books

  • Jeane Robinson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2011
      I would like a reading list on Irish History. I'm interested in anything about the Kilkenny area, the Ely Carroll too.

      I have a few books already, I'm looking for your favorite.

      My husband picked up "The Feckin' Book of Irish History at Barnes and Noble for $8.00. It is a very general overview but FUNNY! I give it a thumbs up for a beginner guide to Irish history.

      I'm also interested in understanding more about the development of surnames. Does anyone know of a book that would guide me along those lines?

      TIA
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 25, 2011
        I was at the local university library yesterday and discovered two long aisles of books about Irish history, and that's in the middle of the desert! Five hours later I emerged back into daylight under intense pressure from my stomach.

        One of my favorite things to do besides prowling libraries is to go to used bookstores. I often take a peek at the standard Barnes & Noble or Borders, but I have found more unusual options at used bookstores. I always stand there and search the internet on my phone for reviews before buying anything. Often, since I'm not that knowledgeable about the offerings, a book will look just fine to me but I will decide against buying it based on the reviews.

        Unfortunately most of my books are boxed up right now. I'm not sure I have a favorite except that one I can't think of the name of right now has a ton of maps relating to various aspects of Irish history.

        There is a nine volume set that is relatively new and considered more or less the "gold standard" as an Irish history reference, incorporating modern research by expert scholars on the subjects they cover within the set. Unfortunately it is quite expensive. You can find it in libraries or at Amazon.

        It's called A New History of Ireland: "A New History of Ireland is the largest scholarly project in modern Irish history. In 9 volumes, it provides a comprehensive new synthesis of modern scholarship on every aspect of Irish history and prehistory, from the earliest geological and archaeological evidence, through the Middle Ages, down to the present day."

        I'm starting to think that rather than throw a little bit of money at a lot of Irish history books over the years, I should probably just buy one huge volume at a time of this set.

        Hope this helps, Martha

        Message 3 of 3 , May 17, 2011
          Last night I found my box of Irish books from the last move and cracked it open. The one with maps of periods from Irish history is called The MacMillan Atlas of Irish History by Sean Duffy.

          http://www.amazon.com/Macmillan-Atlas-Irish-History/product-reviews/0028620119/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

          Martha