Re: [bowesgenealogy] Re: New Academic Study Being Planned for Males from Bowes Area of England ...

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009
      Hold on to the fact that the name Bowes is strongly attached to North Yorkshire/Durham, which just happened to have experienced considerable Danish influx during the 8th to 10th Centuries
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009
        Meaning most Anglo-Saxons who went to S. England came directly from Germany, while
        some Anglo-Saxons who had migrated up to Denmark, then came down into N. England,
        making a heavier influx in S. England, with a smaller but significant percentage in N.
        England?

        --- In bowesgenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Allen Bowes <bowes2000@...> wrote:

        > Hold on to the fact that the name Bowes is strongly attached to North
        Yorkshire/Durham, which just happened to have experienced considerable Danish influx
        during the 8th to 10th Centuries

        Bowes Area of England ...

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009
          not really, we have to awarte of the misleading term 'anglo-saxon',

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009
            Anglo derives from 'Angli'[ which meant......Saxon ,so Anglo Saxon means 'Saxon-Saxon' these peoples came from what we now call Southern Denmark, Frisia (Holland) and Northern Germany.

            From: mhbowes11 <martha.bowes@...>
            To: bowesgenealogy@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Saturday, 31 January, 2009, 5:24 PM

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009
              Forgive me for not knowing the word "awarte"?

              Can you spell this out a bit. I wonder how Ken uses the term (if you know, or I'll ask
              him). What is misleading about the term? I noted your earlier mention that Danish and AS
              DNA is hard to distinguish.

              Thanks.

              "

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009
                forgive me for playing the guitar and having long nails on my right hand which results in typos

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009
                  Latin chronicles used the term 'Angli' which really referred to a people, from the same area, Angles, this term was wrongly associated with Saxons.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009
                    So the Saxons went from Germany to S. England while the Angles stayed north (N.
                    Germany, Denmark, N. England)? Presumably, then, Ken's "Anglo-Saxon" labels confuse
                    things without knowing how he's using the term in each group. I'll check with him on
                    that.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009
                      not Germany as we now know it, from the northern areas of Germany, Holland and southern Denmark, that is why it's tough to genetically differentuiate in terms of Saxons and Danes in the UK

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
                        I emailed the study contact about Bowes lineage in this area and got this response:

                        "Dear Martha,

                        Thanks for your message and your interest in our study. We will see if we acquire
                        any Bowes males in our initial recruitment phase, and if not we will include the name in
                        our second-phase recruitment targeting specific surnames."

                        Again, not going to help our projects specifically I don't think, but nice to get
                        represented if it works. The study results should include some marker values, although
                        not as many as one gets through FTDNA, and some amount of haplogroup info for any
                        male Bowes tested.