Re: New Academic Study Being Planned for Males from Bowes Area of England ...

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
      I emailed the study contact about Bowes lineage in this area and got this response:

      "Dear Martha,

      Thanks for your message and your interest in our study. We will see if we acquire
      any Bowes males in our initial recruitment phase, and if not we will include the name in
      our second-phase recruitment targeting specific surnames."

      Again, not going to help our projects specifically I don't think, but nice to get
      represented if it works. The study results should include some marker values, although
      not as many as one gets through FTDNA, and some amount of haplogroup info for any
      male Bowes tested.

      --- In bowesgenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "mhbowes11" <martha.bowes@...> wrote:

      > From a Guild forum post:
      >
      > "There has been an interesting account in today's Yorkshire Post concerning a
      proposed
      > DNA investigation by Leics University who conducted the investigation in the
      Wirral/West
      > Lancs, recently publicised on the Forum (and in our message list). They are seeking
      men
      > whose father's father was born in Cumbria, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Yorkshire,
      Durham
      > or Northumberland. The use of modern county titles is somewhat confusing, North
      Yorks
      > includes a very large chunk of the old West Riding - the wider Skipton area etc., where
      > Oddys occurred. I have emailed Dr King to say I would publicise the project on the
      Guild
      > Forum. The samples will be swabs sent through the post. There is no indication of
      time
      > scale, that probably depends on response. I hope it may be of interest to some
      GoONS."