Bowes from Dublin–Ely Carroll

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 25, 2010
      I am copying this to a new topic for a new member who sent it directly to me by accident, by replying to her welcome letter after joining this group. I tried e-mailing to her to post herself, but for some reason my mail program is bouncing e-mails to her even though they worked in recent days.…

      "Hi my grandmother was a bowes before marriage she was born around 1895 her name was Teresa Bowes and my gt grandad was Richard Bowes who was born around 1864 in Ireland i do have more information on Richard's family so would be delighted if i can be of any help to other BOWES. I found your website when i Google Bowes surname so i do hope to hear from other group members."

      Having previously corresponded with this contributor, it seems that she relates to our Ely Carroll subgroup, her closest relation being kit number 30445 at http://tinyurl.com/2cdqyeo.

      Martha, for a new member
    • Jeane Robinson
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 26, 2010
        Hi to our new member,

        Coincidently I have recently sent out letters to the Bowe and Bowes families of Southern Ireland in an attempt to create a survey of who was living in Ireland long ago and as much information about them as possible. If we can create a census and map out our ancestors we might be able to untangle some of the family lines more easily. I would like to be able to add your family's ancestors to our survey. Please email Martha, she will send you my email address so we can correspond.

        Welcome to the group!

        Jeane

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 26, 2010
          It's interesting to contemplate how we might record all the data we can get from all the Irish family lines in a way that will most easily help us to find connections. I sent an e-mail to the Guild of One Name Studies forum to mine their experience for ideas. I know many of them use vast spreadsheets of BMD information, one row per individual, sortable by columns, and color-coded by families. Others might be using gedcom software to enter the known family fragments as separate branches or trees, hopefully connecting them as connections become apparent. Initially, I wonder if the best we can do is just to scratch it out on paper and see what emerges. In the back of my mind I picture being able to print out every record from the parish records online to help piece it all together, but it may be quite expensive because they charge per record at the Irish Family History Foundation website. Just thinking out loud here.

          Martha