Anglo-Saxons in Ireland Pre-Viking?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
      From: http://www.archiseek.com/content/showthread.php?t=16

      "What the article (Frank Kilfeather, Irish Times, Friday Feb 26 1999 ) said was
      Quote -The dig uncovered a "strange house" predating the Vikings' arrival, which is believed
      to be Anglo-Saxon. The director of the dig, Ms Linzi Simpson, told The Irish Times the find
      was "very exciting". While working on a Viking dig they knew immediately the house was not
      Scandinavian, and a comb found in it could only have come from Roman-Britain. The house
      was also found at the very lowest level, under Viking buildings. These three factors convinced
      them of habitation in the area before the Vikings arrived. Unquote"
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
        O'Brien, E. 1993 Contacts between Ireland and Anglo-Saxon England in the seventh century.
        Anglo-Saxon Studies in Archaeology and History 6, 93–102

        Our project's Anglo-Saxon DNA could've come to Ireland a looooong time ago.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
          Archaeological evidence for Saxon settlement in Ireland is extremely scarce, leading to a consensus amongst academics that there was nor significant colonisation by Anglo-Saxons in Ireland.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
            Sure that's possible, the Saxons were skilled sailors, however any reading of their history in Britain will show that their focus was not expansion into Ireland but to secure their presence in what was to become England. This was not achieved easily and took place between the 5th to 7th Centuries. Ireland during this period was a colonizer itself in Western Britain.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
              --- In bowesvariantsdna@yahoogroups.com, Allen Bowes <bowes2000@...> wrote:

              > Archaeological evidence for Saxon settlement in Ireland is extremely scarce, leading to a
              consensus amongst academics that there was nor significant colonisation by Anglo-Saxons
              in Ireland.

              Thanks for clarifying this for the group. I hadn't intended to imply that early A-S settlement
              might have been at all widespread. I did take note that in that recent discovery the remains
              were found at a layer beneath of Viking remains. That could indicate that there are more
              Anglo-Saxon remains that haven't been discovered in a similar fashion, not that it would
              amount to a lot, just that this was the first time anything like that had been found and the
              archeological community found it startling. I e-mailed the Irish Times to see if there was ever
              a follow-up on that particular excavation but I don't know if they'll get back to me. I couldn't
              find a report of it in the Irish database of excavation reports or an email address for the
              overseer of the dig. I'm not looking for major breakthroughs in the Bowes study here, just
              curious. I have not ever considered interactions with Anglo-Saxons before the Vikings
              original incursion of Ireland as even a remote possibility.
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
                What groups were living in Western Britain at that time?

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 5, 2009
                  The area of West Britain, which later was to be named as 'Wales' were (5th to 7th Centuary) under constant harrassment by the Irish, the region now known as the Llyn peninsular was named after their occupiers who came from Leinster. Other areas came under Irish control too, there exist many Irish place-names still in West Wales dating from this time.

                  The 'original' inhabitants of these parts of Britain were in essence Celts, cousins of the Irish in a way, there was very limited Saxon encroachment into these parts, although the West of what was to become England (Cornwall and Devon) was to later (8th Century) finally succumb to Saxon rule.