Update

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 13, 2010
      It's been a while since there's been any activity on this list, but a lot has been going on with the surname study. I have a lot of e-mail communication off list with various members of the project. Over time I am trying to scuttle more of the conversations to this list so that we can all learn from each other and there is a searchable archive independent from my hard drive. It's a lot easier for me to read and reply to mailing lists then to keep up with a lot of individual e-mails, particularly as this project grows more active. Also, because of the growing volume, it would help me if some of you can help answer others' questions if they post them on this list.

      Two of the subgroups have recently set up their own Yahoo group, which is a good idea where subgroups have enough going on–or potentially could–that their traffic may not be of interest to those on this list who are not in their subgroup. Some of the those members are on this list also. One of those groups has a rare genetic marker which sets them apart not only in our study but in the FTDNA database as a whole. The other group I will get to in my next post here.

      Right now we have 17 members in this Yahoo group and 29 in the DNA project. (Two of the DNA participants have only tested mtDNA so are not really part of our surname study.)

      There are 12 subgroups in the Y chromosome chart. Some of them only have one person who is waiting patiently for further matches in the FTDNA database. Others are a little bit bigger. In some cases we are showing matches to other surnames either within a genealogical timeframe–when surnames came into use–or from prior to that. Where it is not possible to connect the paper trails between these different surnames (which I think is the case every time), we are using mapping tools to ascertain the geographic origin of each surname as a way of hypothesizing where the two lines may most likely have connected.

      FTDNA is currently upgrading their administrative tools and interface. They have always been head and shoulders above the other companies in customer and administrator service, and their dedication continues to impress me.

      I have discovered there are three or four Bowes who have tested over at ancestry.com but who are not in our project and probably don't know about it. I thought I could contact them if I manually entered my father's marker results at ancestry.com, but apparently someone has to actually order their results *from* ancestry.com in order to set up a Bowes (and variants) group there, which doesn't exist right now. Then they can get the e-mail address of those Bowes who have tested there who really should be in our project to help grow our data. Would anybody like to volunteer to do this? I think the test there is about $49. The idea would be for this person to set up a Bowes surname group for the purpose of directing people who are looking into DNA testing through ancestry over to our project at FTDNA, preferably before they take any test at ancestry, but if they have already tested at ancestry then hopefully to have them convert their markers over to FTDNA. This could be as easy as sending current prospects already in their DNA database an e-mail telling them about our website and including my e-mail address for them to contact for more information. Also, I assume ancestry allows some kind of description field when you set up a surname project there. Some brief language pointing out the project at FTDNA may be enough to capture those who are interested at ancestry but don't know about us and prev toent having more people who should be in our project sitting over there, us not knowing about them and them not knowing about us.

      We have a participant in our project who has taken on the task of trying to recruit more involvement from Bowes and Bowe who currently live in Ireland. She will be sending letters out in batches. We should get some additional family histories and participants from Ireland out of this.

      While FTDNA is upgrading their administrator tools I have been noticing that many participants in our project haven't yet followed all the recommended steps for making the best use of their involvement. Please visit this page at the website and see that you haven't forgotten anything (this list has been recently updated). These steps are both for your benefit and mine: http://www.bowesonenamestudy.com/dna_project_pages/dna-test-faq/how-can-i-make-the-most-of-.html

      I am regularly updating content at the surname website, sometimes with minor changes sometimes somewhat major. It is always a work in progress. Right now I am in the process of some pretty major updates. When I am more or less "done" I will be posting an RSS feed that lists all the pages that have been either changed or added. Over time I am "upgrading" the footnotes to conform to Elizabeth Shown Mills' Evidence! Style* for genealogists.

      Please disregard the links in the Links section in this Yahoo group that pertain to the DNA project's subgroups. I need to delete those since they are out of date and I have been maintaining this information at the surname website instead. I haven't looked at all the links here for a long time and may need to do some weeding.

      If you are on this list and have not yet joined the DNA project we would sure like to have you aboard. And/or, feel free to post any questions, DNA related or not, on this list so we can try to help with your family research where you may need it.

      There are numerous participants in the DNA project who are not in this Yahoo group, I will probably be sending an identical–or nearly so–e-mail to the entire DNA participant list through the administrative interface. Please forgive the duplication when that happens but I'd like to get everybody involved from one avenue or another updated.

      I think I will leave it at that for now, but no doubt I will think of more updates and add to it!

      [Sorry for any voice recognition errors I've missed.]

      Best to all, Martha
      www.bowesonenamestudy.com
    • Jeane Robinson
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 13, 2010
        I don't like the idea of separate yahoo locations for our surname group. I can learn from everyone. Can't we use the subject line to alert readers which line is being discussed? Our band of merry Bowe could be the Carroll/Bowe when we post.

        As an example I just learned that Bogue was a nickname for Sullivan. I wouldn't want to have to track down the Bogue yahoo group to share that tidbit.

        Jeane

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 13, 2010
          There definitely needs to be a separate group in your case, but I should clarify that rather than it being a Yahoo group "for your subgroup", it will be a Yahoo group for Ely Carroll. There are going to be other Ely Carroll researchers as part of that group, and over time a growing list of links, files etc. specific to those interests. It definitely needs to be kept separate from our surname study. They are also going to start a separate FTDNA Ely Carroll DNA study and set up an Ely Carroll website. It just happens that your interests span that domain and this surname study domain. Sorry.I am also cautious about having too many "irons in the fire" but there will be times like this when it turns out to be the best decision.

          I have been in touch with the administrator of the Bogue DNA group in the past. We know that there is no current evidence of a DNA link because there are no Bogues showing up as matches to anyone in our project. I do think we need to recruit more Bogues from the Cork area to join the Bogue project and explore that hypothetical connection in the Irish surname history literature.

          That name and some others used to be included as variants in our project because of supposed connections in the Irish surname literature, but I made the decision that when those other names already have a project set up for their name, that they would not become part of our project. If a match occurs between one of us and a Bogue or other variants with its own project set up, then we will get an e-mail notification and can invite that individual to join our project. Some possible variants that do not have their own DNA project are still welcome in our group, an example being our Buoy participant.

          Martha

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 13, 2010
            I should add that I don't think all the subgroups are going to need their own Yahoo group, it just happens that you would rather have one Yahoo group to go to but it is your subgroup that will have another Yahoo group highly relevant to its unique history. :-(

            At the same time I really appreciate you staying in this group for questions that are not relating more specifically to the Ely Carroll issues. I really appreciate that you get the potential of this group for everyone to help each other out the more we can get others to pull their chair up to the table!