Kilkenny as Norman "Seat of Power" - clarification

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2009
      I may just be clarifying this for myself, but ... I earlier referred to Kilkenny as a Norman
      "seat of power" which I once read it was. I'd also read that Normans ruled from the "Pale" in
      Dublin. Now I read this which clarified for me that Kilkenny being a Norman seat of power
      was probably a reference to the powerful Butler family that lived there:

      "Initially the Normans controlled large swathes of Ireland, securing the entire east coast,
      from Waterford up to eastern Ulster and penetrating as far west as Gaillimh (Galway) and
      Maigh Eo (Mayo). The most powerful forces in the land were the great Hiberno-Norman
      Earldoms such as the Geraldines, the Butlers [Kilkenny] and the de Burghs (Burkes), who
      controlled vast territories which were almost independent of the governments in Dublin or
      London."

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Ireland
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2009
        It was indeed. Both Waterford and Kilkenny being the points of arrival for the original invasion, the also provided the ports for later settlement. Hence the degree of English colonization, which would later, as you know spread to other Irish areas. Ah yes the Butlers, powerful Norman family in Kilkenny and over in Tipperary too.