Re: Bowes/Maher

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2011
      Good chance of it I'd say :-), and thanks for the compliment, though I'm a bit of an over-thinker! :-)

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 10, 2011
        Ann,

        I just found this Kansas Bowe/s reference: "Lawrence A. Bowes was born on 22 Nov 1837 in Johnstown, County Kilkenny, Ireland, died on 27 Jul 1914 in Louisburg, Miami County, KS at age 76, and was buried in St. Mary Cemetery, Louisburg, Miami County, KS."[http://www.oatney.org/Family_Bowes.htm%5d

        You may be able to use this information searching vital records in Kansas to find a connection to your family?

        Martha

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 10, 2011
          This was further down the page:

          "The connection between the BOWES and OTTENI families is through Lawrence A. Bowes when he married Mary Louisa 'Lida' Flemm, daughter of Theresia Otteni and granddaughter of Benedict Otteni. Lawrence and Lida, along with other Bowes family members, migrated [from Ohio] to Kansas City, MO before 1880."

          If you can link to this family your line is most certainly from Johnstown, Kilkenny, the same location where one of the participants in our DNA project belonging to the Ely Carroll subgroup of Bowe/s from Ireland has had family for the last 400 years at least. That in itself wouldn't prove you are related to the Irish Ely Carroll subgroup through your patrilineal Bowes line, but points in that direction.

          Martha

        • ABaugh9618@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 10, 2011
            Thanks for the info.  My John Maher Bowes was born about 1838, probably in Joliet, Il.  I haven't been able to locate any Bowes in that area.  His mother's name has been known as Anna Ryan, a widow.  So I am still searching.

            Ann