Irish 1911 Census

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10, 2009
      The latest batch of counties have been added to the Irish 1911 census site (Donegal, Cork, Galway, Wexford and King's County (Offaly). These aren't prominent counties for our surname, but they may be useful searching other Irish lines.

      Among the many projects that needs doing in the one name study project, I am interested in a spreadsheet using this website to tabulate the number of occurrences of our variants in the different counties in 1911. If anyone would be interested in taking this on please let me know. It would be part of the "Frequency and Distribution" portion of our study.

      http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/about/newcounties.html

      search form is

      http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

      Cheers, Martha
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10, 2009
        I believe the University of Cork has (or is currently) researched and published an historical map of surname frequencies and location. Yer man over in Eire could maybe  tempt them with a stout or two and they may come up with the goods :) Over to you folks, Regards,

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 12, 2009
          Thanks for reminding me of this. I saw that website a long time ago (http://publish.ucc.ie/doi/atlas?section=N1001F) but they didn't have much data up yet. I've looked it over again and they are primarily using the 1659 census and Griffith's Valuation. I have the data for the 1659 census since our names weren't too common at that time, and for some reason the project is not including all the names that show in the Griffith's Valuation. Ours is not included in the list they are using, at least at this time. I believe it's still a work in progress, so I'll make a note in my calendar to check back in a year or so and see where it stands.

          Martha

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 12, 2009
            That's the one indeed, but according to that project Bowe and O'Bowe do feature in the 1659 Petty's Census, See http://publish.ucc.ie/doi/atlas?section=N1086C

            Regards

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 12, 2009
              Yep, that's the one I already had the data for:

              "Queenes", Barony of "Ossery": Bowe 10, O Bowe 2

              Kilkenny, Barony of Galmoy: Boe and O Boe 9

              Kilkenny, Barony of Gowran: O Boe 7

              Kilkenny, Barony of Cranngh: O Boe &c 5

              Wexford, Barony of Shelbyrne: O Boe 10

              Tipperary, Barony of Sleavordagh: Boe 7

              Kilkenny, Towne of Callan: "Roger Boe, gent"

              My goal is to eventually have the data from all the possible sources extracted into databases showing representation by regions and variants. I have a mapping CD that pulls England's 1881 census data for our surname(s) into maps by county and poor law union, so that will serve as a decent start for that country, and those maps will be at the one-name study site. I will need a few lifetimes to accomplish all my genealogical aims, which is why I offer a standing invitation for detail-oriented volunteers. Dave Barry's line sticks with me: "There's a very fine line between hobby and mental illness." ;-)