be an interesting road ahead! It would not be surprising if some of us came as early Viking
      incursions of the 800s, others with Normans, others as part of the English plantations, and
      others from Gaelic origins in the O'Buadaigh sept or something else. Some of us will never
      know for sure. Others will refine their history with the help of the project.
      _____

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
        Sorry about the weird short lines and symbols. I drafted this in a word processor because I
        came back to it several times before finishing and didn't want to leave a Reply window open
        for days. Anyway, you can fix that by clicking on Show Message Options to the right under
        the date, then select Unwrap Lines. The symbol doohickeys are meaningless.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
          Vis the English origins, see also Links > Research - Countries - England > "The National
          Trust Bowes Data" site. It has interesting data showing Social Demographics, Geographical
          Spread and International Comparisons, including this for England (don't know the date):

          Mosaic type with highest index #: Upland Hill Farmers
          % of people with a more rural name: 38
          % of people with a more high-status name: 90

          Also shows some unusual ethnicities of forenames:

          Ethnicity of forenames BOWES
          British or unknown 99.29
          ---English or unknown 97.99
          ---Irish 0.76
          ---Scottish 0.37
          ---Welsh 0.17
          Jewish 0.02
          Balkan 0.00
          French 0.04
          German or Dutch 0.02
          Greek or Greek Cypriot 0.02
          Hispanic 0.09
          Hungarian 0.00
          Italian 0.04
          Nordic 0.02
          Polish or Czech 0.04
          Russian 0.06
          Black African 0.09
          North African 0.04
          Turkish or Turkish Cypriot 0.00
          Other Muslim 0.19
          Indian 0.09
          ---Hindi 0.02
          ---Sikh 0.00
          ---Other South Asian 0.00
          East Asian 0.04
        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
            Some initial thoughts on the very informative and helpful information
            researched by Martha. Firstly on those 'Bowes' of seeming Norman
            origins, associated with the village of Bowes in Durham England.

            Let's set the record straight, in all likelyhood there was in all
            probability never a William de Arcubus/Bowes, nor any army of five
            hundred archers defending Bowes castle, this exotic claim is widely
            stated as being the origins of the Bowes name (well, for the English
            Bowes at least).

            There seems to be much misunderstanding concerning the 'Bowes' name
            and its supposed Norman roots, particularly that of 'William Bowes/de
            Arcubus'. Supposed courageous ancestor whiose valourous deeds gave
            birth to the Bowes name (in England at least) The common internet
            perception that the English Bowes name derives from said William
            springs from the pages of 'A Genealogical and Heraldic History of the
            Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland by John Burke (itself a Norman
            name associated with Ireland) 1838'.

            This relates a tradition recorded in a MS. which belonged to the
            monastery of St. Mary, York, and related in the Bowes pedigree, that
            Alan Niger, Earl of Richmond, in defence of the honor against the men
            of Cumberland and Westmoreland, who rebelled against the Conqueror,
            and with Gospatric, Earl of Northumberland, adhered to the King of
            Scots, built for himself the tower of Bowes, and placed therein his
            cousin William with 500 archers, and gave him a shield with the arms
            of Brittany, and three bows over them; and a bundle of arrows for his
            crest, whence this William was afterwards called William de Arcubus.
            This done into English is Bowes (bows) which became the surname of
            his descendants.

            Unfortunately for the truth of the tradition, there appears to be a
            glaring anachronism. Crests and coats of arms did not come into use
            in England till long after the time of Earl Alan!

            From the researches of General Harrison among the Pipe Rolls, it
            appears that the castle was begun by Henry II. in 1171, and
            completely finished in 1187, at a cost of £353. Osbert, son of Fulco
            de Bowes, was one of the King's commissioners for superintending the
            erection of the castle, and this appears to have been the only
            connection the family had with the fortress.

            They were, however, possessed of lands in Bowes at an early period,
            but it is from this Fulco de Bowes, rather than the traditional
            William de Arcubus, that their pedigree is to be traced. Sir Adam de
            Bowes, fourth son of Stephen de Bowes, who was fourth in descent from
            the above Fulco, was a man "learned in the lawes," whom Edward III.,
            in 1331, appointed Chief Justice of the King's Bench.

            A request, can all of us interested in the Bowes name kindly lay to
            rest the fanciful legend of William de Arcubus, a tale of noble
            origins which may have been concocted to invest some heraldic and
            aristocratic gravitas and credibility to the contrived Bowes-Lyon
            line. More on that below.

