The O'Buadhaigh Question

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2009
      I found the source I'd used! here's my entry in the surname origins doc:

      FROM http://www.goireland.com/genealogy/scripts/Family.asp?
      FamilyID=432&submit=Check+Your+Name

      "Bogue and Bowe are anglicized forms of the Gaelic Ó Buadhaigh, probably derived from the
      adjective buadhach, victorious. Bogue is usual in Co. Cork and Bowe in the midland counties.
      The sept was located in the Corca Laoidhe country (south-west Cork). ..."

      [NOTE: goireland.com does not state the source for their account. With the occurrence of
      other Buadhachs in early texts, how do we know Gaelic origin Bowe-s anglicized *this*
      Buadhaigh? , Surnames of Ireland, Dublin, 1985 simply states Bowe-s is a synonym of Bogue.
      Bogue is tied to *the* Ó Buadhaigh, but it's really not clear or evidence-based whether
      synonym was intended to mean "identical" as opposed to "they share the same meaning." If
      the former, they may both have origins as this son of Malodar. If the latter, Gaelic Bowe-s
      could derive from other Buadachs in the ancient texts, all simply meaning 'victorious.".]

      We really must try to locate MacLysaght, Edward and ask him about it. Any volunteers while I
      continue working up this website? Or is 1985 the publication date of an older text for which
      the author is deceased?
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2009
        Unfortunately I found that Edward MacLysaght died in 1986. He "was one of the foremost
        genealogists of twentieth century Ireland." His numerous books on Irish surnames built
        upon the work of Patrick Woulfe's Irish Names and Surnames (1923)."

        Next task here would be to see what Woulfe said about this question.

        --- In bowesvariantsdna@yahoogroups.com, "mhbowes11" <mhbowes@...> wrote:

        > I found the source I'd used! here's my entry in the surname origins doc:
        >
        > FROM http://www.goireland.com/genealogy/scripts/Family.asp?
        > FamilyID=432&submit=Check+Your+Name
        >
        > "Bogue and Bowe are anglicized forms of the Gaelic Ó Buadhaigh, probably derived
        from the
        > adjective buadhach, victorious. Bogue is usual in Co. Cork and Bowe in the midland
        counties.
        > The sept was located in the Corca Laoidhe country (south-west Cork). ..."
        >
        > [NOTE: goireland.com does not state the source for their account. With the occurrence
        of
        > other Buadhachs in early texts, how do we know Gaelic origin Bowe-s anglicized *this*
        > Buadhaigh? , Surnames of Ireland, Dublin, 1985 simply states Bowe-s is a synonym of
        Bogue.
        > Bogue is tied to *the* Ó Buadhaigh, but it's really not clear or evidence-based whether
        > synonym was intended to mean "identical" as opposed to "they share the same
        meaning." If
        > the former, they may both have origins as this son of Malodar. If the latter, Gaelic
        Bowe-s
        > could derive from other Buadachs in the ancient texts, all simply meaning 'victorious.".]
        >
        > We really must try to locate MacLysaght, Edward and ask him about it. Any volunteers
        while I
        > continue working up this website? Or is 1985 the publication date of an older text for
        which
        > the author is deceased?

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2009
          Woulfe came to a similar conclusion about the name Bowes/Bowe/Bogue
          as being derived from Buadhach, Buadhaig. Bear in mind too that these
          Gaelic names themselves changed a little over time, Buadhach being
          the earliest version, as far as I gather. The phonetic pronunciation,
          in Munster at least, as O'Boowig (the consonant emphasis on the 'B'
          would be heard/recorded as O'Boowee, O'Bowee or O'Bowe. Regards

          Regards. --- In bowesvariantsdna@yahoogroups.com, "mhbowes11"
          <mhbowes@...> wrote:

