Re: To Sullivan or Not To Sullivan?

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 2, 2009
      You'll see in the Eoghanacht Genealogies file that there are a number of "first" name
      Buadachs, but also O'Buadaigh specifically appears.

      --- In bowesgenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Allen Bowes <bowes2000@...> wrote:

      > The O'Sullivan connection may indeed be spurious, as it was based upon a few 18th
      Century references naming some O'Sulivans who had adopted the name
      'Buadhach/Budhaigh', almost as a 'first' name as we would now call it. The association
      with the Corca Laoidhe is earlier and perhaps more reliable.

      O'Donovan
      > says that they considered themselves to be a branch of the O'Sullivans who had
      adopted
      > this alternative surname. Woulfe, however, states that there is no such kinship."
      >
      > Another assertion by Woulfe to keep in the back of our minds and hope for clarification
      > some day.
      >
      > I noted that MacLysaght and Woulfe both have extensive bibliographies in their works
      (but unfortunately did not use footnotes!), but while MacLysaught' s consist primarily of
      works on
      > specific families written by those families (hard to judge the accuracy of all those),
      Woulfe's

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2009
        Corca Laiodhe was a grouping of peoples living in a specifci geogtraphic region, ie: SW Cork, the O'Buadhaigh were linked with them long before the Irish Annals were composed and Woulfe arrived on the scene.

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 2, 2009
          Please re-reads my previous posting, the OSullivans may have adopted the name Buadhach/Buadhaigh as it conferred the name 'victorious' champion, that does not mean per-se that the O'Buadaigh/Buadhach 'sept' were related to the O'Sullivans. As to the Irish Annals/ Eoghonact Chronicles, these were 17/18th Century interpretations, that failed to note that an earlier 15th Century specifically text links Buadhaigh with the Corca Laoidhe.

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2009
            Thanks for the clarification. Whenever I've seen Corca Laiodhe mentioned, it's always with
            (S.W. Cork) after, and never made it clear it referred to a group of people, leading me for
            some time now to believe it was a place inhabited by some of the Eoghanacht, including
            the O'Buadaigh sept mentioned in the Eoghanacht Genealogies! In fact, I see now that
            MacLysaght's wording in "More Irish Families" (1960) is: "The sept was located in the
            Corca Laoidhe country (south-west of Cork)...," not at all indicating they were part of the
            original Corca Laoidhe people. Anyway, I googled the "Book of Ballymote," which must be
            the earlier reference you mention, but can't find any mention online of it mentioning
            Buadaigh. I'm not doubting it does, but if you come across a specific mention I'd like to
            store it away.

            As to "O'Sulivans who had adopted the name 'Buadhach/Budhaigh' , almost as a 'first'
            name as we would now call it." ... I see now you were including the O'Buadaigh part as
            one of the first name examples, while I saw it as distinct since it is presented as a
            Sullivan line adopting it as a surname: "Maolodhar son of Sealbach had five sons ... Buadhach, from whom the Ui Buadaigh." That's not to say it's an accurate account of
            what happened or the origin of any Gaelic Bowe-s.

          • Frank Bowe
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2009
              Corka accordong to story/legend was a male child hidden in some container when soldiers came
              seeking to kill the male child, a spark flew out of fire which was purple , Corca means purple, and Laiodhe, has something to do with Oleary's or Donovan . I take it this Gang of Corca of the
              OLearys ,they were driven south by Dal Gais, who were connected and inhabited Tipperary and
              Limerick.There is too much to imagine its All fiction., a grain of truth must be assumed. The Penquin HIstorical History of The Vikings , and Cassels Atlas of World History by Doctor John
              Haywood, of Cambridge , states , Irish Tribes invaded Scotland and called themselves Scots.He
              is an acknowledged expert on the Dark Ages..
              I went to school with many O ' Sullivans, and never experience any that had not the prefix O , in fact to refer to them as Sullivan , one would have to be familar or gaging for a row , as  Cromwell
              sought to  make them conform by forcing them to drop the prefix O , meaning of , and Mac
              meaning son of, Corca probably gives its name to Cork. Corka I think had 11 sons , and another
              male 24 , so they were a prolific group , and no family Allowance.