Bowe origin

  • Jeane Robinson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
      Your post reminds me of that 'truth' that the winner writes the history. We must not only part the mists of time but also decide how the English interpreted Gaelic.
      2000, you've just become my go to person for pronunciation! lol

      Jeane

    • bowes2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
        Well as someone who since childhood who has had the interesting experience of people constantly either not understanding my name over the phone, or mispronouncing it as Bow (as in ther gesture to an audience) or Bow (same gesture) or Bow (as in the weapon) It became clear that history was alive and well and revealing my surname to be an Anglicized variant, which karmically English folks still struggle with to this day! :)

        --- In bowesgenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Jeane Robinson <jbowes110@...> wrote:

        > Your post reminds me of that 'truth' that the winner writes the history. We must
        > not only part the mists of time but also decide how the English interpreted
        > Gaelic.
        > 2000, you've just become my go to person for pronunciation! lol
        >
        > Jeane

      • bowes2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
          Let me try that again, minus the typos...Well as someone who since childhood who has had the interesting experience of people constantly either not understanding my name over the phone, or mispronouncing it as Bow (as in ther gesture to an audience) or Bow-EE (same gesture) or Bow (as in the weapon) It became clear that history was alive and well and revealing my surname to be an Anglicized variant, which karmically English folks still struggle with to this day! :)

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
            I admit to getting confused because it seems depending on the source of information about pronouncing old Gaelic words I get different feedback. I am guessing there were a lot of local variations which might be the cause of this?

            There is a large group of Bowe from northern England who do pronounce their name more like "bow" as him taking a… http://www.bdevel.co.uk/bowe/

            Tyrone also hypothesized that the Irish Bowe name may have come from the fact that it's geographic origins in Ireland are in very close proximity to the parish of Aghaboe in Laois based on frequency by parish in the 1911 census.

            Several times while reading a little bit about Ely Carroll, I have come across reference to that region having a lot of cows, apparently due to the O'Carroll sept's wealth as well as the geography. Now I would guess that there are a lot of places in Ireland that have a lot of cows! At the same time, the fact that it keeps coming up relating to Ely Carroll as if the two are eternally linked in the historic imagination, and the fact that we have a Bowe subgroup relating to surnames from the Ely Carroll area makes me wonder…

            Martha