New Findings On the Ireland Front

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 13, 2010
      As many of you know, one of the goals of this project has been to see whether we can use DNA to shed any light on our surname origins in Ireland, recorded in most Irish surname histories as being in Cork according to one story or another: http://www.bowesonenamestudy.com/findings_2/origins/irish-origins/irish-ancient-origins-cork/

      To date there is not a shred of evidence to support the explanations that have been put forth historically, although our study is still young and because of the historical record–even if it conflicts with itself–we need to continue to keep an open mind about a Cork connection.

      On the other hand, our Distribution and Frequency data for the Bowe surname in Ireland clearly shows that regardless of the pre-surname origins of any early Irish group still bearing our name, the geographic origin of the name itself is clearly Laois or thereabouts. Now that the 1911 census data has gone online, Tyrone has done great work mapping the surname variants by county. Academics have come to accept that mapping of the early census data reveals where a surname originated based on its region of highest concentration, even after migrations that occurred during the Industrial Revolution. The frequency of the name by county and parish is used rather than its absolute numbers. The Laois results are consistent using all the records so far available from the 17th century Down Survey to the 1911 census There is more detail on this at the surname website: http://www.bowesonenamestudy.com/findings_2/distribution_and_frequency/ireland-2/

      Next, we have a subgroup with four Bowe/s participants, two currently in Ireland and two having emigrated from Ireland, who match some other Irish surnames. One of the two in Ireland one's Bowe line has lived in northwest Kilkenny for about the last 400 years. The most intriguing of the other surname matches in this subgroup is a match to what is being called the Ely Carroll Modal which are the DNA results of a test done by today's descendent of the O'Carrolls of Litterluna, Offaly.

      Because of this subgroup's very early Irish roots and its historical and more recent geographic proximity with the surname origins revealed by the Distribution and Frequency data, this group is most likely the founding Bowe family in Ireland. Always bear in mind that our study still only contains a small portion of the potential available data, so for all we know there are more than one early Irish Bowe family from Ireland and the other(s) have yet to be uncovered.

      It's also likely that some other subgroups from Ireland were adopted in to this founding group, so even if their DNA signature doesn't fall within this subgroup, their family history may.

      Here's a link for this subgroup at the surname website: http://www.bowesonenamestudy.com/dna_project_pages/participants/haplogroup_r1b/r1b1b2a1b5/r1b1b2_group_2_participants/

      That's it for now, Martha
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 13, 2010
        I should clarify that while there is no "hard evidence" of the Cork connection, we do have a participant who has clues in his DNA that he could possibly having an early Irish origin. It does not match the Ely Carroll subgroup, so if he does have an early Irish origin it is different and he somehow acquired the same surname along the way. His page with explanation is here: http://www.bowesonenamestudy.com/dna_project_pages/participants/haplogroup_r1b/r1b1b2a1a/ireland_tipperary_-_bowess/

        Martha