Here are the "legends"

  • the2maxwells
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2009
      There are family legends:

      The first appearance that I have found is in Nova Scotia in 1821
      where he married. We "assume" that he was born about 1795 because
      the woman he married in Digby, Nova Scotia was born in 1797. There
      are many stories or legends about where he came from. They were all
      told by his children of which he had 19.

      It is told that his father was a lawyer named Michael and his
      grandfather a judge. He was undoubtedly well educated and wrote a
      beautiful handwriting. It is thought that his mother's name may have
      been "Ann Christopher Carroll. The middle name "Christopher" is very
      vague. One account of is that he went to see his cousin Timothy
      Bowe, of Kilkenny, Ireland, sail for America and the ship also sailed
      with William Bowe. The said William had on at this time his father's
      watch and seal ring. The seal of the ring was a "Running Greyhound
      or Fox". Timothy Bowe became a merchant tailor in Halifax and left
      his money to the Catholic Church. William Bowe was always supposed
      to have been an Episcopalian.

      The other legend is that, owing to religious persecution and the part
      in which William was implicated, he had to flee the country and
      landed at Halifax, barefooted. It is creditably known that his
      family sent him boxes of fine clothing, In this legend he is
      supposed to have been accompanied by a friend named Brennan.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2009
        I am intrigued by the signet ring clue. I'm sure it's not related to any Bowe or Bowes
        family crest and wonder if it might be a school he attended in Ireland. Frank, do you
        happen to know of a "running greyhound or fox" as symbol of some school or "club" in
        Ireland?

        The combination of Irish Catholic and Irish Episcopal in the same family is also
        interesting!

        Martha