Re: Bowes/Maher

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2011
      Hello Ann,

      I thought of something when I read your e-mail to me this morning and thought I would post it here.

      It's interesting to see that your Anna married both a Bowes and a Maher in the US. If her son John's father, X Bowes, were from Ireland, it would not be a surprise to find that he had been from the midland counties (including especially Kilkenny, Laois or Tipperary) where the Bowe name has a high frequency. Some of these Irish Bowe families added an "s" to their name making it Bowes (my family is one example). In at least a couple cases they appear to have done this when they emigrated, but it's not entirely clear why. At any rate, the Maher surname is associated with the same area in Ireland, that surname originating around Cashel, Tipperary. Often, people of different families emigrated from one community in Ireland and settled together in a new community in North America. So I wonder if Anna married a Bowes and Maher both in Illinois. This might suggest those families shared roots in Ireland, somewhere in the midland counties.

      Through our DNA Project we have discovered that one of our Bowe subgroups from that region in Ireland matches a Carroll clan who were the past ruling clan of the Ely Carroll region. The Maher clan also has ties to Ely Carroll.

      If you have a living male Maher in your family, you could have him test his Y-chromosome to see if it matches the other Ely Carroll surnames, if it interests you.

      If you have a living male Bowes in your family, you could have him test his Y-chromosome to see if he matches the subgroup in our Bowes FTDNA project with ties to the Carrolls of Ely Carroll.

      See:

      http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?Group=Bowes
      http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?Group=Meagher
      http://www.familytreedna.com/public/elycarroll/default.aspx

      Joining these groups, when it's possible, i Ins another way to locate others related to your families of interest.

      Post back if you have any questions, Martha

    • dianebowe2002@yahoo.ca
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 31, 2011
        You have such a great brain for sorting all this out. My first john was married to a mary ellen gafney. I always thought may be they came from the same area in ireland.
        From: "mhbowes11" <mhbowes11@...>
        Sender: bowesgenealogy@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:10:59 -0000
        To: <bowesgenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: bowesgenealogy@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [bowesgenealogy] Re: Bowes/Maher

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 31, 2011
          Good chance of it I'd say :-), and thanks for the compliment, though I'm a bit of an over-thinker! :-)

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 10, 2011
            Ann,

            I just found this Kansas Bowe/s reference: "Lawrence A. Bowes was born on 22 Nov 1837 in Johnstown, County Kilkenny, Ireland, died on 27 Jul 1914 in Louisburg, Miami County, KS at age 76, and was buried in St. Mary Cemetery, Louisburg, Miami County, KS."[http://www.oatney.org/Family_Bowes.htm%5d

            You may be able to use this information searching vital records in Kansas to find a connection to your family?

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 10, 2011
              This was further down the page:

              "The connection between the BOWES and OTTENI families is through Lawrence A. Bowes when he married Mary Louisa 'Lida' Flemm, daughter of Theresia Otteni and granddaughter of Benedict Otteni. Lawrence and Lida, along with other Bowes family members, migrated [from Ohio] to Kansas City, MO before 1880."

              If you can link to this family your line is most certainly from Johnstown, Kilkenny, the same location where one of the participants in our DNA project belonging to the Ely Carroll subgroup of Bowe/s from Ireland has had family for the last 400 years at least. That in itself wouldn't prove you are related to the Irish Ely Carroll subgroup through your patrilineal Bowes line, but points in that direction.

              Martha

            • ABaugh9618@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 10, 2011
                Thanks for the info.  My John Maher Bowes was born about 1838, probably in Joliet, Il.  I haven't been able to locate any Bowes in that area.  His mother's name has been known as Anna Ryan, a widow.  So I am still searching.

                Ann