            Moving on slightly. The Welsh Norman invasion of Ireland took place
            in 1169, a hundred year before that of another widely named Norman
            Bowes, Gerard de Bowes (1269). The army was comprised of Norman
            knights, lords, Welsh, Flemish and English from the West of England.
            Please note that the Bowes surname is exceedingly rare in those areas
            of England. It is however strongly linked historically with Durham,
            Yorkshire and Cumbria, a region far removed from West Wales from
            where the invasion of Ireland set sail.

            Moreover Bowes village (County Durham) itself was thought to have
            been constructed only in the 12th century, therefore its numbers
            would be few, and the Bowes surname not then adopted/given to its
            inhabitants. So-called noblemen are recorded in County Durham for
            that period, including Gerrard and Fulco, however were they, or
            other 'Bowes', engaged in the invasion then it is not unreasonable to
            consider the name would appear alongside other prominent Norman names
            which were recorded as being involved

            Antiquarian, William Camden claims the following list of people
            present at the invasion.

            Persons who collaborated with Dermot MacMorrogh during the 1169
            invasion:

            Maurice de Prendergast
            Robert Barr
            Meiler Meilerine
            Maurice Fitz-Gerald
            Robert FitzHenry
            Meiler FitzHenry
            Redmond nephew of Fitz-Stephen
            William Ferrand
            Miles de Cogan (Cogan)
            Gualter de Ridensford
            Gualter and Alexander sons of Maurice Fitz-Gerald
            William Notte
            Richard Caddell (Progenitor of the Blake family)
            Robert Fitz-Bernard
            Hugh Lacie
            William Fitz-Aldelm
            William Macarell
            Hemphrey Bohun
            Hugh De Gundevill
            Philip de Hasting
            Hugh Tirell
            Walter de Barât
            Henry de Barât
            David Walsh
            Robert Poer (First Poer le Poer in Ireland)
            Osbert de Herloter
            William de Bendenges
            Adam de Gernez
            Philip de Breos
            Griffin nephew of Fitz-Stephen
            Raulfe Fitz-Stephen
            Walter de Barry
            Philip Walsh
            Adam de Hereford
            Others claimed to have been present during the 1169 invasion:

            John Courcy
            Hugh Contilon
            Redmund Fitz-Hugh
            Miles of St. David's Walynus, a Welshman who came to Ireland with
            Maurice Fitzgerald
            Sir Robert Marmion, with Strongbow
            Those present during the invasion of Henry II in 1172:

            Richard de Tuite
            William de Wall
            Randolph FitzRalph, with FitzStephen
            Alice of Abervenny, with Raymond FitzWilliam Le Gros
            Richard de Cogan, with Strongbow
            Phillipe le Hore, with Strongbow
            Theobald Fitzwalter, with Henry II
            Robert de Bermingham, with Strongbow
            d'Evreux, with Strongbow
            Eustace Roger de Gernon, with Strongbow
            de la Chapelle (Supple)
            Gilbert d'Angulo and sons Jocelyn and Hostilo (Costello), with
            Strongbow.

            (William Camdens Britannia 1610)

            Final thoughts. The Bowes-Lyon issue is a red, if exotically royal,
            herring. The Queen Mother's earliest ancestor who bore the name
            being, John Bowes, 9th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne (July 17,
            1737 - March 7, 1776). The point being he was born as, John Lyon,
            only later adopting the name 'bowes'. In 1767 he married Mary Eleanor
            Bowes, and upon the request of the bride's father, assumed his wife's
            name. This change of name required an Act of Parliament. That family
            came not surprisingly from County Durham a stronghold of the Bowes
            name. This makes the Queen Mother's connections to the Bowes name
            somewhat distant and indirect, and certainly has no genuine meaning
            for those Bowes with English roots, who have perhaps been misinformed
            about the Bowes-Lyon connection.

            In conclusion I feel having read around this subject that the Bowes
            surname as it relates to Bowes Village in County Durham, has perhaps
            two lines of origin. One being the earlier Danish/Saxon places name,
            Bogas, the original name perhaps of the settlement there, the other
            deriving from two 12/13th Century names, Fulco and Gerrard de Bowes.
            I must state here however that I remain slightly unconvinced that the
            Bowes element of 'de Bowes' is Norman, thus I wonder if the name
            maybe some later corruption recided by chroniclers? What does appear
            clear though is that a number of Bowes are documented as have having
            held land in the area around, and possibly earlier, the time of the
            Norman conquest. This does not in itself mean they were of 'noble'
            origins or possessed of any formal titles. Could it be that the Bowes
            of Durham in question were Saxon landholders of some local status
            that either adopted or were given more 'Norman' sounding names? This
            would certainly explain the still, to my thinking at
            least,unconvincing assertion that Bowes is a Norman name.