          > Unfortunately I found that Edward MacLysaght died in 1986. He "was
          one of the foremost
          > genealogists of twentieth century Ireland." His numerous books on
          Irish surnames built
          > upon the work of Patrick Woulfe's Irish Names and Surnames (1923)."
          >
          > Next task here would be to see what Woulfe said about this question.
          >
          > --- In bowesvariantsdna@yahoogroups.com, "mhbowes11" <mhbowes@>
          wrote:

          > > I found the source I'd used! here's my entry in the surname
          origins doc:

          > > FROM http://www.goireland.com/genealogy/scripts/Family.asp?
          > > FamilyID=432&submit=Check+Your+Name
          > >
          > > "Bogue and Bowe are anglicized forms of the Gaelic Ó Buadhaigh,
          probably derived
          > from the
          > > adjective buadhach, victorious. Bogue is usual in Co. Cork and
          Bowe in the midland
          > counties.
          > > The sept was located in the Corca Laoidhe country (south-west
          Cork). ..."

          > > [NOTE: goireland.com does not state the source for their account.
          With the occurrence
          > of
          > > other Buadhachs in early texts, how do we know Gaelic origin Bowe-
          s anglicized *this*
          > > Buadhaigh? , Surnames of Ireland, Dublin, 1985 simply states Bowe-
          s is a synonym of
          > Bogue.
          > > Bogue is tied to *the* Ó Buadhaigh, but it's really not clear or
          evidence-based whether
          > > synonym was intended to mean "identical" as opposed to "they
          share the same
          > meaning." If
          > > the former, they may both have origins as this son of Malodar. If
          the latter, Gaelic
          > Bowe-s
          > > could derive from other Buadachs in the ancient texts, all simply
          meaning 'victorious.".]

          > > We really must try to locate MacLysaght, Edward and ask him about
          it. Any volunteers
          > while I
          > > continue working up this website? Or is 1985 the publication date
          of an older text for
          > which
          > > the author is deceased?

        • bowe_f
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
            --- In bowesvariantsdna@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <bowes2000@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            > s is a synonym of
            > > Bogue.
            > > > Bogue is tied to *the* Ó Buadhaigh, but it's really not clear
            or
            > evidence-based whether
            > > > synonym was intended to mean "identical" as opposed to "they
            > share the same
            > > meaning." If
            > > > the former, they may both have origins as this son of Malodar.
            If
            > the latter, Gaelic
            > > Bowe-s
            > > > could derive from other Buadachs in the ancient texts, all
            simply
            > meaning 'victorious.".]
            > > >
            > > > We really must try to locate MacLysaght, Edward and ask him
            about
            > it. Any volunteers
            > > while I
            > > > continue working up this website? Or is 1985 the publication

          • bowe_f
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
              wrote:

              > I found the source I'd used! here's my entry in the surname
              origins doc:

              > FROM http://www.goireland.com/genealogy/scripts/Family.asp?
              > FamilyID=432&submit=Check+Your+Name
              >
              > "Bogue and Bowe are anglicized forms of the Gaelic Ó Buadhaigh,
              probably derived from the
              > adjective buadhach, victorious. Bogue is usual in Co. Cork and
              Bowe in the midland counties.
              > The sept was located in the Corca Laoidhe country (south-west
              Cork). ..."

              > [NOTE: goireland.com does not state the source for their account.
              With the occurrence of
              > other Buadhachs in early texts, how do we know Gaelic origin Bowe-
              s anglicized *this*
              > Buadhaigh? , Surnames of Ireland, Dublin, 1985 simply states Bowe-
              s is a synonym of Bogue.
              > Bogue is tied to *the* Ó Buadhaigh, but it's really not clear or
              evidence-based whether
              > synonym was intended to mean "identical" as opposed to "they share
              the same meaning." If
              > the former, they may both have origins as this son of Malodar. If
              the latter, Gaelic Bowe-s
              > could derive from other Buadachs in the ancient texts, all simply
              meaning 'victorious.".]

              > We really must try to locate MacLysaght, Edward and ask him about
              it. Any volunteers while I
              > continue working up this website? Or is 1985 the publication date
              of an older text for which
              > the author is deceased?

            • bowe_f
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009