216Re: origins

  • bowes2000
    Oct 16, 2010
      An offering to add to the pot, as far as I recall the Roaches arrived in Ireland as part of the Norman-Cambro (Welsh) invasion/colonization, I have an understanding it to be a Norman name/origin and not 'English' in the sense usually understood. Hope that adds a little light.

      --- In bowesgenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "mhbowes11" <mhbowes11@...> wrote:

      > Diane, I just found a reference in "Modern Ireland 1600-1972" by RF Foster, p. 13, "[by 1600] Old English families like the Barrys and Roches of Cork had completely Gaelicized." I find almost 5000 Roches in the Griffith's Valuation, some in Kilkenny where my family is from (matches you), also in Tipperary where our other Bowe match's family is from. Slight spelling difference, but certainly could be a connection in there.
      >
      > Martha
      >
      > --- In bowesgenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Diane Bowe <dianebowe2002@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Interesting -My husband's father was named Roache as a first name  -how is that for original -I assume a family name somewhere in there but can't prove it -he came from the John Bow line who settled in the Goulds Newfoundland about 1840

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic