Re: Bowe origin

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
      I admit to getting confused because it seems depending on the source of information about pronouncing old Gaelic words I get different feedback. I am guessing there were a lot of local variations which might be the cause of this?

      There is a large group of Bowe from northern England who do pronounce their name more like "bow" as him taking a… http://www.bdevel.co.uk/bowe/

      Tyrone also hypothesized that the Irish Bowe name may have come from the fact that it's geographic origins in Ireland are in very close proximity to the parish of Aghaboe in Laois based on frequency by parish in the 1911 census.

      Several times while reading a little bit about Ely Carroll, I have come across reference to that region having a lot of cows, apparently due to the O'Carroll sept's wealth as well as the geography. Now I would guess that there are a lot of places in Ireland that have a lot of cows! At the same time, the fact that it keeps coming up relating to Ely Carroll as if the two are eternally linked in the historic imagination, and the fact that we have a Bowe subgroup relating to surnames from the Ely Carroll area makes me wonder…

      Martha