            --- In bowesvariantsdna@yahoogroups.com, "mhbowes11" <mhbowes@...>

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
              It's always so fun and challenging to read your contributions! We have corresponded for some
              time via email and I apologize if I am bringing up some items that we may have hashed out
              before. Centralizing all the Bowes (and variants) related info will hopefully help
              (interpretations with sources, etc.). It may take me some time for me to reply again as I sift
              through everything and attend to other matters. So many facets to consider.

              Meanwhile, your information and interpretations help me improve the use of some Links and
              Files I post by helping me refine "editorial" comments below the titles to assist others in their
              interpretations of sources as they apply (or not) to the project. I will include *some* materials
              at the site that could be considered, let's say, not too academic, because they (or information
              they contain) are so heavily relied on by researchers, but hopefully put them in perspective in
              my comments. This way, hopefully, the same questions won't keep resurfacing (unless there
              is actually new information to add) if members get to know the growing body of resources
              and commentary here before posting. But if they do post re: topics already discussed, we can
              simply direct the inquirer to search the archives for prior discussion or to view editorial
              comments at particular links or files.

              More to come ...

              Thanks for your contributions! Martha
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
                Martha, a pleasure. Jeff

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2009
                  Jeff, you may be entirely right about William de Arcubus. It's certainly clear that the part of
                  the story about the coat of arms being granted long before crests came into being is
                  absolutely false. There's also a good probability that the rest of the story was fanciful. So
                  much poor research has served to boost reputations it could easily fall into this category.
                  However, I can't yet rule out that, as with many myths, including those of Irish origin, it
                  could be part true, part false. I'm skeptical (esp. given the account of Fulco de Bowes), but
                  as far as I know, there's nothing in writing to say that William de Arcubus (or Bowes by
                  another name) *didn't* live in Bowes Castle at some point, even if the other part of the
                  story is false. Is there any record of the castle's inhabitants? Might part of the story be
                  true?

                  I'm not sure if by asking if "we" can lay the Arcubus story to rest you meant you and I or
                  the whole group. For the record, I am inclined for this group to encourage everyone to
                  feel comfortable stating what for them is a conclusion, but I'd hate to see finalizing
                  matters *as a group* by putting themes to rest for all. Many have to come to conclusions
                  in their own time, after their own investigation. I would not want them to feel unwelcome
                  or uncomfortable if they are still pondering the complex past and volumes of
                  "information," good and bad, available to consider. Many also have long cherished family
                  stories that are hard to let go of, even in the face of strong challenges in the record.
                  (That's true on the Irish and English side.) I would also want *them* to feel comfortable
                  and as if they belong to this group. It's easier to be an open group and have friendly
                  disagreements between members than to be an open group if you have to agree to a list
                  of points to feel at ease and included.

                  On the whole though, the more I think about it, I personally believe you make a good
                  case.

                  > They were, however, possessed of lands in Bowes at an early period,
                  > but it is from this Fulco de Bowes, rather than the traditional
                  > William de Arcubus, that their pedigree is to be traced. Sir Adam de
                  > Bowes, fourth son of Stephen de Bowes, who was fourth in descent from
                  > the above Fulco, was a man "learned in the lawes," whom Edward III.,
                  > in 1331, appointed Chief Justice of the King's Bench.

                  I have the feeling there are more Bowes lineages from NE England then this one, making
                  telling the story of English origins more complex than being able to refer to "them" or
                  "they" and a single lineage. Based on some of your other thoughts I have a feeling this is
                  how you see it too? Hopefully the DNA project will help confirm or disprove this.

                  I agree there is no evidence I've seen of any Bowes having come over with the Normans.
                  Great list you posted. I've never seen that. But does it list all who came over? Was there a
                  larger "army" of some sort consisting of people less important individually such that they
                  didn't make the list? If so, did any of them come from areas outside the general area most
                  Normans came to Ireland from? I don't know the answers, and I'm not hoping for a
                  Norman Bowes come to Ireland (just interested in what really happened), but for the sake
                  of covering bases, I do wonder. Perhaps you've already studied this issue to have ruled
                  these possibilities out completely. I tend to leave possibilities open until I'm certain
                  they're impossibilities. According to what I know so far, though, I'd say a Bowes coming
                  over with Normans is more improbable than probable, but not yet disproved.

