Re: [bowesvariantsdna] Anglo-Saxons in Ireland Pre-Viking?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
      Archaeological evidence for Saxon settlement in Ireland is extremely scarce, leading to a consensus amongst academics that there was nor significant colonisation by Anglo-Saxons in Ireland.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
        Sure that's possible, the Saxons were skilled sailors, however any reading of their history in Britain will show that their focus was not expansion into Ireland but to secure their presence in what was to become England. This was not achieved easily and took place between the 5th to 7th Centuries. Ireland during this period was a colonizer itself in Western Britain.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
          --- In bowesvariantsdna@yahoogroups.com, Allen Bowes <bowes2000@...> wrote:

          > Archaeological evidence for Saxon settlement in Ireland is extremely scarce, leading to a
          consensus amongst academics that there was nor significant colonisation by Anglo-Saxons
          in Ireland.

          Thanks for clarifying this for the group. I hadn't intended to imply that early A-S settlement
          might have been at all widespread. I did take note that in that recent discovery the remains
          were found at a layer beneath of Viking remains. That could indicate that there are more
          Anglo-Saxon remains that haven't been discovered in a similar fashion, not that it would
          amount to a lot, just that this was the first time anything like that had been found and the
          archeological community found it startling. I e-mailed the Irish Times to see if there was ever
          a follow-up on that particular excavation but I don't know if they'll get back to me. I couldn't
          find a report of it in the Irish database of excavation reports or an email address for the
          overseer of the dig. I'm not looking for major breakthroughs in the Bowes study here, just
          curious. I have not ever considered interactions with Anglo-Saxons before the Vikings
          original incursion of Ireland as even a remote possibility.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
            What groups were living in Western Britain at that time?

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
              The area of West Britain, which later was to be named as 'Wales' were (5th to 7th Centuary) under constant harrassment by the Irish, the region now known as the Llyn peninsular was named after their occupiers who came from Leinster. Other areas came under Irish control too, there exist many Irish place-names still in West Wales dating from this time.

              The 'original' inhabitants of these parts of Britain were in essence Celts, cousins of the Irish in a way, there was very limited Saxon encroachment into these parts, although the West of what was to become England (Cornwall and Devon) was to later (8th Century) finally succumb to Saxon rule.