                  > Final thoughts. The Bowes-Lyon issue is a red, if exotically royal,
                  > herring. The Queen Mother's earliest ancestor who bore the name
                  > being, John Bowes, 9th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne (July 17,
                  > 1737 - March 7, 1776). The point being he was born as, John Lyon,
                  > only later adopting the name 'bowes'. In 1767 he married Mary Eleanor
                  > Bowes, and upon the request of the bride's father, assumed his wife's
                  > name. This change of name required an Act of Parliament. That family
                  > came not surprisingly from County Durham a stronghold of the Bowes
                  > name. This makes the Queen Mother's connections to the Bowes name
                  > somewhat distant and indirect, and certainly has no genuine meaning
                  > for those Bowes with English roots, who have perhaps been misinformed
                  > about the Bowes-Lyon connection.

                  Here I am more inclined to wax clinical and make genetic distinctions. I don't see the
                  Bowes-Lyon connection as altogether meaningless to any Bowes today who can prove a
                  paper trail to Mary Eleanor Bowes, but if it were me I would do my best to put it in
                  perspective. I would determine whether I was a direct descendent of Mary Eleanor Bowes,
                  and if so could then say that I and the Queen Mother share a direct descendent in a
                  female Bowes. On the other hand, they could share a common ancestor with Mary Eleanor
                  Bowes, making them x cousins x times removed, and have an even more distant, yet real,
                  genetic relationship to the Queen Mother. You're right that the connection is meaningless
                  in the sense of sharing a surname lineage with specific matching Y-DNA markers. The
                  Queen Mother has no Y-DNA and her father had Lyon Y-DNA, not Bowes. Further, I
                  suspect no one today could claim an unbroken female descent from Mary Eleanor Bowes,
                  though it's possible (I haven't examined her pedigree). Assuming the Queen also does not
                  have an unbroken female descent from Mary Eleanor Bowes, or even if only one of the two
                  lines or the other didn't, a female Bowes today could not claim shared mtDNA with the
                  Queen Mother. But, there are always autosomal chromosomes (the non-sex
                  chromosomes). If someone can prove relatedness to Mary Eleanor Bowes, I'd say they
                  probably have what is by now an invisible and genetically insignificant amount of shared
                  autosomal genes with the Queen Mother line. In addition to genetic meaning to
                  relationships, many of us value our family's story beyond the Y-DNA surname matches,
                  but for me it would be important for the integrity of the story to understand and convey
                  the exact relatedness. In this case, as a footnote, but not altogether meaningless. All that
                  said, I have no evidence whatsoever of a connection between my male Bowes line and
                  Mary Eleanor Bowes and am not looking for one. But I would love to have a "certified"
                  male Bowes from that line join the project so we'd know those markers, and I would hope
                  that would verify for some other Bowes, many of whom have been told by family they are
                  part of the Bowes lineage that married into the royal family (albeit through a female
                  Bowes), whether or not that is true. It strikes me as a major part of the Bowes One-Name
                  Study, while DNA study results and interpretation provide a means for clarification.

                  > In conclusion I feel having read around this subject that the Bowes
                  > surname as it relates to Bowes Village in County Durham, has perhaps
                  > two lines of origin. One being the earlier Danish/Saxon places name,
                  > Bogas, the original name perhaps of the settlement there, the other
                  > deriving from two 12/13th Century names, Fulco and Gerrard de Bowes.

                  I also feel sure of these. Hopefully the facts of it will emerge over time as we pursue all
                  this.

                  > I must state here however that I remain slightly unconvinced that the
                  > Bowes element of 'de Bowes' is Norman, thus I wonder if the name
                  > maybe some later corruption recided by chroniclers? What does appear
                  > clear though is that a number of Bowes are documented as have having
                  > held land in the area around, and possibly earlier, the time of the
                  > Norman conquest. This does not in itself mean they were of 'noble'
                  > origins or possessed of any formal titles. Could it be that the Bowes
                  > of Durham in question were Saxon landholders of some local status
                  > that either adopted or were given more 'Norman' sounding names? This
                  > would certainly explain the still, to my thinking at
                  > least,unconvincing assertion that Bowes is a Norman name.

                  I agree. I especially think Bowes itself is not Norman, but along with the other possibilities
                  you mention it's possible Normans (not necessarily nobles or elite as you say) used the
                  place name and their own culture's construction to take the name "de Bowes." In line with
                  your thinking, I just recalled from a linguistics course I took that French was the official
                  language of England for 300 years after the Normans came, so not unlikely some Saxons
                  conformed.

                  As the risk of straying off topic a tad, I lost the source but here's the note I kept about
                  this:

                  "French was the official language of England for 300 years after the Norman conquest.
                  During that time most of our original English language, which had a grammar more like
                  that of Turkish, was lost, along with a rich body of literature and philosophy in Old
                  English. The only reason the King's English came to be standard English was that when
                  English was reinstituted as the official language of England, the upper classes, who at that
                  time were busy acquainting themselves with Latin literature (having lost most of their
                  own), controlled and designated as preferred the new English that emerged. But the old
                  Greek and Latin perspective, which England adopted, that there is somehow a pure
                  language, is totally false from a linguistic perspective. Furthermore, language is spoken
                  first (most languages don't even have a written version). It is only in very literate cultures
                  like ours that it is mistakenly believed that language is primarily written. Thus, the written
                  grammars for English that came from the Latin branches (English originated along another
                  language branch entirely) became the model for speech among the well-educated--an
                  inversion of the linguistic experience that has only served to make millions of people feel
                  inadequate in their use of language."

                  I think we're learning a thing or two about the living language of surnames!

                  Clarification about the Haplogroup I1 Group 3 having Danish haplotype: I emailed with
                  Ken Nordtvedt today and he updated his interpretation in light of his growth in
                  understanding the haplogroup. He says they're definitely Anglo-Saxon, but not clearly
                  Danish at all. Do you know, Jeff, how concentrated were the Anglo-Saxon in the
                  Bowes/Danelaw, England area vs the Danish? Just curious. Ken was more inclined to say
                  this group is probably from Germany, but the percentages in the personal pages for
                  Recent Ancestral Origins don't yet support that. It says, "You match 1 person out of 8,388
                  people from Germany. Which is < 0.1% of the population tested from Germany," not
                  making the 2% threshold for "significantly" or the 4% for "highly significantly" indicating
                  the place of origin. Maybe as the database grows.

                  That's it for now. Will rest my arm awhile.
                • Jeff
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
                    Martha, as to 'William de Arcubus' of course people have every right
                    to consider the tale as being a genuine explanation of the origins of
                    the Bowes surname (in England). My comments were in no way an appeal
                    to limit anyone's freedom of interpretation. There are however in my
                    view serious questions about the credibility of that tale. For
                    example if we accept the story, based on a supposed manuscript from a
                    nearby monastery, (released into circulation around 1838 during a
                    period when certain Bowes of Durham were forging alliances with some
                    very influential 'royal' circles) we have to agree that the Bowes
                    name derives from the Norman period as a 'gift' in recognistion of
                    the supposed courage of one individual supported by bowmen.

                    Apart from the slight problem of heraldic titles and awards not being
                    given until much later in English history, we have to also consider
                    the placename of Bowes village itself. There are a number of accounts
                    that this settlement only came into being in the 12th Century, which
                    would, if correct, add some support to the Norman origins of Bowes.
                    However, if we look at the various names which the village has had,
                    we can see it was first called 'Bogis', a name clearly related to the
                    Danish/Saxon 'Bogas'. This suggests pre-Norman beginnings for the
                    Bowes settlement and undermines the notion that the village was named
                    after William de Arcubus/Bowes. Certainly that region was under heavy
                    Saxon and later Danish influence and it would not at all be
                    surprising that its beginnings are to be located during that time,
                    consider too the Danish sounding, River Greta, which runs past the
                    village.

                    Below is a rough chronological list of the various names given to
                    that settlement:

                    Bogis, Boues, Bouys (xii cent.); Bouas, Boghes (xiii cent.); Bouexe,
                    Boughes, Bowes (xiv cent.).

                    There are indeed no doubt many Bowes lines in County Durham, some
                    perhaps the descendents of the landowning Bowes from that region.
                    Many others will no doubt have been ordinary folk from humble and
                    difficult conditions. One wonders whose versions of history appears
                    in the records, thus far we are dazzled by the seeminglky fabulous
                    deeds of Norman knights and archers. I suspect the truth is more
                    ancient still and rests within the 6th to 10th Century, when Germanic
                    speaking peoples, first Saxon, later Danish, settled by the bends and
                    bows of the river which now runs alongside Bowes in County Durham.

                    Apart from the few hundred Norman knights (captains) which invaded
                    Ireland in 1169, the majority of the force were Welsh and Flemish,
                    with additional numbers of English troops. These latter came
                    predominantly from the West, and South West of England, regions where
                    the Bowes name is extremely rare, even today. Moreover at that time
                    many ordinaly folk had not then adopted surnames, only the elite had
                    begun to use them.

                    From: 'Parishes: Bowes', A History of the County of York North
                    Riding: Volume 1 (1914), pp. 42-49. URL: http://www.british-
                    history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=64715 Date accessed: 04 January
                    2009.isnot being awardedMy appeal, to lay that character to rest, was
                    a general call to focus on more solid ground in the quest for
                    establishing probable roots for the name. Regards, --- In